Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Political signs

Political signs

It's that time of the year again, when the political signs pop up in the public right-of-way. I have my guys (in the Street Dept.) pull them as they see them. I am sure everyone has an ordinance related to the placement and time limitation as to when these signs can be posted. However, does anyone send out reminders (via the media) semi-annually to let these candidates know of the ordinances?
    I would like to believe that people simply don't know where the right of way begins or ends and think they own up to the edge of the pavement. However, my gut tells me that they blatantly don't care and put them wherever they please anyway and assume that no one will mess with them. What does your city do to minimize this garbage in the right of way?
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    It's that time of the year again, when the political signs pop up in the public right-of-way. I have my guys (in the Street Dept.) pull them as they see them. I am sure everyone has an ordinance related to the placement and time limitation as to when these signs can be posted. However, does anyone send out reminders (via the media) semi-annually to let these candidates know of the ordinances?
    I would like to believe that people simply don't know where the right of way begins or ends and think they own up to the edge of the pavement. However, my gut tells me that they blatantly don't care and put them wherever they please anyway and assume that no one will mess with them. What does your city do to minimize this garbage in the right of way?
    We include a brochure in the Candidate Packet that discusses appropriate placement of political signs. It also gives a brief description of right-of-way widths and markings to look for when placing signs.

It doesn't work.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Political signs get left alone in Vancouver. *shrug* It is considered in very, very poor taste to pull them out.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    In the Council that i work at in oz, we discovered that our planning rules are such that political signs are supposed to be prohibited development- didnt stop anyone from putting them up though- such an eyesore....
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We developed a written Policy Memo that outlines how political signs are treated (ie just like any other sign). We give it out to prospective candidates and people that invariably complain after their signs are removed. The Policy Memo is dated back in 2004. That is very important in that it shows that this is not new and it is something that is enforced every election without bias.

Oh yea, it doesn't work to eliminate illegal signs. But it reduces the political bickering that "you treat me differently than him" or "this is not the way XYZ city does it."

We inform the Board of Elections of our zoning standards that prohibit signs in the right-of-way and they pass the information on to all the candidates. It doesn't work and I have been told by my elected officials to ignore all political signs. This doesn't sit well with the realtors if we start taking down their signs and leave the political signs in the r-o-w.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    we have done everything from ignore them to strictly enforce and remove all of them... all at direction of the City Manager and Council. Now we have had the ordinance ammended with no beginng date and 1 week removal date after the election to which they pertain. We remove or have removed by city crews signs with in the right of ways and sight triangles at intersections. We collect the signs and pile them up in spot at the City's maintance yard and dospose of them after 1 week after the election if unclaimed.

I knew of a municipality that used to put bright orange notice of violation stickers on the signs in violiation of their ordinance but the practice was stopped prior to a municipal election in which 3 of the 5 council members were up for re-election... go figure.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    We pull them if they are on public property, blocking the clear view, or present some other danger. Otherwise, we leave them alone until after the election.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Around here we don't pull them if we want to continue working in this City
    For the most part as long as they are down within a reasonable time we leave them alone. Our ord. does not address political signs.

One of the oddest things around here is that the political parties police each other. Our works board always announces that the signs cannot be on public property and if so found, they will be removed. We do nothing further and apparently, gangs of dem or rep sign watchers do the rest, gleefully removing the other party's signs when found to be in violation.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2004
    Where I work the City specifically allows political signs in the right of way. I thought it was an odd decision - but they made it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I don't see them as such a bad thing, spread out all over the place. I think it is part of the process, American, if you will.

Its the clean up that always seems to present a problem.

Beware of Federal Court Challenges

In several parts of the country, there have been Federal court challenges against municipal regulation of political signs. The most commonly challenged provision is the restriction against posting a political sign more than 30 days before an election. There really should be no time limit before the election.

Also, be sure to allow "issue" signs that state a political opinion separate from an election candidate. For example, the Supreme Court of the US said that every municipality must allow a resident to post an issue sign on their own property, such as an anti-war sign.

Prohibitions on political signs in the right-of-way and in public parks are enforceable - just make sure they are enforced evenly.

In PA., a number of municipalities used to require a deposit before political signs could be posted. The deposit was only returned after all the signs were removed. However, that type of requirement is now legally suspect. It also was unpopular with candidates who ran for office across many municipalities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Time limits on political signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Jan 2012, 8:42 AM
  2. The non-political political thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Sep 2004, 1:17 PM
  3. Political Hot or Not
    Friday Afternoon Club