Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: London Attack (split from Did we deserve it? London 2012)

Registered
    May 2005

Major Terrorist Attack In London!!

****BREAKING NEWS!****
    ---LONDON BUSES AND UNDERGROUND (subway) SYSTEM BOMBED DURING RUSH HOUR.
    MORE CASUALTIES FEARED IN SMOKE FILLED SUBWAYS.

Fox News:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,161768,00.html
    CNN:http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...ube/index.html
    MSNBC:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8492258/
    Times (London):http://www.timesonline.co.uk/

SECONDARY EXPLOSIONS AT 6/5 AM E/C TIME IN ORIGINAL LOCATIONS!
    RIGHT NOW AT LEAST 90 CASUALTIES.

(Mods, if you feel it is okay, can this be moved to its own THREAD in FAC? I feel this deserves attention and discussion and may be over looked in this thread. Bill)
    Last edited by ICT/316; 07 Jul 2005 at 6:40 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Here is the BBC link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...ns/default.stm

Things are still fairly confused at the moment, but it appears there was 7 bombs, with 6 in the Underground and 1 on the buses.

Reports conflict over numbers of casualties and injured.

Registered
    May 2005
    Youíre right about the casualty and fatality count. Not a lot known right now. I have a feeling once the operations in the subway conclude the fatalities will increase. Itís hard to tell if this will be worse than the Madrid bombings (191fatalities).

Bill

Registered
    Dec 2004
    At the moment I'm just anxiously waiting to hear from friends and family who work in London. News still filtering through.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    This kind of thing pi$$e$ me off. I wish that there was something that the UN would do to prevent these type of things. The US, Spain, England... It is this kind of thing that makes me wish that the 2001 movie Swordfish was a real thing.

Sometimes people have to do things that are not all that good to prevent bad things from happening.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This seriously bites. The station I use every day (Liverpool Street) got bombed.
    Total SOBs
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Glad to hear you're okay Luca. This may seem a little trite, but I hope everyone you know is fine.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    one of the many incredibly garbled messages we got here was that italy and denmark are also considered under threat. My question is, what possible link is there between these three countries?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    one of the many incredibly garbled messages we got here was that italy and denmark are also considered under threat. My question is, what possible link is there between these three countries?
    Don't they all have troops in Afghanistan and/or Iraq?

Bill
    Last edited by ICT/316; 07 Jul 2005 at 9:35 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yikes!

Found out this morning that my cousin/aunt/uncle are all ok.....they were to be on the tube two hours after the blasts took place I can't wait until they find the scum bags who did this! I'll volunteer to put the needle in or pull the switch! Ooops there goes my liberal streak again
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Article in NY Times

The NY Times article about the attack contains a ridiculous quote from Bush:

"The contrast couldn't be clearer between the intentions and the hearts of those of us who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who kill, those who've got such evil in their hearts that they will take the lives of innocent folks. The war on terror goes on."

(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/in...rtner=homepage)

Honestly, I don't think he could be more of a hypocrite if he tried.

My condolences to Londoners.

Italy has (or soon will) withdraw its troops from Iraq.

Denmark, of course, hosted Dubya on his 59th birthday and was thanked by the Prez for its efforts in the WOT. Denmark has about 500 troops in southern Iraq and has had an escadrille of F-16s in Afghanistan (although I'm not sure they are still there or have rotated back home). The Danish papers (Berlingske Tidende, Politiken and Ekstra Bladet) are all reporting threats to Denmark, although no attacks up to this time.

Good luck to all our British friends in Cyburbia and to their loved ones.

EDIT: Text of the message claiming responsibility, as reported by BBC:

In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."
    Last edited by Gedunker; 07 Jul 2005 at 10:08 AM.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Now, will we be seeing that famous British resolve (a la WWII) or will we be seeing a bunch of Yellow-Backed Spaniards take over the show???

My prayers are with you guys (and gals) and we're with you 100% in this War.

Mike

Quote Originally posted by City-zen
    The NY Times article about the attack contains a ridiculous quote from Bush:

"The contrast couldn't be clearer between the intentions and the hearts of those of us who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who kill, those who've got such evil in their hearts that they will take the lives of innocent folks. The war on terror goes on."

(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/in...rtner=homepage)

Honestly, I don't think he could be more of a hypocrite if he tried.

My condolences to Londoners.
    What, pray tell, is ridiculous about that quote??? GWB and the rest of the G8 are in Scotland working out ways to alleviate suffering and improve the lives and economies of the rest of the World and these thugs are out to destroy all of that. What are these thugs doing to improve things?

Baseless and senseless political potshots are completely uncalled for here.

We will either fight these thugs or be ruled by them. What is your choice?

