14 40.00%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rating Comics

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rating Comics

I don't know about you, but right after finishing the front page of the paper I go right to the comics page. I just love comics as an art form. So much can be said in so little space through this media. One thing puzzles me, though, and that's why some comics became as popular as they are. For example, how did "Peanuts" get to be such a revered institution? I admit I still read "Peanuts Classics" dutifully every day in the paper, but I can't remember the last time I saw one that made me chuckle, much less laugh out loud. "Garfield" is a strip that is absolutely positively unfunny - yet nearly every newspaper in the country carries it. WTF?

My personal favorite was Gary Larson's "Far Side" (followed by "Bloom County"). Notice how there was a rebirth of the single panel comic after "Far Side" became successful. Lots of folks tried to imitate Larson's style (e.g. Herman, Bizarro, etc.)

I guess I have always gravitated towards comics with a slightly subversive or edgy underground feel to them (R. Crumb is a genius). I think SAC's avatar comes from one of these, as does mine (Tom Tomorrow). The WWW has also provided a rich environment for aspiring cartoonists. Here's a good 'underground' one:
    www.qwantz.com
    Dinosaur comics plays with the comic form by using the same pictures and panels each time and simply inserts different dialogue. Pretty innovative and you really need to check out the archives and read a half dozen or so to 'get it'.

Another observation. My home town paper carries "Mary Worth", "Rex Morgan M.D." and "Apt 3G". These appear to be some sort of serial soap opera comics but I don't know of a soul that ever reads them. Why does the paper still run these things?

What are your favorites?
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Jul 2005 at 11:42 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You should check out The Comics Journal for more critical information on comics. The site is not neccessarily safe for work. Their message board is great, full of swear words, image-leaching of some of the finest and most grotesque comic images. Posters include many contemporary greats of the alternative (mainstream) comics scene. An eclectic gathering to say the least.

Some of my favorites include: Mutts, Zits, For Better or for Worse, Rose is a Rose, Luann, and Close to Home. I also like stuff by Ted Rall, but he can be so freakin harsh. Tony Millionaire is also awesome, a freak virtuoso. Carol Lay does some smart strips, too.

Two comics I absolutely detest: Dilbert and Opus. Pure pedantic crap. And let's not forget the forgettable Frank Cho. That guy draws beautiful women, but what are his strips about, anyway?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Calvin and Hobbs, Bloom County, Over the Hedge
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I seldom read the newspaper comics. I generally don't read newspapers to begin with, but when I do I usually read Non Sequitor (sp?) and the other slightly off-beat, subversive ones.

On the Web, I like Andy Singer's comics which usually have a smart growth, enviro-liberal bent.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have always been a big fan of Prince Valiant. Too bad it gets so little space in the paper up here. <sigh...>

I also like Zits, Beatle Bailey, Foxtrot, For Better or For Worse, Garfield, Blondie, Baby Blues and the very new Pooch Cafe.

I used to like Doonesbury much more than I do now, too. Trudeau just seems to have completely fallen off of the liberal 'deep end' over the past couple of years.

Mike

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    1. The Far Side - Gary Larsen is a genius. Any body using the bathroom in my house is limited to Far Side Galleries for bathroom reading.

2. Calvin & Hobbs - made much more interesting after several courses in PoliSci/Philosophy

3. Non Sequitor - slightly subversive with some tinges of politics. Not my absolute favorite, but still a good read.

4. Wizzard of Id - usually has a good punch line and has a bit of a governmental twist

5. BC - a lot of similarities to Wizzard of Id.

6. Peanuts - doesn't make me laugh anymore, but reminds me of when I was a wee burb fixer and used to beg my dad for the comics.

That might be about all I read. Doonesbury and Mallard Filmore only seem to piss me off, so I stay away from those. I do read the local political cartoons though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I liked Doonesbury, Blondie, Wizard of ID, Beetle Bailey, B.C., and Hagar the Horrible. For Better or Worse is another one I like - when their dog died saving the toddler who fell into the water that was a poignant moment. Dilbert is another one I read- sometimes it is very funny, but mostly predictable.

