Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Industrial design standards

Registered
    Jun 2004

Industrial design standards

I am putting together a overlay district that would place require industrial buildings to meet a minimum design standards. The area residents are concerned how best to intergrate these uses into the area which is currently zoned industrail but adjacecent to some residential. So building placement is an issue as well as lighting, loading docks, building materials, and so on. We are so growth friend so our board does not want to do away with Metal clad buildings but minimize the pre-fabness. Does any one have any examples??

I found a post from Chet from 2002 but could get the link to work

We did the same thing - design overlays. They take the "fab" out of pre-fab. Beth - check out the architectural design guide section of this page:

http://www.ci.muskego.wi.us/planning...InfoCenter.htm

Thanks for the help

Big Owl, Join the club. We have been working on overlays for over a year, partly due to the fact that nobody on the board will help with them. We finally threw in the towell and gave it to C-COG to do. Be interesting to see what they come up with in relation to what I came up with. A thought on metal clad buildings, look at front facades of masonry or something else attractive and use screening to shield the metal parts. This should reduce the cost for the business and result in an attractive district.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How big are these buildings? I wrote a set of CCRs for a small light industrial district next to a new residential development a couple years ago. The intent was to encourage a design that blended with the adjacent residential, but the buildings were not meant to be more than about 15000 square feet (1400 square meters) at the largest. It has proved to be pretty successful.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mr. Owl;
    When I wrote similar pieces of literature, I found some great resources in the design guidelines / development restrictions for industrial and business parks associated with universities. The five I found most useful are: Miami Valley RBP, Univ of Colorado at Boulder RP, Missouri RP, Purdue RP, and USA Technology & RP. Granted when they went to council review, thay got watered down but they did leave alot in that surprised me. I tried to tell them that this was the "competition" and good businesses want protection around them. In particular I did not get the "no metal buildings" requirement passed, but I did get "no metal facades facing a public right-of-way" passed.
    Shoot big and then you have some give aways.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The lots nearest the residential will only allow a building no larger then 15,000 - 20, 000 sq ft. The other issue will be knock out pannels or temporary walls that are usually metal siding. When we did the meeting with the property owners it was neat in the since that the property owners of the industrail property wanted to be able to place the cheapest thing that they could to house a prespect industry and the residential folks wanted all brick construction and it totally screened even from the road. While we weren't all holding hands and singing kumbayah but it is as close as you could get because they both aggreed that metal buildings had a place in the area but did not have to have metal on the street frontage and the other sides could be metal but screened, brokened up with brick colums or something to make them less metal looking.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here is an example of a building constructed under the covenants I wrote. Metal is prohibited on any facade visible from a public street, parking must be screened and is discouraged from in front of the building, and the general character is compatible with the single-family homes on the other side of the street.

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2009, 2:14 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Feb 2003, 3:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jan 2003, 6:33 PM
  4. Industrial and Mining Standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0