Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for Canadian immigrationinformation

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005

Looking for Canadian immigrationinformation

This is Prince, and I am new to the thread...I am a Texas college student who will be graduating within the next six months (hopefully), and I plan on moving to either Toronto (first option) or Montreal (second option) upon receiving my diploma. My question is, beside the obvious weather adjustments, what things must be done to ensure that I am able to successfully move from Texas to Toronto or Montreal? I know it can't be as easy as pack up, drive to Toronto, and settle. What papers/documents must I fill out? Who in Ontario or Quebec do I need to contact to become a resident? Also, are there any Montrealers on the thread? If so, what percentage of the population is francophone, and how imperative is it that I learn French to survive up there? I would appreciate insight that you guys could give me. Also, are either one of these cities major media markets? I'm a communications major.

Thanks

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Prince
    This is Prince, and I am new to the thread...I am a Texas college student who will be graduating within the next six months (hopefully), and I plan on moving to either Toronto (first option) or Montreal (second option) upon receiving my diploma. My question is, beside the obvious weather adjustments, what things must be done to ensure that I am able to successfully move from Texas to Toronto or Montreal? I know it can't be as easy as pack up, drive to Toronto, and settle. What papers/documents must I fill out? Who in Ontario or Quebec do I need to contact to become a resident? Also, are there any Montrealers on the thread? If so, what percentage of the population is francophone, and how imperative is it that I learn French to survive up there? I would appreciate insight that you guys could give me. Also, are either one of these cities major media markets? I'm a communications major.

Thanks
    I would check with Immigration Canada for the complete nitty-gritty, but they will generally refuse entry to anyone who is just coming in to look for work. You'll need paperwork from a prospective employer plus some other forms in line before they'll let you in.

Both metros are major media markets, BTW.

Mike

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Thanks Mike...I'll check that out. I guess i should start immediately on the process

If you don't speak french you will have a horrible time finding work in Montreal. Government jobs are 100% french. Private sector jobs are 100% bilingual. Of course if you can provide your own income then more power to you.

You are better off heading to Vancouver than Montreal.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Well, my foremost option always has been and is Toronto. I only mentioned Montreal as a second city that seems interesting, but Toronto was the main reason that I decided that i wanted to make Canada my home. I've read that it is the economic and media hub of Canada. Its been written that Toronto is the "New York City" of Canada, of sorts.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Prince, I just immigrated to Canada last month. I did it an easy way, though - I'm married to someone who got a student visa. I would agree with the advice to look at the Immigration Canada website. It's pretty good at outlining how to go about immigrating. And it has a little pre-test you can take to see if you can earn enough "points" to be allowed in.

Incidentally, a friend of ours moved to Montreal last year on a student visa and her husband had no trouble finding jobs even though he spoke almost no French. But he's in sales; maybe money is the universal language.

Registered
    Apr 2005

Soon to be American employee

HA!! That's funny. I'm looking to go the other way. I know that for me I need a TN 1 Visa to get into the US and an American workplace sponsors me. I don't know the process on coming here to Canada from the US is?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey....

Quote Originally posted by buck42
    How about that.....I scored a 78 and only needed a 67 to qualify.......maybe I'll start packing my bags for Canada now.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    How about that.....I scored a 78 and only needed a 67 to qualify.......maybe I'll start packing my bags for Canada now.....
    This is timely... I'm filling out the paperwork for my permanent residency this weekend. I score an 89. Yay!

Unfortunately, I have to pay almost $2000 in application fees this week though. Doh!

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    It costs 2 thousand dollars to move to Canada? Good lord that's a lot of money!!!! Ah well, it's a live place to live, so I guess that it's well worth it.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Prince
    It costs 2 thousand dollars to move to Canada? Good lord that's a lot of money!!!! Ah well, it's a live place to live, so I guess that it's well worth it.
    No, it costs 2 thousand dollars to apply for permanent residency. I don't know how much a work visa costs.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Canadian MUP schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Feb 2009, 1:21 PM
  2. Canadian Content
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 21 Feb 2006, 4:56 PM
  3. Canadian Accents
    Friday Afternoon Club