Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Welcome to VANCOUVER :: 100 photos (BROADBAND)

Welcome to VANCOUVER :: 100 photos (BROADBAND)

well, the second leg of my trip has come to a close. my girlfriend and i will board a plane tomorrow afternoon bound for hong kong. you'll of course see lots of photos from there, but in the meantime, enjoy these pictures from...

VANCOUVER

* disclaimer: i'll be returning to vancouver in late august, so expect more photos then. and i already have another, smaller vancouver photo thread in the works for later this month.

THE END!

Registered
    Jan 2005

You've outdone youself once again, good sir. You have a seemingly innate ability to capture people and their bustling lives on film without them being aware of it.

Off-topic:
    *reminder to self* go to VPL and pick up your book, idiot

Registered
    Mar 2005
    For about the thirtieth time, Vancouver has entered my "top places to visit before I turn thirty" list. It's now just below Munich, and a slot above New York.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    This thread has firmly established three things in my mond:

1. Vancouver is a beautiful, vibrant city

2. There is a heavy Asian influence.

3. Chris DeWolf LOVES women!

Adrift in a sea of beige

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Great photos. Looks like an incredible place, I would really lie to get there to visit someday.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I am really upset. I had a chance to go to Vancouver when I was in Seattle in May. But I thought that Vancouver side trip would be stretching my travel budget. Next tiem , I just say screw it and go. Great pictures!!!! The pictures of different cities is my favorite thing about Cyburbia!!
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great pictures. Do people ever hassle you about taking their photos? Like the women in bikinis, for instance? Or do you use a telephoto?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Great pictures. Do people ever hassle you about taking their photos? Like the women in bikinis, for instance? Or do you use a telephoto?
    In my experience, most people don't mind or don't say anything if they do mind when you snap it. Exceptions are homeless people and hoodies. I have a theory that most people are flattered when someone takes their picture, especially if they feel good about how they look. Those girls in bikinis would be the least likely to say anything, in my experience.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I was in Vancouver in March of 2002 and this thread makes me now only want to go again, but move there also. I thoroughly enjoyed my time downtown and a couple of those photos brought back some fantastic memories...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

nobody said anything to me in vancouver. many people spot me taking photos of them -- you'll see some subjects staring straight at me, like the guy sitting with his friend under the palm tree, or the old man on the bus -- but they don't seem to mind. it's the same way everywhere else i've been.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Great photos! I especially enjoyed a select few of them, if you know what I mean

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Great Pics...living in Vancouver, I take most of the scenery and the beauty for granted, so when other people see it for the first, second, third time, it makes me realize just how damn lucky I am to live here...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    beautiful photos!!!

Wow....The City of Vancouver had a population of 545,671 in 2001. That skyline shot made me think that Vancouver should have a much larger population than just 545K and change.

that skyline makes me think of a city 3-4 times larger. Or is it just an illusion (it's really long, parrelleling the shore, but is only 3 blocks deep )
    Last edited by mendelman; 22 Jul 2005 at 9:28 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Downtown residential population is ~80,000 or so, I believe.

As for the asian influence... *abrowne thinks of his own asian girlfriend* So it's true. What of it? "Wanna fight about it?"

actually, i think the downtown population is closer to 100,000 now.

the vancouver metropolitan area has 2.1 million people and is relatively compact; the fact that the city of vancouver proper has just 575,000 people really doesn't make a difference when it comes to the amount of highrises in the city.

the skyline isn't an illusion -- it really is that dense. the whole downtown peninsula, which is maybe two square miles big, is a forest of highrises.

as for the asian influence, yes, that can't be overstated. vancouver is probably the most asian city in north america in that so much asian culture is so readily accessible in every corner of the city. some people on other forums commented that i must take a lot of photos in chinatown because this thread has so many asian people in it... but none of these photos were taken anywhere near chinatown.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Jun 2007, 2:45 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 4:51 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Dec 2005, 5:03 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 May 2005, 5:29 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Apr 2004, 1:22 PM