Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who’s your hero / idol?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Who’s your hero / idol?

I thought that we had talked about this topic before, but I guess not.

Who is the person or persons that you look up to the most? Also include who they are, what they have done, when they lived, and if you know them.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    If I said STAN, you know I would be lying, right ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I really don't have anyone that I idolize. When I was a kid I thought Steve Garvey was pretty cool. Let me think ............. Hmmm ................... Nope, I can't think that I have ever idolized anyone. There are a few people whom I respect and/or find fascinating..
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    If I said STAN, you know I would be lying, right ?
    Um, I was gonna say Stan, but now I guess I won't....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Who will be the first to admit that Jesus Christ is their favorite idol?

Myself, I can't get enough of Steve Jobs. That iPod toy sure is cute, huh?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    As child, I probably highly admired some adult males, but I can't really remember who now.

As an adult, I find it pracitically impossible to idolize anyone, individuals have too many flaws to put on a pedestal. Though, I can admire certain qualities/traits of a person. Can't think of any at the moment, though.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I can honestly say my dad with my oldest brother running a close second, and I'm not just giving the "proper" answer.

Professionally, there's a couple of planners running around that I have a lot of admiration for.

Socially, Ferris Bueller, or, just about any occupant of Animal House!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Robert Moses, I wanna be in charge of EVERYTHING! Don't misinterpret this as being the same as urban removal.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I idolize Bill Cosby a great deal. Comedian, actor, philanthropist, activist (Regarding his comments during the past year, I think he's absolutely right), and some don't know he's also a jazz composer. I would love to see his record collection.

I have no heroes.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    As a kid, I really thought John Elway was cool, but that is just sports idolization. Not really anything I could apply to my life (unless I was in football)

I'd have to say that my Dad is at the top of my list. Defiently growing up, I was closer to my mom, and when I would be with my dad, we wouldn't really talk. Nothing bad between us, just nothing to say.
    Now I am really close with my dad, we'll still go fishing, hiking and skiing together and now that I am waist deep in landscaping projects, it is nice to have him around as well. Not saying that I am no longer close with mom, b/c I am (helps to be an only child).
    The biggest thing is working, he is a very hard worker, does well, and never quits. This is something I look up to and want to emulate in myself. He is also an honest citizen, father, business owner, landlord, husband, and all-around family man (especially since he and I are the ones who will primarily talk to my grandfather still... can't really say that about the rest of the family [another story all together])
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Jon Stewart. If only I had his sharp wit, intellect and sense of humor.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Conan The Barbarian. You may not have heard of him. He lived a long time ago and his life began in obscurity as a slave after his tribe was murdered but he eventually ended up as king. You can sometimes find illustrated biographies about his life. Those are really cool. I used to have bunches of them.

I also like Frederick Douglass, who also started out as a slave. He didn't end up king but did become an international figure, working in diplomatic type positions (such as minister to Haiti).

There are probably a few other folks I really admire but wouldn't say that I "idolize" them or something. So I guess that's it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Conan The Barbarian. You may not have heard of him. He lived a long time ago and his life began in obscurity as a slave after his tribe was murdered but he eventually ended up as king. You can sometimes find illustrated biographies about his life. Those are really cool. I used to have bunches of them.
    I have actually heard of this historical figure. You know if you worked out everyday and took the right steroids you could realize your dreams and could look just like him! Why settle for mediocrity?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I have actually heard of this historical figure. You know if you worked out everyday and took the right steroids you could realize your dreams and could look just like him! Why settle for mediocrity?
    I'm too short. He was, like, over 6ft tall or something. Phooey.

But I hear that a reincarnation of him is working in my state capitol. Maybe I should do something political so I can "meet" my Hero...sorta, kinda -- as close as one can get and all that.

EDIT: However, I have great hopes of replicating the hair style that Frederick had when he was an elderly gentleman. Yes, I think I can do that -- white lion's mane of unruly hair, here I come!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I idolize Bill Cosby a great deal. Comedian, actor, philanthropist, activist (Regarding his comments during the past year, I think he's absolutely right), and some don't know he's also a jazz composer. I would love to see his record collection.
    We graduated the same high school...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I would say that my short list would be:
    Michael Dell
    Warren Buffet
    Dave Ramsey
    Steven Covey

In history:
    Ben Franklin
    JFK Jr.
    Henry Ford
    John Rockefeller
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    JFK Jr.
    why....I've never understood why people are/were so fascinated with this guy. I have never heard of everything noteworthy he accomplished.

