Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grow Your Own Meat!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Grow Your Own Meat!

OK...I found this somewhat disturbing. Apparently NASA has been able to grow fish cells in the lab and in this report there is an image of turkey muscle cells being grown in a culture. So the question is can they commercialize a process to grow meat instead of having to raise/slaughter livestock? I don't know about you, but there is something that doesn't sit well in my stomach about eating "artificial" meat. I don't like the whole fake meat/tofu thing. If you want meat, eat meat!! So I throw this out to our vegetarians out there...would you eat lab-grown meat if it meant that no animals were killed to make the product even though it really is the same meat you would eat if an animal were killed for it? How about the carnivores, would you eat cultured meat?

Grow your own meat!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I don't think I would eat cultured meat. I imagine vegetarians would, most vegetarians that I know eat fake brats, garden burgers and hotdogs. I have given garden dogs to my boys and didn't tell them any different, they would not eat them. I have never tried them (I don't eat hotdogs myself). But I do think if this eliminates the need to slaughter as many animals, go with it...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sorry, I thought this was a totally different thread relating to............. Sorry I just can't go there

BOT: No dice. I wouldn't eat it. I like my animals alive, with a head and feelings (that doesn't sound right), and then cooked rare.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cities grow more than suburbs
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Jan 2013, 9:47 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 06 Mar 2012, 5:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 May 2005, 4:54 AM
  4. Replies: 17