Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: laptop suggestions

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

laptop suggestions

i want to buy a laptop before i start my master's program in the fall, but i don't know much about computers. i do know i want a PC (unless you can convince me otherwise) if only because it's what i'm familiar with. price range is around $1,500. any suggestions?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Go with

IBM.....they are tanks and have good support.....just buy the fastest thing you can and max the RAM..... Look at Computer Shopper Mag. first.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RadioAgony
    i want to buy a laptop before i start my master's program in the fall, but i don't know much about computers. i do know i want a PC (unless you can convince me otherwise) if only because it's what i'm familiar with. price range is around $1,500. any suggestions?
    I bought a Toshiba Satellite series laptop for grad school and it's been excellent. It's lightweight, fast and has a mobile networking card built in. Two of my sisters bought the same machine since I've been so happy. I researched laptops for a long time and think they are the best for the money. I paid about $1500 a year ago, but think it's around $1000 now. I wouldn't buy an IBM, they are expensive and you'll just pay for the name. Dell's laptops are very heavy, but I'm sure the quality is excellent.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist
    I bought a Toshiba Satellite series laptop for grad school and it's been excellent. It's lightweight, fast and has a mobile networking card built in. Two of my sisters bought the same machine since I've been so happy. I researched laptops for a long time and think they are the best for the money. I paid about $1500 a year ago, but think it's around $1000 now. I wouldn't buy an IBM, they are expensive and you'll just pay for the name. Dell's laptops are very heavy, but I'm sure the quality is excellent.
    My dad used a Toshiba Satelite when he was working for a consulting firm and is now addicted to them. He hasn't had a single problem with it. My friend that works in IT swears by Toshiba as well, for what that's worth. Two of my friends had Dell laptops and neither had very much nice to say about them. One of them said that there is a reason Dell has gotten so good at customer service...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003
    Our purchasing folks only buy Dell. Two of the three laptops have had problems. One had to be replaced twice. One needed a new hard drive. Dell is very good at fixing their problems, but I don't think I would buy Dell for my own computer.

I use Macs now, but I have owned a Thinkpad (very nice) and a Sony portable. The Thinkpad was great. The Sony was not solid. Sony tries lots of new program ideas in their computers. Some work. Some don't. Then they abandon your computer to try new stuff.

Registered
    Feb 2004

admittedly a bit off topic, but...

If you're trying to stretch your budget as much as possible (once you've decided on the model), I'd recommend a couple of online forums, where people post deals they've found, either on line or in stores.

Some of the discussions are a bit cryptic jargon filled, but once you get the hang of it, it's kind of addictive...

http://www.fatwallet.com

another is http://www.anandtech.com.

another simple way to check to make sure you're not paying too much is to go to a simple price check website http://www.pricewatch.com
    Last edited by dogandpony; 06 Jul 2005 at 2:28 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I just bought an acer laptop and have had excellent performance from it. AMD Sempron 2800+, 512mb RAM, 60gb HDD, CDRW, 15.4" widescreen, 802.11b/g all for $1250 CDN. I love it!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I've had my Toshiba Satellite for three years and it's taken all kinds of abuse like a good sport. Very fast, relatively light, and has all the important features, cd-burner etc. I bought it for around $1300 in '02 but I imagine it's cheaper now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    hmm... i keep hearing that the satellites are too heavy to really carry around. do you disagree? i'm a tiny lady, so i think about these things.

but yeah, i'm definitely not gonna go dell. my sister has a dell notebook right now and she's had more problems with it than i could enumerate. i had a compaq presario in college. total piece of crap. so i'm thinking either IBM or toshiba satellite.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My school is in cahoots with IBM, so I got a good deal on a Thinkpad. Your school might have a similar deal with them, or Dell, etc. I would ask or poke around the web site. Also, you should ask current students for their suggestions. If you are using lots of graphics intensive programs, like GIS, Photoshop, Illustrator, CAD, etc, definitely get as much RAM as possible. A DVD-burner or external hard drive is good for laptops because they tend to have less hard drive space than desktops. Wireless capabilities are very handy and not too costly. Hope that helps.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    those of you with the toshiba satellite-- which model do you have?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    I just bought an acer laptop and have had excellent performance from it. AMD Sempron 2800+, 512mb RAM, 60gb HDD, CDRW, 15.4" widescreen, 802.11b/g all for $1250 CDN. I love it!
    were did you buy it? i am looking at nwe lap tops too.

Have it narrowed down to an acer or a toshiba
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005

Satellites

My satellite is a 1405-S151 model. It's definitely not on the light side (I guess that's the flip side of being built to take abuse ) but I have carried it in my back pack with no problem on shorter trips, and I'm not especially big or athletic. I can see it being a problem if you have to haul it for long stretches, if you have a huge campus to get around or such. See if you can get to a pc store and feel out what works for you. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hardware Best laptop for arcGIS
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Oct 2010, 11:34 AM
  2. What type of laptop?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 12 Jun 2010, 3:06 PM
  3. laptop buying
    Friday Afternoon Club