All I can think is the fascination stemmed from him being a Kennedy, which in the USA is probably as close as one comes to "royalty".
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can't say that I idolize anyone per se, but there are certain people that really amaze me in a way that I look forward to the next thing that they will accomplish. Usually the things that truly impress me are creative and often will involve the written word in one way or another. Examples: Pablo Neruda for poetry, Charlie Kaufman or Richard Linklatter for screenplays, Nabokov for novels, Paul Bowles for short stories, etc. Of all of those, I think I am the most enamored with Charlie Kaufman right now. I can watch his movies over and over again, and see something a little different in them each time.
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    [On Bill Cosby...]We graduated the same high school...
    Same class too! (runs and hides)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    J.K. Rowling; she's now richer than the Queen...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    idol is too strong of a word but as far as heros go i would have to say mine is "that guy" Who is "That Guy"?

He/she is that person who goes out of their way to hold the door for the next person coming, even if they have to wait.

He/she is the person that gives their extra money for a good cause if it means one less beer for them when they go out with the gang.

he/she is the person that not only scoops the poop of their dog but also that of the absent minded dog owner that dog went in the sidewalk, "that guy" does it not be cause he has to but because it is the socially responsible thing to do.

He/she is the person that stays true to his/her word even if doing so jepordizing better him self finically.

He/she is the guy that spends his lunch hour delivering meals on wheels because he can always eat later others arn't as fortunate..

the list could go onld and for the most part everyone Knows a "that guy" and the world is a better Place.

I am sure there are more reason and i may update sone as i find time and will.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I have many people, in all walks of life, that I draw inspiration from, but I don't know if I would necessarily call all of them my heroes. Here are a few:

George W. Bush...never back down
    Ronald Reagan...it's the people that matter most
    Abraham Lincoln...always think things through carefully and do what your heart believes is right
    Our founding fathers (Washington, Jefferson, etc.)...don't give in without a fight, freedom is of utmost importance
    Steven Tyler..."sex, drugs, and rock n' roll...don't do drugs and you got more time for the other two"
    Ted Nugent...love being an American, and always stand up for your rights, and let no one take your guns away from you
    Sammy Hagar...life's a party, have fun
    Axl Rose...nver take sh!t from anybody
    Mr. Rogers...important values, lessons
    Michael Jordan...you can achieve anything if you believe in yourself
    Shel Silverstein...inspired me in poetry-writing
    My dad...work hard for your family, keep things simple
    My oldest brother...work hard, but just get it done
    My older brother...don't make the same mistakes I made

and of course God...need I say more.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody consider Col. John Glover ?
    He was the leader ot the boatmen from Marblehead during the escape / evacuation from Long Island after the Battle of Brooklyn.
    Later he was the leader of the boatmen for crossing the Delaware on Christmas Eve before the Battle of Trenton.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would definetly have to say my grandfather. My parents divorced when I was 2 years old, and my dad was never around. My grandfather filled the role of dad and I have a lot of fond memories of him. Not only was he my favorite person to do things with, but he was a damn good person too. He was very politically active and held some high profile postions both locally and nationally. But he never let his power effect him as a person. In the early 80's, he got so fed up with his political colleagues that he resigned from his position. He was a lawyer who represented a lot of people who couldn't find anyone to help them out. His clients include a number of nuclear downwinders, mine workers, govt employees, ranchers, etc. and argued several cases in front of the highest court, and never lost a case. Probably 40% of his work was pro-bono, but he found a way to make a lot of money without screwing people over and without being an ambulance chaser.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    why....I've never understood why people are/were so fascinated with this guy. I have never heard of everything noteworthy he accomplished.

All I can think is the fascination stemmed from him being a Kennedy, which in the USA is probably as close as one comes to "royalty".
    His ability to work to achieve great things by modifying his resources to best suit his needs without doing it for the wrong reasons. He showed determination by failing the Bar exam to come back a second time and pass it with flying colors. Oh and it helps that he started the magazine “George” in 1995 and was a passionate philanthropist donating time and money to numerous charities. All of this without making a public spectacle of himself.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    He followed in his father's footsteps very well early in life. I mean, there was no war for him to be in but he still showed himself to be a fearless, visionary, and enigmatic man. If he had lived a few years longer he would have began racking up accomplishments, but it wasn't to be.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 08 Jan 2007, 4:52 PM
  2. American Idol 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 26 May 2006, 9:28 AM
  3. NASCAR hero worship
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4