Urban planning community

Thread: Globalization of the Heartland

Registered
    Aug 2001

Globalization of the Heartland

We have just returned to cool Barrow, Alaska after three weeks in the hot and humid, but beautiful and friendly, Heartland---Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Wisconsin.
    We visit relatives and the Field of Dreams Movie site in Dyersville, Iowa, but it is also a great area to take a vacation
    One thing I noticed as a planner ----foreign companies taking over more of the local economies ----in the Amana Colonies of Iowa, for example, talk of Chinese interests taking over the old Amana appliance company, which had been purchased by Maytag.
    And in Keokuk, Iowa, resident concerns about some French company taking over a large local employer and concerns about whether it will be sensitive to local employment needs. That on top of big box stores moving in on the perimeter and downtown under stress.
    Anyone have similar experiences? Any concerns about local control of economy and community?
    Cheers ----Go the Distance
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hello, Earl... What comes around, goes around. We've been evangelizing for decades about the joys of globalization. It's a little late now to suddenly realize, as many elsewhere have, that there are nasty negatives associated with centralizing control and consolidation. These Iowansd probably all voted Republican, so excuse me if I lack symapthy.

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Apr 2009, 12:16 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Apr 2009, 2:04 PM
  3. The globalization of the economy.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Nov 2006, 10:41 AM
  4. Mini-Blog - Rumpy Hits the Heartland
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78