http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...ographical.jsp

Michigan
    Great Lakes Loons
    West Michigan Whitecaps

Ohio
    Lake County Captains

Pennsylvania
    Erie SeaWolves
    I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, but the Toledo Mudhens play almost across the street from the Maumee, a major river that flows about a mile to Lake Erie. Both Mudhens and Loons are birds. While loons are more common than mudhens, I would assume that they are both wetland animals because where else would you find a muddy hen?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

King Coal

Fans of the Great Lakes and the history of commerce on these huge bodies of water should enjoy the attached video. I looked for a date that it was filmed, didn;t see. Perhaps late 1940s?

Check it out.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNkvhezzy5A

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The new US Mint America the Beautiful Quarters featuring the Great Lakes:

Scheduled for release in / State / Site
    2013 Ohio Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial
    2018 Michigan Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
    2018 Wisconsin Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
    2018 Minnesota Voyageurs National Park

more info at: http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...n=siteRegister

Has anybody visited these ?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The Great Lakes. I know thee well. I grew up in Chicago and so of course spent many days of my childhood swimming at North Avenue or Oak Street Beach, on Grant Park at Buckingham Fountain, more recently at Navy Pier, or visiting the museums right on Lake Michigan such as the Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, or the Field Museum of Natural History. I've watch games at Soldier Field and been to the auto show at the old McCormick Place, also right on the lakefront. I've seen the Air & Water Show from the roof of my buddy's 60 story apartment building right on the lake. I've also been to Summerfest in Milwaukee and seen concerts on the lakefront. I've been to the Warren Dunes in SW Michigan and visited a family summer home in Saugutuck, MI (and spent my honeymoon there, as well!). I've seen the lighthouse in South Haven and the windmill in Holland (very close by to the lake).

Visited friends who live in St. Claire Shores, MI, just north of Detroit and we took their boat out on Lake St. Clair for a day. After that we headed to Toronto and got to see the Toronto lakefront and beaches on Lake Ontario. We headed along the coast through Mississauga and then eat along the south shore a little ways to Niagara Falls.

I spent one summer at Camp Perry near Port Clinton on the south shore of Lake Erie. Headed over to Sandusky to Cedar Point and over to Cleveland, as well. Also got to party for an evening at Put In Bay.

Those are my experiences with the Great Lakes so far. I still want to make it someday to Huron and Superior. In fact, it is a goal of mine to do a long vacation of travel along the shore around the outer boundaries of the Great Lakes, starting in Chicago and going all around Michigan, along the south shores of Erie and Ontario, then along the north shores of Ontario, Erie, Huron and Superior before heading down the east shore of Lake Michigan (making sure to spend time in Door County, of course).
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    HEADLINE: Invasive carp threatens Great Lakes
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ian-carp_N.htm

HIGHLIGHTS:
    The Asian carp, a voracious eater that has no predators and negligible worth as a commercial or sport fish....
    .... imperiling the native fish of the lakes and a $7 billion fishing and recreation industry.

The Great Lakes have struggled for decades from more than 150 invasive species brought in by ocean-going vessels dumping water from around the world. The Asian carp is the first major threat to come from the other direction, upstream from the Mississippi River.
    The Youtube video of this fish jumping .
    What a problem.
    Has anybody caught one of these ?
    I would not want to be downwind of the landfill.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The carp story has been monitored closely for the last couple of years actually. There have already been some very destructive species that have been introduced into our ecosystem including the sea lamprey and the zebra mussle. The scary thing about these carp is that they eat about half thier weight per day and dine on plankton. This means that all the other fishies are going to be sol (and I don't mean sun!).

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Registered
    May 2003

Boise @ International Falls

Not really a Great Lakes location but, due to location in a Great Lakes state I have placed this blurb in this thread.....

The big Boise paper mill in International Falls, MN, is celebrating 100 years. The mill dominates the CBD of the town that celebrates a moniker of "Icebox of the Nation". Rail fans would love the town because railcars are everywhere.

This Bear was in International Falls quite a few years ago, with Wife.3. We stopped at the Viking Bar in the CBD. Only had a drink or two because all of the mill workers in the bar were hitting on my wife.

The Falls gets pretty dang cold in the winter, often experiencing weeks on-end with high temperatures of minus-20F. Yes, high temps! If you drive a short distance east, Rainy Lake and dense forest dominate. The entire area encircling International Falls (and Fort Frances, ON, CN) is north woods forest and thousands of lakes.

Bear

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    HEADLINE: Great Lakes' golden age on view at museum ship
    Decommissioned 1925 iron ore carrier William G. Mather docked on waterfront in Cleveland
    http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=228975

You can explore the Mather on a do-it-yourself tour - just follow the orange directional signals on the deck - in about 90 minutes. That requires going up and down ladders between decks.

