Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: False advertising (aka: The Sunshine State)

Registered
    Feb 2003

False advertising (aka: The Sunshine State)

As the rain from Dennis came down this weekend I was looking at the weather report and saw 7 days of straight rain. This is on top of the rain we have pretty much had for the last week… so I was wondering, how in the world did FLA get the name Sunshine State?

Obviously a false self promotion. Any other false claims out there?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

South Dakota is also called "The Sunshine State" isn't it? It would be interesting to research which state actually (collectively) gets more sunshine per year.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I think it is Arizona... but I have only heard that, not researched it.

Any Arizonians out there know about this?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well, I live in a temperate rainforest, so at least I'll never have to wonder if my province is, in fact, THE Sunshine Province. *sniff*

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Obviously a false self promotion. Any other false claims out there?
    Greenland. And Iceland.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Greenland. And Iceland.
    I understand that was intentional to throw folks off from comming (conquering) to Iceland.

Is that true?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I understand that was intentional to throw folks off from comming (conquering) to Iceland.

Is that true?
    I wasn't there, but that's the way I heard it too.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I wasn't there, but that's the way I heard it too.
    What do you mean your were not there? Why did you bring it up then? What kind of cr@p is that?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    What do you mean your were not there? Why did you bring it up then? What kind of cr@p is that?
    Oh, sorry -- when you get to be 400, your memory gets fuzzy. Maybe I was there. Let me check my diary and get back to you.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    South Dakota is also called "The Sunshine State" isn't it? It would be interesting to research which state actually (collectively) gets more sunshine per year.

PAH! QUEENSLAND, australia is the sunshine state! its even on the number plates! AND we have a bona fide drought to prove it!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    AFAIK, Greenland owes it's name to the viking settlers taht named it that way, since by the time the vikings settled there, Greenland had way less ice than today thanks to higher global temperatures, and was actually green (at the coasts of course, the huge ice shelf can hardly disapear for only a few centuries of higher temperatures)

Now if it's for false advertising.. I'm guilty as charged... although I don't actually lie when describing Chile, I just ommit the bad (most of the) facts... But then again that's the idea of tourism promotion... show off the good things and hide the bad things in a dark corner where nobody will see it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    PAH! QUEENSLAND, australia is the sunshine state! its even on the number plates! AND we have a bona fide drought to prove it!
    Pfft, everywhere hip has a drought. Next...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    AFAIK, Greenland owes it's name to the viking settlers taht named it that way, since by the time the vikings settled there, Greenland had way less ice than today thanks to higher global temperatures, and was actually green (at the coasts of course, the huge ice shelf can hardly disapear for only a few centuries of higher temperatures)
    How can Greenland have higher global temperatures back then when the rest of the globe had lower temps?

Haven't you argued (as have I) that "global warming" has been going on for centuries (or even millenia)?

Uh, honestly SkeL, I am completely confused. I heard that they named Iceland that way to discourage settlers from hogging all the land and discourage invaders and named Greenland that way to misdirect folks to that area instead. My husband is like half "viking" heritage. I don't think honesty was their big thing. The term "a-viking" (a verb) means "To go raiding" -- you know, like a good young man trying to make his fortune SHOULD do. They were basically a culture of pirates.

How can Greenland have higher global temperatures back then when the rest of the globe had lower temps?

Haven't you argued (as have I) that "global warming" has been going on for centuries (or even millenia)?

Uh, honestly SkeL, I am completely confused. I heard that they named Iceland that way to discourage settlers from hogging all the land and discourage invaders and named Greenland that way to misdirect folks to that area instead. My husband is like half "viking" heritage. I don't think honesty was their big thing. The term "a-viking" (a verb) means "To go raiding" -- you know, like a good young man trying to make his fortune SHOULD do. They were basically a culture of pirates.
    Greenland was a bit of both - it was globally warmer at the time that the vikings settled, which made it slightly more bearable than we would consider it today. They also called it Greenland to encourage more settlers.
    Off-topic:
    During the same temperature blip, there were real/grape vinyards in North Wales and Yorkshire. There then came a mini-ice-age, roughly analougout to the Tudor era to the Industrial Revolution, which allowed ice fairs on the Thames and pretty much destroyed all the vinyards in what became the UK. We now have a few more vinyards again, the furthest North one I know of being in North Lincolnshire, IIRC.

