Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Options with a MCP other than planning

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Options with a MCP other than planning

I just graduated from Penn with a MCP, but I am having serious second thoughts about entering the planning profession. Any suggestions as to what one can do next with a MCP that is not public planning, planning consulting, non-profit planning, or urban design? Will having a recently minted MCP look well on my resume even when applying for non planning related jobs?

Registered
    Nov 2002

Development

Quote Originally posted by PennPlanner
    I just graduated from Penn with a MCP, but I am having serious second thoughts about entering the planning profession. Any suggestions as to what one can do next with a MCP that is not public planning, planning consulting, non-profit planning, or urban design? Will having a recently minted MCP look well on my resume even when applying for non planning related jobs?
    You can generally find work as a developer with a masters in planning.

Various non-profit organizations

Various non-profit jobs that require a Master's, but not a specific one. Organizations dealing with any "urban issues": poverty and homelessness, economic development, some direct social services, workforce development. It depends in part on what sub-specialty you had in school or other jobs- obviously it helps if your coursework included policy work rather than strict planning stuff.

Good luck!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Maybe you should hit the library (or bookstore) and look for books like "Do what you love, the money will follow" and "Do what you are" (I think that is the title of the excellent book on Meyers-Briggs Personality Type and career). My sister always told me I was an idiot for not getting a degree -- ANY degree. She has always quoted statistics to me about the percentage of folks working at a job that has nothing to do with their major. And some mention was made recently on a gifted list of folks with Phd's in ...whatever obscure science....owning a coffee house and similar "odd" career choices that made them happy.

If you want to do something else, the question should not be "what can I do with this degree?" but "what sorts of things would I LIKE to do and how do I get there from here?"

How about journalism? A lot of journalists seem to go the other direction and become planners. Or university administration?

You spent all that $$$ on Penn and you're having second thoughts? Sellout. J/king. Congrats, congrats! What did you study as an undergrad? That info would help a lot. I'm having second thoughts myself, I have a BS in geography. But I want to get my options open, which is why I studied geography rather than planning -- I have too many interests to over specialize. Furthermore, I'm looking into getting a JD and/or a MS Economics b/c they're flexible degrees. You might want to consider getting a certificate, such as one in public admin. Do you have an interest in public admin or public policy analysis? Certificates in this field compliment MCPs extremely well. Just a suggestion.

I've been thumbing through the BLS site. It might help:
    http://www.bls.gov/oco/oco1002.htm

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Follow the $$
    How about journalism? A lot of journalists seem to go the other direction and become planners. Or university administration?
    There is a reason why so many journalists become planners. Usually when we get tired of the long term unemployment.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pre-MURP job options?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Mar 2013, 3:09 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2011, 2:27 PM
  3. PhD in planning - what are the options?
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 May 2010, 5:44 PM
  4. BUP - Masters options
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Dec 2008, 9:18 PM
  5. Cul de sac options
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 10 Aug 2006, 9:47 AM