The Mather is certainly not the only ore boat that has become a floating maritime museum on the Great Lakes. Others have been established in Duluth, Minn.; Superior, Wis.; Sault Ste. Marie, Mich; and Toledo.
    Has anyone tour any of these ?

The William G. Mather website: http://www.greatscience.com/mather_museum.php

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    HEADLINE: Great Lakes' golden age on view at museum ship
    Decommissioned 1925 iron ore carrier William G. Mather docked on waterfront in Cleveland
    http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=228975

Has anyone tour any of these ?
    I've toured the Valley Camp in the Soo. It was great. I also did the aircraft carrier in San Diego, big boats are fun!

Registered
    May 2003

Great Lakes VS Ocean

This Bear did the Valley Camp tour in the Soo, many moons ago. Very cool, very cool.

A couple weeks ago at the workplace I was discussing vacations with a fellow worker-bee. He was heading to the New Jersey coast for his vacation. We bantered about over the differences between swimming in the ocean and swimming in the Great Lakes. I know that when you see the annual "Best Beaches" lists you very seldom see a Great Lakes' beach listed. I have to say.....I would much rather swim in the Great Lakes than in the ocean. Reasoning.....

No sharks.
    No sting-rays.
    No salt water in your mouth.
    No salt water in your eyes.

Admit.....many Great Lakes "swimming holes" are often addicted with pollution problems. Note that the invasive species Zebra Mollusk has really cleaned-up the waters of Lake Erie's Western Basin. Here's where I have swam in the Great Lakes.....

Lake Erie (numerous beaches, off of boats, primarily Western Basin....which is shallow (20'-40').
    Maumee River (largest river feeding the Great Lakes).
    Ottawa River (Toledo's heavily-polluted small stream).
    Lake Erie (Fairport Harbor area.....Middle Basin.)
    Lake Erie (Point Pelee, Canada. Topless women. Ugh.
    Lake St. Clair (Metropolitan Beach).
    Lake Huron (Thumb beaches, "Sunrise Side" of Michigan, the "Snows".)
    Lake Michigan (Many beaches in Upper Peninsula, Chicago's Ohio Street Beach.)
    Lake Michigan (Sleeping Bear area, Waugashonce Point)
    Lake Superior (Keweenaw Peninsula, most lakeshore counties of YooPee.)

Never swam in Lake Ontario.

My ocean swims included just north of Boston, St. Pete area, and west of Olympic National Park (Washington). Starfish are neat.

IMO, the Great Lakes win this contest. I know that I am in the minority.

Bear

Registered
    May 2003

Lake Erie Islands

Lake Erie's Western Basin is relatively shallow, compared to the balance of Lake Erie. The lake's average depth is much shallower than all of the other Great Lakes. The Western Basin's depth does help create a batch of islands that are pretty damn cool. Summary follows:

South Bass Island - Home to the "drinking village with a fishing problem", Put-In-Bay. Famous for a significant USA vs England naval battle it is also home to the world's most massive Doric column (352'), the Perry Peace Monument. The downtown Put-In-Bay area is loaded with bars and restaurants. Warm weather months see a huge influx of day tourists and recent years have seen a number of overnight accomodations kick in. The rocky shoreline is famous for smallmouth bass fishing. The regular resident population of the island is 631. For the regulars who stay during the off-season, when the lake freezes over they use the air service to reach the mainland. Otherwise, the island is served by a couple of different ferry services.

Middle Bass Island - Vinyards dominate this island. It was the home of Lonz Winery, a really interesting structure. However, a floor collapsed about a decade ago and the popular drinking spot was closed. 95 year-round residents live here. There is great swimming just off the east shore, at Schoolhouse Bay.

North Bass Island - This island has about 24 residents.

Hens & Chicks - There are a few rock outcrops, mini-islands, that are a haven for birds and a problem for navigators. These are near North Bass Island, within Canadian waters.

Rattlesnake Island - This small island, west of South Bass Island, does have rattlesnakes. This island is owned by a private club.

West Sister Island - This uninhabited island, between Toledo's Maumee Bay and South Bass Island, is a National Wildlife Refuge. The walleye fishing around the island is superb. On summer days, during the week and on the weekends, thousands of small boats will be trolling around this island. The fishing in Lake Erie's Wastern Basin creates the for-real title of "Walleye Capitol of the World".

Mouse Island - This small wooded island is just off shore from the mainland's Catawba Point. It is a favorite spot for white perch fishing, summer (boats) and winter (thru the ice).

Catawba Island - Not really an island, actually a peninsula with a small stream and swampland separating it from Ohio's mainland, near Port Clinton. Catawba Island is lined with beautiful lakefront homes, public beaches, golf courses, private clubs, and dozens of huge boat marinas.

