Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bath, Maine; any insight

Registered
    May 2005

Bath, Maine; any insight

My little bro is moving to Bath, Maine from Bremerton, Washington. I told him I knew just the bunch to ask about the town. He's in the Military, Navy and will be assigned to a new destroyer not even finished yet.He has been on the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis for 5 years. Did combat support during the Afgan war. I noticed it's a smaller city of around 10,000. Any thing about the city I can tell him? Thanks.

Bill

[clears throat] Well, I could be wrong, but I believe uh, diversity is an old wooden ship that was used during the civil war era.

- Ron Burgundy
    Last edited by ICT/316; 09 Jul 2005 at 12:32 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ICT/316
    My little bro is moving to Bath, Me from Bremerton, Wa. I told him I knew just the bunch to ask about the town. He's in the Military, Navy and will be assigned to a new destroyer not even finished yet.He has been on the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis for 5 years. Did combat support during the Afgan war. I noticed it's a smaller city of around 10,000. Any thing about the city I can tell him? Thanks.

Bill
    Yes, you can suggest he write it out as "Bath, Maine" so no one thinks he is asking others to bathe him.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    They're closing Electric Boat, I thought. Sorta like when Vallejo lost Mare Island shipyard. Good Luck to him.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Just spent a week in Maine on vacation. Never heard of Bath, Maine. Now, if you want advice on Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, or the Camden/Belfast area, I can tell you want we loved about those areas!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Isn't that the place where the story "It" takes place?

If so, they all float down there
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002

Bath Iron Works

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    They're closing Electric Boat, I thought. Sorta like when Vallejo lost Mare Island shipyard. Good Luck to him.
    Electric Boat is in New London, CT. Bath Iron Works is in Bath and constantly has rumors of closing but is still open (they closed its operation in Portland but kept the main one open.)

Bath is a great little town- not too touristy, some good restaurants (a good BBQ place called Beal St.) and nice scenery. Its near Portland- which is great small city- and overall a good place to be. I think he'll like it.

Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    Electric Boat is in New London, CT. Bath Iron Works is in Bath and constantly has rumors of closing but is still open (they closed its operation in Portland but kept the main one open.)

Bath is a great little town- not too touristy, some good restaurants (a good BBQ place called Beal St.) and nice scenery. Its near Portland- which is great small city- and overall a good place to be. I think he'll like it.
    Off-topic:
    Bath Iron Works is on the current BAC hit list, along with the sub base in Connecticut.Lieberman is fighting for one and Snow for the other...

I lived for a year plus south of Bath and really loved the country, especially the snowy winters. If I had my druthers, I'd move back, but alas...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Sep 2010, 10:22 AM
  2. Hello from Gorham, Maine
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 May 2009, 4:49 PM
  3. newbie in Maine