Urban planning community

Poll results: Who wants to have an animated avatar week?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do! I do!

21 55.26%
  • Not me.

17 44.74%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who wants to have an animated avatar week?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Who wants to have an animated avatar week?

I don't really do the animated avatars -- I am not that savvy and god knows I am a total bore. But I have heard rumors that some folks here would really like to have another animated avatar week. Can we get a show of hands?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Hmm.
    1) What is an animated avatar? bearing in mind I only just worked out how to get an avatar of any kind. Presumably jsut a moving version of same?

2) Should animated avatar week go ahead, how do i get one?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    Hmm.
    1) What is an animated avatar? bearing in mind I only just worked out how to get an avatar of any kind. Presumably jsut a moving version of same?

Animated avatars are just what it says, they are small 'animated' .gif files. Instead of just sitting there and looking pretty, they actually do things. I assume that they can be found wherever .gif files are available (or, with enough time and the right software, you can make your own).

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    Hmm.

1) Yes, a moving avatar.
    I think this is the last one we had, for an idea of how it goes: Animated avatar week! (9-12 - 9-18)
    2) Here are some Avatar creation tools. However, I am not sure if any of those sources help create animated ones. I am still looking for where sources for animated avatars were previously discussed. EDIT: I cannot find it. Maybe I imagined that discussion.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Am now completely and utterly positively all for it. Really.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Go the animated avatars!
    Great mindless think alike.

Planning my way out of wet paper bag since 2003

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Anamated avatar weeks are themed events, so we need to come up with a theme.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Anamated avatar weeks are themed events, so we need to come up with a theme.
    Oh, thanks. Like I said: I don't normally play and it isn't actually my idea. I am just being The Mouth Piece.

Asking for suggestions for a theme. Please donate your suggestions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'm in but just because I like seeing some funny animated avatars, I rarely put one, and I hink I'll stick with my zombie themed avatar.... sort of...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm in but only if I can deviate from the theme or the theme somehow incorporates toast and/or breakfest.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2004
    As a serial avatar changer I'm fully supportive.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm all for a breakfast theme! and we all know it's the most important meal of the day!

Edit: actually i just realised the difficulty of finding a bacon and eggs related .gif file. Hmm. Am withdrawing support for the toast/breakfast scheme.
    Last edited by chukky; 25 Jul 2005 at 7:21 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2003

A Theme

I voted no because I can never find one I like, but if we must have one I think we should go with Noj's current avatar and make it Cricket. There must be hundreds of options available in North America of fun and interesting animated Cricket avatars.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    I voted no because I can never find one I like, but if we must have one I think we should go with Noj's current avatar and make it Cricket. There must be hundreds of options available in North America of fun and interesting animated Cricket avatars.
    oh...yes....because Cricket is so maddeningly popular here in the States.

I'm in for the week....the theme should be....related to things that move....hmmmm...yes, that sounds superb.

or crazy aminals.
    Last edited by mendelman; 25 Jul 2005 at 9:07 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Can anyone find an Animated Redwings logo or a dancing octopi?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would do it but I'm reluctant to change my avatar at all. I see it's no longer available on the avatar list and if I change I'll have to permanently lose the face of Maister.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I would do it but I'm reluctant to change my avatar at all. I see it's no longer available on the avatar list and if I change I'll have to permanently lose the face of Maister.
    Off-topic:
    just right click the pic and save onto your computer, then you can reload it after the week is over. You'll then have yourself available forever
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:
    just right click the pic and save onto your computer, then you can reload it after the week is over. You'll then have yourself available forever
    Off-topic:
    Isn't that kinda like posting images? You'll notice I don't do that either. Oh sure, I could ask Michaelskis for the umpteenth time to show me how to do it (and believe me I could think of some hilarious sh*t to post), but I get the impression he's getting majorly tired of this and for some reason even if I follow written directions on how to post images or do this sort of thing it never seems to work out.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Off-topic:
    Isn't that kinda like posting images? You'll notice I don't do that either. Oh sure, I could ask Michaelskis for the umpteenth time to show me how to do it (and believe me I could think of some hilarious sh*t to post), but I get the impression he's getting majorly tired of this and for some reason even if I follow written directions on how to post images or do this sort of thing it never seems to work out.
    And it is done. (I have it loaded in my Temp folder in the gallery)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm all for things that move.

BTW, although I found my avatar on a German website (I copied it using a screenshot), I did heavily edit it to make it cleaner and easier to view.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

or....more likely....

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Can anyone find an Animated Redwings logo or a dancing octopi?
    a dejected fan clutching their hair in the agony of defeat
    Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha.......
    GO AVS!! oh, and Panthers!!!

The One gearing up for the return of Hacky by zinging the skis....and looking for muscle from Z-man on the skis, if he tries to retaliate
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    a dejected fan clutching their hair in the agony of defeat
    Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha.......
    GO AVS!! oh, and Panthers!!!
    Off-topic:
    OHHH Your funny! It is better than an Avs avatar, you know the one with that fan sitting at home in his mom’s basement working on his robot GF.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think a hockey theme would be appropriate given the ending of the NHL lockout. I wonder if I can find an animated "greedy hockey player"?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 6:20 PM
  2. Animated Avatar Week [Temp 2]
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jan 2005, 9:40 AM
  3. Animated avatar week! (9-12 - 9-18)
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 21 Sep 2004, 12:26 AM