Mike
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 07 Jul 2005 at 10:14 AM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    GWB and the rest of the G8 are in Scotland working out ways to alleviate suffering and improve the lives and economies of the rest of the World
    You're cute.

And ironic.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    You're cute.

And ironic.

Mike

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Moderator note:
    Folks, let's not get out of hand.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    What, pray tell, is ridiculous about that quote??? GWB and the rest of the G8 are in Scotland working out ways to alleviate suffering and improve the lives and economies of the rest of the World and these thugs are out to destroy all of that. What are these thugs doing to improve things?

Mike
    I'm sorry if I offended you. I was simply referring to the fact that we continue to fight a war with enormous numbers of Iraqi casualties (and no foreseeable end) and Bush does not consider those to be "innocent folks?" If Bush really cared about "human rights and human liberty" he would actually take some steps to try and end our occupation. Why do American and British lives matter more than Iraqi lives? I don't mean to say that the attack isn't horrible--it is, very much so, but we also are doing horrible things.

You're right, though, political discussions (though it was not "baseless and senseless") do not belong here, so let me apologize for posting it, and please let's not continue this.

Registered
    May 2003
    I would remind mgk920 that he started off his involvement in this thread by ridiculing the Spanish, who lost 191 lives to terrorism, because they kicked a bunch of liars out of office who just happened to support his boy.

But yeah, this isn't a thread for politics.

I think it sounds like London dodged a bullet (bomb?) here, so to speak. I can't believe that they could set that many bombs off in a system as crowded as the Underground with only two deaths. Granted, the death toll will probably increase, but by this time they had already known that hundreds were dead in Madrid. I think it's safe to say that this attack wasn't on that scale. It makes me wonder if all of the security measures developed during the IRA bombings were the reason that this attack was so ineffective.

And my condolences to all Londerners, of course.

Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters
    But they only got London?!

Seriously, I have a lot of sympathy for the people who are living through this in London. The impact will be felt across the UK, even without the media's help.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I can't believe that they could set that many bombs off in a system as crowded as the Underground with only two deaths
    Two? I am hearing 43...

Registered
    Dec 2004
    BBC is currently stating 33 confirmed dead from the Underground, with no numbers as yet from the Bus bomb.

I do think that when the dust settles it appears that the number of dead will be far less than it could easily have been. Although of course that will be of absolutely no condolence to those who have lost family members and friends.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm really terrible at the whole "condolences" thing. My apologies for that. But I do want to let folks know my thoughts are with you.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Blair has come out with the usual stuff, delivered perfectly but I'm not sure I agree it all. Ken Livingstone (Mayor of London) has said this however, which I think is very good.

London mayor Ken Livingstone has condemned attacks on the capital as "cowardly".Speaking in Singapore shortly before returning to the UK he said terrorists would not beat the ordinary people of Britain.Clearly shaken, he sent out his defiant message after speaking to Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair over the phone.

"Londoners have been subjected to a cowardly attack - I have no doubt this is a terrorist attack," he said.

"I would like to thank Londoners for the calm way they responded," said Mr Livingstone, who has been in the Far East helping the successful London Olympic bid.

"This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful, this was against working-class Londoners, an indiscriminate attempt at mass murder.

"I have stayed in touch with Sir Ian thanks to the excellent communications we had in place in the event I was out of London during an atrocity like this.

"This is not an ideology or even a perverted faith," he continued. "This is just an attempt to kill innocent people.

And Mr Livingstone then addressed the terrorists directly, saying they would never beat the resolve of the British people.

"Ours is the greatest city in the world and we will not be divided by your cowardly attacks.

"I know you fear you may fail in your long-term objectives. In the coming weeks look at our airports, seaports and railway stations.

"People come to live in London so they can live the life they choose.

"They flee you because you tell them how to live and no matter how many people you kill, you will fail."

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    I do think that when the dust settles it appears that the number of dead will be far less than it could easily have been. Although of course that will be of absolutely no condolence to those who have lost family members and friends.
    You are correct on both points. London did seem to escape much more tragic loss, but that does not diminish the scope of the attacks, or lessen the pain of those who lost someone.

Is there anyone who is shocked by this attack? I, for one, am not. Every year there are probably hundreds of potential attacks around the world that are thwarted, but at least a couple will happen each year anyway. And I'm not so certain that any group or organization or whatever that sees victory in one or two high-profile attacks a year can be defeated.

My condolences to Londoners and all of the UK.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    Blair has come out with the usual stuff, delivered perfectly but I'm not sure I agree it all. Ken Livingstone (Mayor of London) has said this however, which I think is very good.
    Wow. Excellent, excellent quote from the Mayor.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2012 London Olympic Games thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 104
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 5:16 PM
  2. Hello from London
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Oct 2007, 1:40 PM
  3. London 2012 Olympics logo