Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Draft Information for Newbies (w/ Viking Rule!)

Registered
    Oct 2001

Draft Information for Newbies (w/ Viking Rule!)

Okay, this is how we do it.

1) You'll see a thread started by NH or myself titled "North Draft - Round 1" or "South Draft - Round 1" and so on...

2) In the first post, you'll see the draft order for that round.

3) When it comes to your turn, you do two things... you select a player that is not on a keeper list or previously chosen, and you set the clock for the next team.

4) The "clock" is the amount of time a team has to make the next selection. Generally, we start out with a generous amount of time (24 hours) and by the end of the draft have it down to 4-8 hours, depending on the time left before the season begins. The clock is suspended over the week-end (always), and if we get down to four hours, at night.

5) NH or myself will continue to edit the "Draft Results" thread with the selected players, and open up new threads as we finish rounds.

The "Viking Rule" Explained (Named for the Minnesota Vikings draft faux pas of 2003)

If a team picks at 3:00 p.m. EST (We keep the same time zone, even though we're all over the place), and there is a 24 hour limit, the next team has until 3:00 p.m. the next day to select. If that team has not picked by that time, at 3:01 p.m. the next team may draft a player.

When the team that has "gone Viking" realizes they have been passed over, they may make their selection at any time, noting at the top of the post it is a "Viking Pick", however they may not select players drafted by any other teams, including those selected after thier original spot in the order.

A Helpful Hint or Two - First, make a cheat sheet. List all the players, then cross off those who are keepers in your division, and continue to cross them off as they are selected. Second, check the draft thread often for two reasons. If there are six teams to draft ahead of you, and the clock is at four hours, you don't have 24 hours to select! If all six pick in a five minute window... four hours later, you go Viking! Also, even if you keep a good record on your cheat sheet, you could pick a player already selected. We'll catch it, and post it, but if you run off and your time runs out... guess what? You go Viking! Avoid that at all costs...

Lastly, we'll make some smack talk threads, so in the actual drafting thread, just post your selection and the clock time. Yeah, we call each other funny names from time to time, but no additioal posts, please.

NH? Anything to add?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I think you've got it covered.

Why don't we try to start the North draft Monday next week?
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner

Great idea. Sooner the better if you ask me.

Who's bringing the strong coffee? We'll need it
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001

Monday is fine if we have plenty of time between picks, and if you can set it in motion. Tragically, we had one of our department heads drown in a boating accident, and we have a memorial service that morning. I'll be in afterwards so I can work in peace and quiet... City Hall is closed.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'll be ready then, although it'll be some time before I pick...
    This'll give me some time to get a couple football mags and find some good ball players.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Mastiff or NHP: perhaps we should re-open or cut and paste the old thread about the number of players drafted, positions and starting team info (positions, number of starters, etc) for the benefit of the newbies...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Mastiff or NHP: perhaps we should re-open or cut and paste the old thread about the number of players drafted, positions and starting team info (positions, number of starters, etc) for the benefit of the newbies...
    That would be great!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    If Mastiff doesn't beat me to it, I'll post it when I come back from lunch.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As the first picker in the North League, I am ready to pick on Monday at either 7:30 EST am or 8:30 am EST. Now to narrow the selection betweeen D. Culpepper and E. James. The choice......
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    As the first picker in the North League, I am ready to pick on Monday at either 7:30 EST am or 8:30 am EST. Now to narrow the selection betweeen D. Culpepper and E. James. The choice......
    Why wait? I opened the thread, we're ready to go!

Oh, and I think you should seriously consider Gus Frerotte instead of those other bums you mentioned...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    bump up!!!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the draft rules. It helps a lot. Good luck!
    Satellite City Enabler

How many positions score weekly? I never saw that in all the fantasy f-ball threads?

I assume
    1 QB
    2 RB
    2 WR
    1 TE
    1 K
    Also How does the defensive players work??
    1 DL?
    1 DB?

Moderator note:
    Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, D, D, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
    The three "D" players are just individual players... LB, DL, or DB.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    Moderator note:
    Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, D, D, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

A couple of questions about this. What is W/T and W/R and do your bench players score you points or are they there in case of injury? I do not understand how the bench players participate. Could you please enlighten me on these. I am confused. Thanks!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it
    A couple of questions about this. What is W/T and W/R and do your bench players score you points or are they there in case of injury? I do not understand how the bench players participate. Could you please enlighten me on these. I am confused. Thanks!
    Moderator note:
    W/T can be filled by either a WR or TE
    W/R can be filled by either a WR or RB

Bench positions do not earn points during the week, but are a necessary component of a team, since you will need players to fill roster spots due to bye weeks, injuries, etc.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Moderator note:
    W/T can be filled by either a WR or TE
    W/R can be filled by either a WR or RB

Bench positions do not earn points during the week, but are a necessary component of a team, since you will need players to fill roster spots due to bye weeks, injuries, etc.
    Thanks for the info. That helps!
    Satellite City Enabler

Thanks

I saw the # of positions after glancing at the Yahoo site again. I will draft accordingly.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Bumped and stuck
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Both Divisions have started with a 4 hour clock for 2007. This will be reevaluated and reduced as the drafts progress.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Bump up for reminder purposes. 4 Hour clock to start the 2008 draft.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    What are the hours the draft rules are in effect? IE 10am to 6pm EST?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    What are the hours the draft rules are in effect? IE 10am to 6pm EST?
    9AM Eastern to 6 PM Eastern.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mod View post
    A Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, D, D, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
    This hasn't changed, has it? I see the settings in the Yahoo league are currently a little different.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by geobandito View post
    This hasn't changed, has it? I see the settings in the Yahoo league are currently a little different.
    I copied the setting exactly as they were from last year's league....for some reason it got messed up...will fix now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 05 Sep 2013, 1:15 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 05 Sep 2013, 1:03 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 10:11 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 10:32 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Oct 2006, 2:09 PM