Urban planning community

Poll results: Do you usually buy signed prints or originals when decorating your homes or office?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I usually purchase high quality prints, signed by the artist, for investment purposes.

1 16.67%
  • I usually prefer buying original artwork, because of its higher value and investment benefits.

0 0%
  • I dont buy art for investment, and dont look for quality as long as its appealing to the eye.

5 83.33%
  • I have never bought prints or originals directly from the artist.

0 0%
Multiple choice poll
Closed thread

Thread: Artist from Colorado, Hi!

Artist from Colorado, Hi!

hi everyone...
    introducing myself.. Kim...
    this looks like a wonderful active message board to discuss interior design, and other things..
    im looking forward to reading your posts, and sharing ideas.
    I'm an artist, and have a website,.. i sell prints to individuals and interior designers and architechts, of my work.
    EyesOfTheArtist.com!

~Kim

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah but....

I will gladly accept fine art as a gift from family and show it on my walls.....

Rare Bruce Cratsley Arizona Photo's
    120+ year old Colorado Geology Map
    Grasmere England Lithograph

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I will gladly accept fine art as a gift from family and show it on my walls.....

Me too, but the only thing my family has is "dogs playing poker"

Quote Originally posted by EyesOfTheArtistcom
    hi everyone...
    this looks like a wonderful active message board to discuss interior design, and other things..
    I'm an artist, and have a website,.. i sell prints to individuals and interior designers and architechts, of my work.
    EyesOfTheArtist.com!

~Kim
    Hello Kim,
    I hope you don't mind me looking, I am sick of looking at all the family hand me downs I have on my walls. There's nothing wrong with a loving family passing down such works to me, but I want to start my own "family tradition", and pass along a little of MY taiste to my children (If I could get them off the video games).

My question for you is this.
    I was looking at this link
    http://eyesoftheartist.com/naturesgarden1.htm

and it would appear as if this image is very long and not very high. The space I have over the mantle (5ft x 5ft) is not that much, and I'm concerned that this print, with all of it's squares, would be more than 5ft by 5ft.

Can you help ?

Also, this one http://eyesoftheartist.com/icblue1.htm is a very deep icy blue and would go very well in my friends pool house (once they finish it). Is there a way I can have him contact you ?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 13 Jul 2005 at 6:07 AM.

Quote Originally posted by The One

Rare Bruce Cratsley Arizona Photo's
    120+ year old Colorado Geology Map
    Grasmere England Lithograph

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    ok.. well pick what you want, and i'll send your family the bill. lolol

(joke!)

Quote Originally posted by Downing
    Hello Kim,
    I hope you don't mind me looking, I am sick of looking at all the family hand me downs I have on my walls. There's nothing wrong with a loving family passing down such works to me, but I want to start my own "family tradition", and pass along a little of MY taiste to my children (If I could get them off the video games).

My question for you is this.
    I was looking at this link
    http://eyesoftheartist.com/naturesgarden1.htm

and it would appear as if this image is very long and not very high. The space I have over the mantle (5ft x 5ft) is not that much, and I'm concerned that this print, with all of it's squares, would be more than 5ft by 5ft.

Can you help ?

Also, this one http://eyesoftheartist.com/icblue1.htm is a very deep icy blue and would go very well in my friends pool house (once they finish it). Is there a way I can have him contact you ?
    Hi Downing,
    Most artwork on people's walls becomes "part of the furniture" in the fact they stop looking at it and dont realize how it's dulled, gathered dust, or how out-dated it is, or how 'everyone-and-his-brother' has the same print hanging on their walls! Artwork is an excellent way to portray your taste and pull your decor together! People judge us by our ability to coordinate. If our house is tacky, then its assumed that so is everything else about us, including our personality! Its just the way human nature is,... we're very visually perceptive creatures. Decor needs to be fresh and clean, and appear that its just been established, even if its been there for years. This is achievable with a few touches here and there, and mostly in not losing the ability to see it as if its brand new to our eyes, not take it for granted thus ignored and not cared for (dull, dingy, dusty, etc). A few simple changes can work wonders, like fresh paint on the walls, a few new slightly out-rageous pillows, or by simply changing the artwork around a room. You can totally change or refreshen the atmosphere of a room by simply adding a few pieces of nicely framed artwork on the walls. If you have a few fragmented colors in a room that you cant quite seem to pull together, simply hunt for a few pieces of art with some of these colors in it, or have it done by an artist on consignment to meet your needs.

You asked about my painting, "Nature's Garden"... The print is 12" x 18" and your available wall size 5' x 5'.
    I would strongly suggest a matting around the print that would measure atleast 8 inches on all sides, bringing the total size, so far, to 28" x 34". If your not sure what matting color to choose, go with white. The olive green in this particular painting would also make a decent matt color if it coordinates with the room decor. A red matt works, if your decor is bold and fresh with reds in it. The total size will depend, of course, on the frame. You still have enough room to have a liberal selection of frame widths to choose from. This particular painting is vivid and direct, and can afford to have a frame that is wide and eleaborate, which would not deter from the artwork itself. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help in any way I can.