It was just at the change over that the vikings settled Greenland, so the glaciers were just starting to make a come-back. Then one winter, it got very bad and that we know, none of the settlers survived. There is a chance they went 'native' as the Norse/Vikings/Scandinavians were very good at that, but there is no proof. It was resettled shortly thereafter, but was never as important again as the changing temperatures and weather made it difficult to do the fishing and hunting (in North America as well) that had made the Greenland settlement(s) a fairly active trading propositions.

And there is the possibility that "Green" is a mispronounciation.

Greenland Wikipedia entry
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Journeymouse
    They also called it Greenland to encourage more settlers.
    That detail fits with what I remember. Thanks for all the info.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    The Greenland settlers died of malnutrition in the 15th century. This despite a wealth of sea life and an example, the Inuits, of how to use it. Similar to current cultures, the settlers were gung ho for their own way of life and unwilling to learn, change, and prosper. Our survival depends on our flexibility.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    As part of my architecture degree last semester.. I had to take a course in enviromental studies. According to my lecturer, global warming is a bit of a misnomer. All we really can say for SURE is that SOMETHING is going on. Eg. Newfoundland is getting colder, earlier every year, and is often the poster child for the its-not-getting-hotter-in-here group... However - it used to stay warm(er) because great big bridges of sea ice would form.. more or less a giant wall across the far north atlantic, stopping the sea ice floating down and turning that corner into an icebox. These bridges are forming later and later yearly, meaning the ice comes lower, making it colder though its gertting hotter globally. ... what I'm eventually getting at is that the planet is an incredibly messed up complex unorganised thing - and simple explanations like "its getting hotter" or "it used to be colder" etc etc just dont work.. everything has a knock-on effect that changes everything somehow.. and we get these little niches that defy the trend - like Greenland being toasty and warm some centuries ago.

As Chukky says, the world has an ever changing climate/weather system anyway. There are however, two problems:
    1. Humans have a tendency to assume that things will continue the same way for all time. Therefore, we are not prepared for natural climate change, movement of land, etc.
    2. We also assume that nature (Nature?) can cope with us throwing more and more at it - ater all, it coped when we were all going to the toilet in middens, right?
    This means we've spent at least the last 200 years pumping out various chemicals (most of which also occur naturally, though not necessarily where we put them) that we now know have an effect on the world around us. What we don't know is how much our intervention is going to affect the natural changes. I'm still see bad things happening, which I won't bore you all with again.

[OT]Island er gron, Gronland er ikke. (bad phonetic translation: Eesland air groan, groanland air igguh). A little Danish joke that translates to "Iceland is green, Greenland is not". (It doesn't take a lot to humor we Danes)

False Advertising: From your American history classes, you remember the terrible weather and misfortunes of the Continental Army during the winter at _________________?

How many of you said Valley Forge? C'mon admit it. Y'all did. Well, thank a Pennsylvania tourism official for screwing your real American history. Valley Forge had nothing on the winter the army spent at Morristown, New Jersey, both in weather terms and terms of the future prospects of the Army (and the Revolution, for that matter).
    Je suis Charlie

Off-topic:
    I still can't seem to edit my posts :S

And something I forgot to mention in the previous post about Greenland, it was extremely simplified for my small brain as it happened over several hundred years.

Quote Originally posted by Journeymouse
    Off-topic:
    I still can't seem to edit my posts :S
    Off-topic:
    There seems to be a bug in the system that the mods are working on. In the meantime, hit the "edit" button a second time and you will be able to edit without a problem.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    [OT]
    False Advertising: From your American history classes, you remember the terrible weather and misfortunes of the Continental Army during the winter at _________________?

How many of you said Valley Forge? C'mon admit it. Y'all did. Well, thank a Pennsylvania tourism official for screwing your real American history. Valley Forge had nothing on the winter the army spent at Morristown, New Jersey, both in weather terms and terms of the future prospects of the Army (and the Revolution, for that matter).
    You know I did not.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Here are the average days of sun per year and month, broken down by metro area.

Florida's nickname is not really a misnomer compared to most of the country, although Arizona and Navada are sunnier.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It's nice and sunny here in south Florida.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    There are two license plates out there that don't cost extra:
    "The Sunshine State" and "The Smart State". What's funny about the second one is that Queensland is the dumbest state on average, since the Northern Territory is a territory. Now that's false advertisement.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Nov 2012, 11:28 AM
  2. Sunshine laws and lawyers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 1:17 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 4:46 AM
  4. False Lincoln Quotes