Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rigors of private planning practice #11: Staffing the planning office

Registered
    Aug 2001

Rigors of private planning practice #11: Staffing the planning office

How do the private sector planners out there like staffing their client communities' planning office?

I must say I like it! I get a break from my normal cubicle and I get to see new people facing a wide range of issues. Every town has its own set of colorful characters. Plus, in terms of the overall experience for my career, I get to see firsthand how different mindsets respond to similar issues. Some communities give me free reign and let me do my planning thing, and others run a tight ship and tell me what to do. There are only two downsides that I can think of. First, it's the travel. Long trips can be a real downer sometimes. And then there's the schizophrenia that sets in when I'm really busy because I can't keep nothing straight - Was that code violation in Derbyton or Ville de Chapeau? But overall, it's rewarding with a diverse group of folks.

What do you think? How goes this kind of consulting gig for you?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not at all my cup of latte. My firm may do some current planning when we get larger, but for now, we are sticking to long-range planning, economic development, and the like.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Your "firm" could eventually benefit from staffing planning offices, if there are no long-range planning opportunities identified at this time. At some point, you will probably end up noticing some potential projects and you will be in a perfect position to pitch them to the planning commission.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    From my working in the public sector, I think it's more effective working in current planning, although long range works if you work with cities/agencies--like mine-- that have master plans. That will determine how many years you can project into the future for your projects.

Registered
    May 1997
    Doing current planning for clients can be fun and interesting, but my experience is that it will wear you down faster than other types of projects.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I used to work as a planning consultant and LOVED doing development review/current planning. Part of that is because I'm detail oriented and liked the nature of the work. But the other part is that our firm worked with a lot of very small places that had no staff of their own. So they kept us on board for a long time - in some cases, it was up to 20 years - which meant that we really got to know the community and it's issues. A nice feeling of continuity for an otherwise vagabond consultant's life...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nice story! Thanks for sharing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Feb 2008, 7:30 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 3:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 1:45 PM
  4. Replies: 29