Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Recording Equipment

Registered
    May 1997

Recording Equipment

I need to buy some high-quality recording equipment that will let me record a good transcript of a development review board, planning commission, etc., meetings. It has to be portable as we use three different venues for meetings. Does anyone have a recommendation on brand names? a distributor?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I bought a YEPP MP3 player with a voice recorder to record our public meetings after I was accused of misquoting someone in one of my columns. It does fine in one on one conversations but is pretty weak on picking up a speaker across the room. I would suggest something of higher quality then this.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    anything will record.. but make sure to get a unit with or buy a quality uni-directional microphone.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

I have the Sony ICD-ST25 digital recorder. It does an excelent job even accross a large dining room. It comes with the program to move, store, and e-mail recordings as well as being compatible with a couple of word recognition programs for transcribing. These I have not used as they are way too expensive for my use. The cost of this thing was around $165.00 at Office Max.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Holy cow that's cheap! Technology is so accessible these days, it is amazing.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I bought Mrs Rem an iRiver as a mothers' day gift - she uses it at Uni to supplement her notes. The sales geek told me a stereo microphone was the go for higher quality recordings viz boiker's suggestion.

She is very happy with its recording capabilities - she likes the 'toy' aspects of the thing as well - massive MP3 memory, photograph store, she can even download word documents on to it for revision and subediting.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Since we're not talking about zoning or land use, this thread would be a better fit for the FAC.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Nov 2012, 2:11 AM
  2. Equipment Rental/Leasing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 10:50 AM
  3. Recording device for meetings
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 8:56 AM