Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I've got baby news of my own

Registered
    Dec 2001

I've got baby news of my own

Mr. Habanero and I found out we're going to be the proud parent of a baby girl. Surprise surprise, she's got very long legs, I wonder where she gets her height?

Let the Cyburbia naming game begin!

(and a picture of her fat cheeks for good measure)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat cheeks.JPG  
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats! Hope you are doing well.

As with previous naming threads:
    Traditional - stay with family names, Biblical names.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Is there a reason you don't want to go with "Hab, Jr" ???? Cool pic. I, too, like traditional names. But nothing on any recent top 10 baby name lists.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congratulations!

Here's some names to try on for size, submitted because I like them.....

Jennifer Christine
    Molly Anne
    Rebecca Lynne

Bear (This is not a submission. )
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm fond of traditional names for first names, then a family name in the middle.

First name suggestions:

Victoria
    Elizabeth
    Katherine

Of course, they have to work with the last name, too. Hate to end up with initials that spell out something bad!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Congrats about the baby! I hope all goes well, best wishes to you and your family!

Now.. I'm not particularly fond of letting others do the naming job for you.... afterall it's the parents choice, not a bunch of Cyburbians'... Although if you're looking for an advice, I'll give you some guidelines:
    1.- Never name your son/daughter after one of their parents, it's just confusing and egocentric, although the problem about calling to the landline phone and getting confused with the names is quite over with the reign of cell phones and the fact that kids practically are born with a cell phone implanted in their bodies, it's still leaves space for confusion.

2.-When having more than one kid, name them diferent enough so when you yell their name when they're doing something bad, they can clearly differeciate it, and of course avoid confusions.

3.-Avoid cliché names at all costs... I doubt you want your kid to have the same name as 3 other classmates....

I find this quite obvious, but as I've always said... Common sense is the least common thing of all.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats, Habs. My recommendations for names:

Madison Blues Habs
    Gear Jammer Habs
    Rumpy Jake Habs
    Queen Budgie Habs
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Very strong leanings towards traditional american names! Somewhat surprising (although it probably shouldn't be). I've always liked the name Mackenzie, but would avoid it because of the danger of it being shortened to Mack - or worse, Mac.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    3.-Avoid cliché names at all costs... I doubt you want your kid to have the same name as 3 other classmates....
    more importantly,avoid the unique names. Or the new spellings of old names. Like Brit-Nee. Or Unique. (that actually topped a list i saw a while back) Think of how it will sound on a business card/presidental campaign poster. Lokelani is cute but it really won't cut it.

If in doubt, call her Marigold and hope that she does! Had to throw that in...

Oh and incidently, after my preachy-ness, CONGRATULATIONS. GOOD LUCK. GOOD HEALTH.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congratulations Hab. How far along are you? This isn't a SFO baby is it? I suppose you will have to update your expenses and benefits statement from the conference if it is.

As for names - I think you should stick with the chili theme - chipotle, poblano, arbol, pequin, etc. Among that group, I vote for Poblano - because it rolls off the tongue, is mild to hot without being in the medical emergency category. Oh - and is green in colour which should suit a planner's off spring.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Samantha Adams

I know that the GF like Jordan.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Wow -- color ultrasound! Just b&w when we had our last one!

Congratulations on the little miss. I like the names that are a little off the beaten trail -- but not too far.

Best wishes to the family Habanero!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Hannah Marie Habanero
    Autumn Bliss Habanero
    Candy Sherrie Habanero
    Christina Amanpour Habanero
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Habs, congratulations on the baby girl! I wish you the best!
    Girl names elude my family since there only seems to be only boys.

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    I've always liked the name Mackenzie, but would avoid it because of the danger of it being shortened to Mack - or worse, Mac.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name Mac!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thanks for the well wishes! It's not a SFO baby, we had found out about a week prior so that's why I couldn't partake at the pub. I'm 6 months today, so not much longer and then we'll get to meet her in person.

My brother suggested Crustacean, but I think we're leaning more towards a "k" name right now (although "poblano" has a nice ring to it. )
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Congrats!

I don't know why, but Simone comes to mind.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    That's so great...Congrats!

I love my stepdaughter's name...Grace (or Gracie as we generally call her).
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats to the whole family!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    That's so great...Congrats!

I love my stepdaughter's name...Grace (or Gracie as we generally call her).
    I think Grace is an excellent middle name. My youngest (by 2 minutes) is named Aubrey Grace.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Congrats on the lil' (probably destined to be tall) girl!

Mrs. B and I considered Ellie for a girl.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congratulations!!!

I'm a big fan of using family names. It gives them more meaning and significance than just picking a name because it sounds pretty.

Stay away from dumb spellings of common names, ie Britneeeeeeeee.

Please make it something that the poor girl's kindergarten teacher can pronounce--in other words, be careful about making up new names.

Always ask yourself "would I have given my parents the beating of their lives if they had named me this".

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Congrats on your soon to be little girl!!
    My favorite girl names are: Rachael and Talia, either of which I would have named a little girl...I also love Grace, Lily and Skye.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Congrats - she's beautiful!!

As others have said, I really love traditional, familial names. My daughter is Josephine Grace (Josephine after my grandmother and Grace after hubbys grandmother). We didn't know what I was having, so I tried to come up with 2 girl names and 2 boy names, and girls name was easy. A boys name, not very! In my family tree we have a lot of August, Otto, etc. and I'm not *that* traditional. You know what name I LOVE, but everyone made fun of me??? Francis. I don't know why, but I really like that name.

The only one with a "K" that I can come up with is Katherine. It really depends on what you guys are looking for - contemporary, popular, traditional, etc.

This was seriously one of the hardest things to figure out while I was pregnant, because it is so important. Here are some suggestions:
    *Make sure the entire name sounds good together, avoid rhyming (ex. Milton Hilton)
    *Make sure initials don't spell anything (ex. Anthony Stuart Stewart)
    *Syllables should all sound good together (Try to not make it too short or too long)
    *Try to come up with a couple different options to make sure all future kids will be consistent. You don't want one traditional name, then one super contemporary.
    *Don't pick anything that has an easily identifiable joke associated with it. Kids will come up with anything, but don't make it too easy. (ex. Grody Brody)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    This was seriously one of the hardest things to figure out while I was pregnant, because it is so important. Here are some suggestions:
    *Make sure the entire name sounds good together, avoid rhyming (ex. Milton Hilton)
    *Syllables should all sound good together (Try to not make it too short or too long)
    *Try to come up with a couple different options to make sure all future kids will be consistent. You don't want one traditional name, then one super contemporary.
    *Don't pick anything that has an easily identifiable joke associated with it. Kids will come up with anything, but don't make it too easy. (ex. Grody Brody)
    Very good baby name advice. SW MI Planner, have you ever considered a second career as a "baby name consultant". There's gotta be a market out there somewhere.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Someone recently told my mom that parents should consider how the name sounds with "Chief Justice" in front of it....

Chief Justice Misty ....... vs Chief Justice Elizabeth
    Chief Justice Dakota...... vs Chief Justice John

I thought it was an interesting comment....so Chief Justice Isabelle....not bad.

BTW - Congrats Habanero!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 1:56 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 3:06 PM
  3. No news is good news??
    Friday Afternoon Club