Middle Island - The southernmost point in Canada, Middle Island is near the mid-lake border between Canada and the United States. It is an uninhabited island.

Pelee Island - This large island is primarily agricultural in nature, especially being ideal for vinyards. Only about 250 Canadians inhabit this place, the southernmost inhabited place in Canada.

Kelley's Island - 367 all-season residents inhabit this island. Famous for its' "glacial grooves" it has a small village area that is popular with tourists during the warmer months. Kelley's Island is served by a number of different ferries.

Turtle Island - This tiny round island is located in far western Lake Erie, very near Maumee Bay (Toledo). Remnants of a lighthouse are in the center of the isle. A number of different owners have promised to restore the island's structure but those efforts have not seen fruition. The Ohio-Michigan state line runs through the island. Perch fishing just off the island is superb.
    _____

Bear

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear did the Valley Camp tour in the Soo, many moons ago. Very cool, very cool.

A couple weeks ago at the workplace I was discussing vacations with a fellow worker-bee. He was heading to the New Jersey coast for his vacation. We bantered about over the differences between swimming in the ocean and swimming in the Great Lakes. I know that when you see the annual "Best Beaches" lists you very seldom see a Great Lakes' beach listed. I have to say.....I would much rather swim in the Great Lakes than in the ocean. Reasoning.....

No sharks.
    No sting-rays.

Admit.....many Great Lakes "swimming holes" are often addicted with pollution problems. Note that the invasive species Zebra Mollusk has really cleaned-up the waters of Lake Erie's Western Basin. Here's where I have swam in the Great Lakes.....

Lake Erie (numerous beaches, off of boats, primarily Western Basin....which is shallow (20'-40').

My ocean swims included just north of Boston, St. Pete area, and west of Olympic National Park (Washington). Starfish are neat.

Bear
    There are many great beaches on the Great Lake shores surrounding Southern Ontario. Starting in the east and going clockwise:

Lake Ontario
    Sankbanks Provincial Park - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbanks_Provincial_Park

Presqu'ile Provincial Park - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presqu%...rovincial_Park

Lake Erie
    Long Point Provincial Park - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Point_Provincial_Park

Point Pelee National Park - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Pelee_National_Park

Lake Huron
    Grand Bend - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinery_Provincial_Park

Sauble Beach - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauble_beach

and lastly Wasaga Beach - the longest fresh water beach in the world (14km) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasaga_Beach

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Lake Erie's Western Basin is relatively shallow, compared to the balance of Lake Erie. The lake's average depth is much shallower than all of the other Great Lakes. The Western Basin's depth does help create a batch of islands that are pretty damn cool. Summary follows:

South Bass Island - Home to the "drinking village with a fishing problem", Put-In-Bay. Famous for a significant USA vs England naval battle it is also home to the world's most massive Doric column (352'), the Perry Peace Monument. The downtown Put-In-Bay area is loaded with bars and restaurants. Warm weather months see a huge influx of day tourists and recent years have seen a number of overnight accomodations kick in. The rocky shoreline is famous for smallmouth bass fishing. The regular resident population of the island is 631. For the regulars who stay during the off-season, when the lake freezes over they use the air service to reach the mainland. Otherwise, the island is served by a couple of different ferry services.

Middle Bass Island - Vinyards dominate this island. It was the home of Lonz Winery, a really interesting structure. However, a floor collapsed about a decade ago and the popular drinking spot was closed. 95 year-round residents live here. There is great swimming just off the east shore, at Schoolhouse Bay.

North Bass Island - This island has about 24 residents.

Hens & Chicks - There are a few rock outcrops, mini-islands, that are a haven for birds and a problem for navigators. These are near North Bass Island, within Canadian waters.

Rattlesnake Island - This small island, west of South Bass Island, does have rattlesnakes. This island is owned by a private club.

West Sister Island - This uninhabited island, between Toledo's Maumee Bay and South Bass Island, is a National Wildlife Refuge. The walleye fishing around the island is superb. On summer days, during the week and on the weekends, thousands of small boats will be trolling around this island. The fishing in Lake Erie's Wastern Basin creates the for-real title of "Walleye Capitol of the World".

Mouse Island - This small wooded island is just off shore from the mainland's Catawba Point. It is a favorite spot for white perch fishing, summer (boats) and winter (thru the ice).

Catawba Island - Not really an island, actually a peninsula with a small stream and swampland separating it from Ohio's mainland, near Port Clinton. Catawba Island is lined with beautiful lakefront homes, public beaches, golf courses, private clubs, and dozens of huge boat marinas.