I miss Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I can't believe "Dilbert" was not listed.

I don't read the comics as much as I used to, but these are my faves in no particular order:

Dilbert
    Far Side
    Non Sequitur
    Close to Home
    Herman
    Boondocks
    Curtis
    Luan
    Derf
    Peanuts
    Foxtrot
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Get Fuzzy". I love that comic! Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert (1/2 the time), and Bizarro are all pretty good too.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Dilbert is my "other."
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Ass. Planner
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Get Fuzzy". I love that comic! Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert (1/2 the time), and Bizarro are all pretty good too.
    Get Fuzzy is great! Sometimes I like to think that Bucky is the cartoon version of me.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    Get Fuzzy is great! Sometimes I like to think that Bucky is the cartoon version of me.
    That one is my favorite. I think Bucky reminds me of one of my parents' cats. That one is classic.
    Of course I get a free subscription to the Denver Post, which doesn't carry it or any of my favorites... those are all in the Rocky Mountain News. I guess you give and take some when your nearest major city has two major newspapers to choose from..
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Boondocks is the only comic I read nowadays.

In my younger days I used to read:
    Blondie
    Andy Capp
    Hagar the Horrible
    For Better or For Worse (I can't believe all the kids are all grown up now.)
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

I think the funny pages went south after Calvin and Hobbes stopped publishing. I read Funky Winkerbean and FBOFW and have found the new Opus mostly enjoyable.

Our local paper publishes Classic Peanuts in the smallest format possible. I was never a fan, but now it's easier to ignore. It annoys me that younger cartoonists are not given an opportunity so that the paper can publish unfunny cartoons that you need a magnifying glass to read. (Schulz' linework was never noteworthy, IMO.)
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I will usually see how bad the Family Circus is. When I was younger, I asked my mom how it could ever be funny. The basic answer is that geriatrics think its cute or something...
    IT is like a bad car wreck, nothing good to see... but you gotta check it out.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    I am definately more of a "Satchel", but I find Bucky's antics to be hilarious!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I can't believe "Dilbert" was not listed.
    My Bad. I really should have listed Dilbert as it enjoys some of the largest syndication out there.
    I happen to like Dilbert alot but some other folks' criticism of this particular strip is well taken. It is has been falling into predictable formulas lately. Gary Larson recognized this fact at a point and made the decision to retire the Far Side while it was still topical and funny and not stale. Perhaps Mr. Adams should take a cue.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2003

Get Fuzzy?

Ok, now after seeing so many testimonials, I have to check out Get Fuzzy. Our local newspaper does not carry it. They also moved Dilbert out of the comics section into some odd section such as 'Home'. I still don't undestand why they carry some of the most decidely UN-funny comics (yes, Family Circus, that means you) but cut others. Star-Telegram - why?!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    There are lots of good comics out there.

Sluggy (www.sluggy.com) - about a crazed bunny rabit among other things.
    For Better or For Worse
    Foxtrot
    Dilbert
    Zits
    Bizarro

Those are my top 6.
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Aug 2004
    What about Calvin & Hobbes?!? The best all-time, in my book.

In the running for best:

Zits
    Baldo
    Dilbert (but not all the time)
    For Better or For Worse
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Non Sequiter
    Boondocks
    Arlo and Janis
    Zits
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2003
    Dilbert got stale a long time ago for me. I quit reading it after a friend bought me a desk calender that had, seriously, maybe 30 funny strips out of the entire year. That was a few years ago.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I voted "Other" because both Zits and For Better or For Worse are my two favourite comics.

Whenever I get to read the comic page in the Toronto Star, I check Zits and then FBoFW and glance over all the other ones. I never have understood Dilbert; am I missing something?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Ass. Planner
    I meant to. I love Get Fuzzy. (It's been very weak this week, though)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No one has mentioned Pickles yet, currently one of favorites in the local paper.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. A Comics Renaissance?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 1:37 PM
  2. Some great web comics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 May 2005, 9:44 AM
  3. Comics