Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Business hours of operation

Registered
    May 2003

Business hours of operation

I'm looking for examples of communities, particularly in the Midwest, that have an ordinance (either as part of the Zoning Ordinance or elsewhere in the municipal code) that regulates the hours of operations of businesses. I have a client (a classic "streetcar suburb") with a small business district, that prohibits businesses from being open between 11 pm and 6 am. The district has been slowly evolving into more of an arts and entertainment district and the restaurant venues have been asking to be open later. In addition, a major redevelopment within the district contends that they have had difficulty attracting the right tenants due to the hours restrictions. I'm interested in knowing if the community 1) has such an ordinance, 2) what hours, and 3) do the restrictions apply to all businesses, or do they have different requirements for different businesses (i.e., restaurants with liqour licenses may be open later than retail uses, etc.). Any examples would be helpful. Thanks.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    May 2005
    San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
    Well, I know that in Germany stores are limited to certain hours....

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We are considering enactment of an Exterior Lighting Ordinance in order to reduce glare (primarily into residential areas), and save energy by requiring lights off after normal business hours.

We have not yet defined limits on hours for businesses or areas, but it may be part of the draft ordinance.

Have not had a public hearing yet.

We also rely on the "Nuisance" clause regarding lighting, noise (including drive-up window speaker noise), hours, glare, etc.

Have not had significant problems yet.

Registered
    May 2003
    You might want to check out Whitefish Bay, WI. I know they have regulations regarding their business operating hours but I don't remember what they are. They are a former streetcar suburb with main street areas that is upscale. Good Luck.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Just repeal the 'hours of operation" provision. Add performance standards if there is fear of neighborhood disruption.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Mar 2012, 6:55 PM
  2. Odd business hours
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 25 Feb 2010, 5:49 PM
  3. Big box retail 24 hour operation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Jan 2008, 11:14 AM