Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: US cities lack families but Vancouver gets it right

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I pulled some data from StatsCan. All these numbers are as of 2001, the last census, and apply to the Vancouver CMA (Census Metropolitan Area) - also known as Greater Vancouver.

Total - Experienced labour force 1,049,910
    Management occupations 124,965
    Business, finance and administration occupations 207,890
    Natural and applied sciences and related occupations 75,150
    Health occupations 54,895
    Social science, education, government service and religion 85,980
    Art, culture, recreation and sport 42,595
    Sales and service occupations 263,770
    Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations 130,110
    Occupations unique to primary industry 18,350
    Occupations unique to processing, manufacturing and utilities 46,205

We can see that sales/service, business/finance, and trades/transport come out on top. Sales and service are booming simply because of Vancouver's size - it seems large enough, as with other cities, to generate a bit of its own economic activity. Business and finance reflect the growing role that Vancouver holds in the Canadian money market as well as a stepping stone for cross-Pacific lending and financing. The trades can be explained by a booming construction industry, and the transport can be explained by the Port of Vancouver, which handles well over 60% of all cargo that enters and leaves Canada.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/labor47i.htm

This is another interesting StatsCan source that breaks down jobs by specific industry. Once again retail (service) comes out on top.

In the 1980s it would have been the case that natural resource extraction fueled Vancouver, but this cannot be said to be the only major industry today. Increasingly, matters of research, manufacturing, health, trade, money market, and other sectors are grabbing larger shares of the pie.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    This is the problem with Austin as well. The closest affordable housing I could find was located 7 miles outside of downtown. I have no doubt that a LOT of people would live downtown if they could afford to. The developers know, however, that there will always be enough affluent people to buy the 600k condos downtown, so why should they create cheaper alternatives? It's all about money... not the desires of the community
    One thing Vancouver has done successfully is the 20% rule - developers need to set aside 20% of the units for affordable housing. You have to look pretty hard to find the co-ops in the neighbourhoods (i.e. they blend in very well) but they're there.

Quote Originally posted by jread
    Does any one have reliable census data or industry data that shows what keeps Vancouver going? I'm pretty sure its natural resource extraction ... fueled not by the folks in the skyscraper condos, but the hinterland.
    The joke around here (Vancouver) is that everybody works at Starbucks to make money to buy coffees at Starbucks.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 8:28 AM
  2. Attracting families to cities
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Mar 2007, 1:47 AM
  3. Our Scattered Families
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32