Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public safety agency facility plan

Public safety agency facility plan

We are in the middle of developing a new facility plan for the police, fire department, sheriff and jails. We have completed the public particpation portion of the planning process and are now getting ready to finish the analysis and write the plan.

Does anyone have any good examples of a "typical district police station", I'm looking for size, acres needed. Our police told us they prefer single story, but have no ideas about the size of the building.

We are also looking for national standards for firefighters per 1,000 population and police, although we have looked at similar jurisdictions population wise for police. The Police Dept. asked us to look at jurisdictions with similar crime rates. Ths county suffers from a high muder, drug problem and a car theft problem that is out of hand.

Thanks
    Chris

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd
    We are also looking for national standards for firefighters per 1,000 population and police, although we have looked at similar jurisdictions population wise for police. The Police Dept. asked us to look at jurisdictions with similar crime rates. Ths county suffers from a high muder, drug problem and a car theft problem that is out of hand.

Thanks
    Chris
    This information is available through publications that we have used at work, but I have not seen it on the net. You may need to hit a major library. I'll try to get you the source at work tomorrow.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd
    We are in the middle of developing a new facility plan for the police, fire department, sheriff and jails. We have completed the public particpation portion of the planning process and are now getting ready to finish the analysis and write the plan.

Does anyone have any good examples of a "typical district police station", I'm looking for size, acres needed. Our police told us they prefer single story, but have no ideas about the size of the building.

Thanks
    Chris
    I don't have formal numbers, but it has been my experience that the average town has roughly 1 FTE Cop per 500 residents (give or take), and about 1 per 750 for Firefighters... firefighter numbers can vary based on your department. Some fire departments do not operate their own ambulance, some have seperate Paramedics, and some require all firefighters to be EMT-I certified, and run their own ambulance from the station...

As for typical police district station... how many officers/etc are you going to put in a district station? How big of a city are you in?

It depends on the needs/wants of the local department... some towns will have a small substation in a high-crime area or a busy district that could be as simple as a storefront with a desk where an officer can sit.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't know of any communities using "firefighters per 1,000 population."

More practical is the NFPA rule (don't know which #) of 2 men in, 2 men out.
    I don't think it matters if they are engine, truck or rescue company.

Also the ISO (Insurance Service Organization) that issues fire insurance ratings has standards: http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/0000/ppc0001.html
    check out under "Selected technical subjects", then "Distribution of companies."

Under "Fire Suppression Rating Schedule" then "Minimum criteria for Class 8B"
    Specifically, to get a rating of Class 8B, a community must meet these requirements:

An average of at least six firefighters must respond on first-alarm responses to structure fires.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I don't know of any communities using "firefighters per 1,000 population."

More practical is the NFPA rule (don't know which #) of 2 men in, 2 men out.
    I don't think it matters if they are engine, truck or rescue company.

Also the ISO (Insurance Service Organization) that issues fire insurance ratings has standards: http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/0000/ppc0001.html
    check out under "Selected technical subjects", then "Distribution of companies."

Under "Fire Suppression Rating Schedule" then "Minimum criteria for Class 8B"
    Specifically, to get a rating of Class 8B, a community must meet these requirements:

An average of at least six firefighters must respond on first-alarm responses to structure fires.

Thanks- I'll check ISO for our rating, this is a lot of help.

Chris

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Consulting firm vs. public agency?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 06 Jan 2014, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 2:40 AM
  3. Public agency vs private firm
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5