Middle Island - The southernmost point in Canada, Middle Island is near the mid-lake border between Canada and the United States. It is an uninhabited island.

Pelee Island - This large island is primarily agricultural in nature, especially being ideal for vinyards. Only about 250 Canadians inhabit this place, the southernmost inhabited place in Canada.

Kelley's Island - 367 all-season residents inhabit this island. Famous for its' "glacial grooves" it has a small village area that is popular with tourists during the warmer months. Kelley's Island is served by a number of different ferries.

Turtle Island - This tiny round island is located in far western Lake Erie, very near Maumee Bay (Toledo). Remnants of a lighthouse are in the center of the isle. A number of different owners have promised to restore the island's structure but those efforts have not seen fruition. The Ohio-Michigan state line runs through the island. Perch fishing just off the island is superb.
    _____

Bear
    I actually had the chance to visit Camp Perry, Port Clinton, and Put-in-Bay (home of the "World's Longest Bar"!) several years ago when I was there for Reserves annual training at Camp Perry. I was there for the National Rifle and Pistol Matches. It's a big event attracting marksmen from all over the country and even the world. Port Clinton seemed like a very nice town, and Put-in-Bay was a lot of fun. The only bad part was that the last ferry back to the mainland left at midnight and if you missed it - too bad!

No sharks.
    No sting-rays.

Bear
    Great Lakes:
    Lake Michigan-several places
    Lake Superior-in and around Muinsing, yes it's cold even in June.
    Oceans:
    Pacific-near San Diego
    Atlantic-Norfolk
    The Gulf of Mexico
    Mississippi Coast/Ship Island
    Naples, FL-Naples has a long peir out into the Gulf. I was walking down it once and someone caught a baby hammerhead shark. After that, lets just say I didn't go too far out into the Gulf.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    I've seen and swam in Lakes Huron and Michigan.

Last year I visited Traverse City, and spent some time both at a winery on the Old Mission Peninsula, and at Elk Rapids on the east side of the Grand Traverse Bay. It was just beautiful. I can't wait to explore more of Michigan!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I saw that an ED job recently opened up in South Haven. I'm seriously considering applying for it. I do love the west coast of Michigan.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    I too am a lover of the Great Lakes, having spent many years of my life in Toledo, OH. Has anyone read The Great Lakes Water Wars? (Annin, Peter. 2006. ISBN 13: 978-1-59726-637-6; ISBN 10: 1-59726-637-X)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    The Great Lakes Water Wars
    Interesting weblink:http://www.greatlakeswaterwars.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Nice Find JNA. So did you read the book? It was really interesting.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Article Headlne: Five 'great' Great Lakes beaches

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinati...hes/49003198/1
    Good layout with
    Where:
    Why:
    Don't miss:
    Off-the-beach-diversion:
    More info

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - Lake Michigan - MI side

Presque Isle State Park - Lake Erie - PA

Sand Point Beach, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - Lake Superior - UP

Bayfield Main Beach - Lake Huron side

Oak Street Beach - Lake Michigan. - IL side

Who's been there ?
    Are they worthy of such acclaim ?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have been to Sleeping Bear Dunes, Sand Point / Pictured Rocks, and Oak Street.

The last time I was at Sleeping Bear was when I was in college, back in the 80's. The dune is very steep, and running down it we were covering 20 feet in each stride. It was autumn already, but we went skinny dipping anyway before the climb back up.

As for Pictured Rocks, I much prefer Chapel Beach, Miner's Beach, or Twelvemile Beach. Twelvemile offers dunes. Miner's Beach is the most accessible and has a combination of sand and rocks dropping into deep water, and even a few sea caves for those willing to swim around the point. Chapel Beach requires a hike and has back country camp sites. Late in the season you can have it all to yourself. Try skinny dipping before loading your pack and hoofing it out in the morning.

Am I channeling Bear or RJ in this thread?

As for Oak Street, it is the beach where all the hot chicks and buff dudes go to be seen. The equivalent is Bradford Beach in Milwaukee (which has the advantage of being near the university). Occassional skinny dipping, but not by me.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I've been to Presque Isle.
    • Its numerous beaches aren't crowded.
    • Facilities for showering and changing are available at the more popular beaches.
    • Some of the less popular beaches don't have lifeguards -- and apparently never do because there are no life guard stations in sight.
    • Presque Isle is accessible by water taxi from downtown Erie, PA.
    • It also is extremely popular with walkers/joggers/runners/bicyclists because of its flat terrain and dedicated bikeways. It has walkways along the shore on the bay side (facing Erie).
    • It's nature trails aren't all that interesting but the flat terrain makes them accessible for most.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Carnac the Magnificent II
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2013, 4:50 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Nov 2007, 7:32 PM
  4. Replies: 12