Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Industrial land preservation - Chicago

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011

Industrial land preservation - Chicago

I hope this is the correct sub-forum to post this in.
    I'm currently conducting basic research on industrial land preservation policy in Chicago. I know they have Industrial Manufacturing Districts. If anyone with a decent familiarity of Chicago and industrial land policy could provide me some steps in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I followed this closely many years ago when it was first being acted upon. Chicago was a leader in industrial land preservation and other communities have followed. Portland was one of the earliest.

As I recall, the issue came forward as the near west side began to gentrify. Conversion of the older industrial buildings to residential lofts was only one aspect. The others had to do with the inherent conflict between the noise, odor, and appearances of manufacturing in close procimity to residential. I dealt with similar issues in a famed community where the planners thought all mixed use redevelopment was good, and failed to even listen to the objections of the neighbors (including a bakery running shifts 24 hours every day).
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    I was involved in it many decades ago when it was first being established...primarily as it related to the Goose Island area. They're called Planned Manufacturing Districts.

here's some basic info. What other information/contacts are you seeking?

http://www.icic.org/connection/blog-...hrough-pmds/bp

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by short timer View post
    I was involved in it many decades ago when it was first being established...primarily as it related to the Goose Island area. They're called Planned Manufacturing Districts.

here's some basic info. What other information/contacts are you seeking?

http://www.icic.org/connection/blog-...hrough-pmds/bp
    Thank you! I just found that article last night and bookmarked it.

Basically I am gathering research on Chicago (and later some other cities) to use as case study examples for industrial preservation policies. I would want to find out how successful they are in facing pressures for residential and mixed-use development.
    Of the Planned Manufacturing Districts I'll need to know of one specific example that I can report on in more depth.

I understand there was also an "Industrial Corridor strategy" in Chicago which I'll want to research.

Lastly, I'd like to get in contact with any planners in Chicago who are familiar with the issue. First to ask if they can direct me to more useful info and secondly so that the professor I work for can potentially meet with them when he does his site visits in a few months. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any info/contact. It would be greatly appreciated!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    Ev - I sent you a PM

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Example of new industry on old industrial land
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Sep 2011, 9:52 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Jul 2010, 7:37 PM