About my painting, "I.C.Blue"... i have a great idea! Go to my site and click on the RED "FREE POSTER!" button (which is on most of the pages). Print this poster/print off of my work and take it to your friend! It has my contact information on the bottom. Its free, and it will make you look great, too lol! I hope to hear from your friend soon!

Thank you for your inquiries,

Kim

P.S. "What do I do with the tacky family hand-me-downs?"

In light of the fact, that whoever gave it to you considered it a very cherishable, perhaps even sentimental gift of love, would it not be a grand idea to bless their life once again with the very thing they thought they had lost for the sake of love and family ties? I say you remove it from your wall, dust that sucker off, clean up the frame and glass (if there is glass over it), give it one last kiss good-bye, put a big yellow ribbon around it with a bow in the middle and surprise them with a once-thought missing part of their past! If they suffered for you, you can surely suffer for them!

woo!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    hi everyone...
    EyesOfTheArtist.com!

~Kim
    Welcome.

I tend to buy based on what pleases my eye, but when I do buy I tend to buy originals where possible. I especially love oil originals, and I frequently buy from the artist (usually minor, local artists) in order to keep it affordable. I do own some poster prints and whatnot (Picasso's Old Guitarist, Bill Brauer's Scarlet Dancer), but these were for decorating a dorm room.

I'm also very partial to charcoal on paper originals.

thank you for the welcome!

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Welcome.

I tend to buy based on what pleases my eye, but when I do buy I tend to buy originals where possible. I especially love oil originals, and I frequently buy from the artist (usually minor, local artists) in order to keep it affordable. I do own some poster prints and whatnot (Picasso's Old Guitarist, Bill Brauer's Scarlet Dancer), but these were for decorating a dorm room.

I'm also very partial to charcoal on paper originals.
    ~~~~~~~~
    thank you for the welcome, abrowne...
    Its wonderful to hear that you buy from the artist, when purchasing artwork. I love discovering local artists, wherever I go. Always easy to find their work, hidden in little galleries along side the roads while traveling, or at fairs and such. Its marvelous to converse with the artist themselves, of a work you are interested in or purchase! In buying from the artists themselves you know the money goes directly to the person who did all the work!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is not an easy question to answer because I do both. Most of my art glass and pottery are original pieces. I have several limited edition prints and a handful of originals, either oils or etchings. I have mentioned before that one of my favorite artists is Sarah Rogers. I have three of her works, along with originals by Leon Pescheret and Mary Haiplek. My most recent purchase was a limited edition print (of 25) by Paul Goble.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    This is not an easy question to answer because I do both. Most of my art glass and pottery are original pieces. I have several limited edition prints and a handful of originals, either oils or etchings. I have mentioned before that one of my favorite artists is Sarah Rogers. I have three of her works, along with originals by Leon Pescheret and Mary Haiplek. My most recent purchase was a limited edition print (of 25) by Paul Goble.

Thanks for the tip. I'm allways look for a new artist, and I agree with your point about dirrect from the artist is by far the best way to go.
    http://www.westerngold.com/images/co...g/SR010302.jpg

This Sarah Rodgers piece I find interesting, but there's also one she did about wolves on her web site, the 2 eyes and the nose clearly stand out. It reminds of the night I spent in Colorodo once, the sound of the coyots at night sounded like a bunch of drunks staggering home from a pub after close.

What would really be funny, I think, would be to have a painting of of a bunch of drunks staggering home from pub called "Colorodo Wolves" . . . lol

About my painting, "I.C.Blue"... i have a great idea! Go to my site and click on the RED "FREE POSTER!" button (which is on most of the pages). Print this poster/print off of my work and take it to your friend! It has my contact information on the bottom. Its free, and it will make you look great, too lol! I hope to hear from your friend soon!

Thank you for your inquiries,

Kim

P.S. "What do I do with the tacky family hand-me-downs?"

In light of the fact, that whoever gave it to you considered it a very cherishable, perhaps even sentimental gift of love, would it not be a grand idea to bless their life once again with the very thing they thought they had lost for the sake of love and family ties? I say you remove it from your wall, dust that sucker off, clean up the frame and glass (if there is glass over it), give it one last kiss good-bye, put a big yellow ribbon around it with a bow in the middle and surprise them with a once-thought missing part of their past! If they suffered for you, you can surely suffer for them!

woo!
    I have to tell you . .this really made me laugh.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Dec 2012, 7:38 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 6:49 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 5:39 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 26 Oct 2005, 10:17 PM
  5. Revenge of the tattoo artist...
    Friday Afternoon Club