Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Seeking Planning Employment and Advice

  1. #1

    Seeking Planning Employment and Advice

    I will be graduating with my Masters in Urban Planning this December of 2005 from Binghamton University. I am from New York City and would prefer to stay in the NY MSA but I am open to going to Southern California, Phoenix, Las Vegas or South Florida. I am kind of skeptical of working in the public sector for many reasons including compensation of course, but right now I am open to many possibilties, especially those that will get my feet wet in terms of practical experience. I am also very interested in working in planning in the Caribbean. I know it sounds weird but I am orginally from that part of the world.

    In short, I am asking for advice and possibily future networking with planners on this board in hopes that everyone can benefit from our association. If necessary I am more than willing to email a resume to anyone who may be interested.


    Miami Hurricanes 2001 National Champions

  2. #2
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,663
    Blog entries
    3
    Moderator note:
    Just as a rule of thumb, we normally don't allow "please hire me" messages on the message board. We used to have problems with "you will be hiring me very very muchly please for your esteemed agency oh most kind sahib" in the past, and most of the time those posting such messages never return.

    It's okay to ask for advice, of course -- that's what we're here for -- and to vent your frustration about job hunting. Networking, well, that's what the message board is all about, so we encourage you to do that. Be careful about crossing the line into a "please hite me" message, though.

    Thanks!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  3. #3

    Misunderstanding

    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Moderator note:
    Just as a rule of thumb, we normally don't allow "please hire me" messages on the message board. We used to have problems with "you will be hiring me very very muchly please for your esteemed agency oh most kind sahib" in the past, and nmost of the time those posting such messages never return.

    It's okay to ask for advice, of course -- that's what we're here for -- and to vent your frustration about job hunting. Networking, well, that's what the message board is all about, so we encourage you to do that. Be careful about crossing the line into a "please hite me" message, though.

    Thanks!
    I do not think I came off as just hire me. I asked for advice. Nothing more nothing less.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by CROSSBRONXEXPRESSWAY
    I do not think I came off as just hire me. I asked for advice. Nothing more nothing less.
    I suspect that Dan's actual motive is to head off anyone who might interpret the ambiguous title (the first words in the title are "seeking planning employment") to mean that they can post job requests. And I think he is also suggesting that you haven't had any other replies because it does sound kind of like a request for a job (given the title and that your closing line offers to mail out your resume).

    So, perhaps you could elaborate on what kind of advice you are seeking? You haven't really specified.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I suspect that Dan's actual motive is to head off anyone who might interpret the ambiguous title (the first words in the title are "seeking planning employment") to mean that they can post job requests. And I think he is also suggesting that you haven't had any other replies because it does sound kind of like a request for a job (given the title and that your closing line offers to mail out your resume).

    So, perhaps you could elaborate on what kind of advice you are seeking? You haven't really specified.

    I wanted to know about the situation in the planning field in the cities and or areas I mentioned in my intial post. Are these areas good for planners....etc. Nothing more nothing less.

  6. #6
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    I work for a local municipality of about 63k, I enjoy it. I have never worked in the provate sector so I have little to compare it with, other than other municipalities. As far as the public sector I find that I do not get to do much "planning" per se...much more ordinance enforcement and interpretation.
    Take a look at the American Planning Association website, there are a lot of job postings there in all different areas. I know there were 2 postings in the Cayman Islands a few weeks back, there are also several there in Oregon, Pheonix, Florida and California, many which do not require previous experience.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by CROSSBRONXEXPRESSWAY
    I wanted to know about the situation in the planning field in the cities and or areas I mentioned in my intial post. Are these areas good for planners....etc. Nothing more nothing less.
    Hey, no need to be defensive with me. I don't usually bite and recently had a rabies update. I am just trying to help out.

    I have no idea if anyone here knows anything about the Carribean. I know there are folks in this forum in NY, Southern Cal, Florida, and Las Vegas. I know we have folks in Arizona but I am not sure if they are actually in Phoenix. While you are patiently waiting for said individuals to get around to reading this thread and deciding if they have anything to say, you might do a search of the forums for related topics. International planning has been discussed a LITTLE. The locales in the U.S. have probably been discussed a fair amount, at some time, in some form.

    Relax. Dan is just doing his job. Without Dan, there wouldn't be a Cyburbia. No harm intended, I am sure, but someone has to enforce the rules if we are going to have a community at all. Okay?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Hey, no need to be defensive with me. I don't usually bite and recently had a rabies update. I am just trying to help out.

    I have no idea if anyone here knows anything about the Carribean. I know there are folks in this forum in NY, Southern Cal, Florida, and Las Vegas. I know we have folks in Arizona but I am not sure if they are actually in Phoenix. While you are patiently waiting for said individuals to get around to reading this thread and deciding if they have anything to say, you might do a search of the forums for related topics. International planning has been discussed a LITTLE. The locales in the U.S. have probably been discussed a fair amount, at some time, in some form.

    Relax. Dan is just doing his job. Without Dan, there wouldn't be a Cyburbia. No harm intended, I am sure, but someone has to enforce the rules if we are going to have a community at all. Okay?
    Ok it was a misunderstanding. Let us move right along. I am grateful for all the responses. Keep them coming. Again, no hard feelings. We New Yorkers can be very defensive at times.

    Los Angeles Lakers NBA Champions 00-02

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,055
    California is not too likely, as CEQA makes it virtually impossible for people outside of the state to break in. Some of the other areas you mention are rapidly growing and constantly seeking new planners. Of them, I would recommend Phoenix as probably the spot (in my opinion, only) that will be friendliest to planners.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  10. #10
         
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    tempe az
    Posts
    11

    I thought that too

    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    California is not too likely, as CEQA makes it virtually impossible for people outside of the state to break in. Some of the other areas you mention are rapidly growing and constantly seeking new planners. Of them, I would recommend Phoenix as probably the spot (in my opinion, only) that will be friendliest to planners.
    I am not so convinced of that. I live in Tempe and I have found that the places hiring want planners with a good deal if experience. And they can get it because it IS growing around here. When I graduated I had done a few internships in Iowa but that did not count for much here. Now I am trying to just get some kind of work, even if its unpaid. just so I can get SOME experience. I am an introverted person si networking does not come second nature to me. Luckily, since I kind of fell into a job as an insurance agent I hope to work on that skill.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally posted by blakrain
    I am not so convinced of that. I live in Tempe and I have found that the places hiring want planners with a good deal if experience. And they can get it because it IS growing around here. When I graduated I had done a few internships in Iowa but that did not count for much here. Now I am trying to just get some kind of work, even if its unpaid. just so I can get SOME experience. I am an introverted person si networking does not come second nature to me. Luckily, since I kind of fell into a job as an insurance agent I hope to work on that skill.

    Yes I have noticed all these jobs want prior experience. It is kind of like they are penalizing potential plannners for going for their masters degree. It is a age old questions education or work experience? For now I am happy with my decision but talk to me in 5 months if I am on the eve of graduation with no job. Then I will be highly disgruntled. We shall see.

    paz

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Employment application advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Aug 2010, 12:47 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 10 Apr 2010, 8:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Mar 2010, 12:05 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Mar 2010, 3:20 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2009, 9:28 PM