Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why no amphitheater in the Twin Cities?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

Why no amphitheater in the Twin Cities?

Why are there no major amphitheaters (20,000 capacity+) in Minnesota? It seems like every major metro in the U.S. has one...yet there are none here. Aren't they missing out when big festivals like Ozzfest or Country Thunder come around. Or when Aerosmith goes on a summer tour? Or when amphiteater staples like Dave Matthews or Jimmy Buffet hit the road? Every metro has one, but Minneapolis-St. Paul doesn't. Why? And don't blame the weather, cause it gets as hot here as anywhere else in the Midwest. And I'm sure one of the several fortune 500 companies in the Twin Cities would just jump at the chance for naming rights.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2002

There used to be?

There used to be one on the edge of the metro area- I want to say it was called Fox something but I forget what. Don't know if its still there- it is pretty far out of town but everything is far apart in MSP...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    There used to be one on the edge of the metro area- I want to say it was called Fox something but I forget what. Don't know if its still there- it is pretty far out of town but everything is far apart in MSP...
    Well most of them are pretty far from the city.

Alpine Valley in Wisconsin is located very far out of the Milwuakee area.
    Bonner Springs, KS isn't super-close to Kansas City either.
    And Burgettstown, PA or Bristow, VA...talk about far.
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Metropolitan Toledo is about one-sixth the population of metro Minneapolis-St. Paul and that market size is reason enough to NOT have an ampitheater. Also, Blossom Center (Cleveland metro) is only one-hundred (100) miles east on the Ohio Turnpike. DTE Center (formerly Pine Knob) is in the northern burbs of Detroit and is only about an hour and a half away, as a Toledo music lover works their way north through I-75 (central core tour) or I-23, I-696, blah-blah (suburban sprawl tour).

But.....we have an ampitheater, half-finished, visible from the Ohio Turnpike.

Interstates 80/90 (The Ohio Turnpike) and Interstate 75 junction in suburban Perrysburg, OH. The land in this area is controlled by the city of Perrysburg, Perrysburg Township, and the city of Rossford. Because the traffice counts are very high at this junction, certain "experts" thought that it would be a great location for an ampitheater.

Music lovers would come north (from central Ohio, including Dayton and Columbus)......east (from western Ohio, from mid-Michigan and northeastern Indiana)......south (from Toledo's biggest suburb, Michigan's Bedford Township AND Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, downriver suburbs of Detroit).....and west (from the heavily-populated lakeshore communities that line Lake Erie from Toledo to Cleveland).

The project was started (in land just behind my ex-boss'es house). A big hill was graded, grass was planted, the main structure of the amiptheater was erected. And then funding stopped, it turned into a financial and political squabble, and it has remained "un-finished" for a number of years.

The next time you are on the Ohio Turnpike, look south (just east of the I-75 interchange). You will see the ampitheater. Roll your window down and listen very closely.....is that The Doobie Brothers? "Rockin' Down The Highway"?

You have to listen really hard.

Bear

EDIT: I never added an ampitheater to my project list for my fake city, De Noc. I believe that the weather WOULD have an influence in that location. Summers are cooler than Minneapolis-St. Paul and the evenings (prime time for ampitheater venues) can be cold.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Metropolitan Toledo is about one-sixth the population of metro Minneapolis-St. Paul and that market size is reason enough to NOT have an ampitheater. Also, Blossom Center (Cleveland metro) is only one-hundred (100) miles east on the Ohio Turnpike. DTE Center (formerly Pine Knob) is in the northern burbs of Detroit and is only about an hour and a half away, as a Toledo music lover works their way north through I-75 (central core tour) or I-23, I-696, blah-blah (suburban sprawl tour).

But.....we have an ampitheater, half-finished, visible from the Ohio Turnpike.

Interstates 80/90 (The Ohio Turnpike) and Interstate 75 junction in suburban Perrysburg, OH. The land in this area is controlled by the city of Perrysburg, Perrysburg Township, and the city of Rossford. Because the traffice counts are very high at this junction, certain "experts" thought that it would be a great location for an ampitheater.

Music lovers would come north (from central Ohio, including Dayton and Columbus)......east (from western Ohio, from mid-Michigan and northeastern Indiana)......south (from Toledo's biggest suburb, Michigan's Bedford Township AND Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, downriver suburbs of Detroit).....and west (from the heavily-populated lakeshore communities that line Lake Erie from Toledo to Cleveland).

The project was started (in land just behind my ex-boss'es house). A big hill was graded, grass was planted, the main structure of the amiptheater was erected. And then funding stopped, it turned into a financial and political squabble, and it has remained "un-finished" for a number of years.

The next time you are on the Ohio Turnpike, look south (just east of the I-75 interchange). You will see the ampitheater. Roll your window down and listen very closely.....is that The Doobie Brothers? "Rockin' Down The Highway"?

You have to listen really hard.

Bear

EDIT: I never added an ampitheater to my project list for my fake city, De Noc. I believe that the weather WOULD have an influence in that location. Summers are cooler than Minneapolis-St. Paul and the evenings (prime time for ampitheater venues) can be cold.
    Very intresting that they started an ampitheater project there. Any ideas on the seating? Is it up to par with the big ones like Blossom or DTE? Also, I think Dayton and Columbus are a stretch since Columbus has a thriving amphitheater(s) of its own (Polaris and Germain).

Good decision for DeNoc though. I frequent Door County, WI often and it can get mighty cold there on a summer's night. So it must be even colder in DeNoc. Also, there's no chance of leaving it open through the fall either. You're much better off with a big huge arena.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I finally found one:

http://www.floatrite.com/amphitheatre.html

Float-rite Ampitheatre is located off the Apple River in Somerset, WI. It doesn't appear as nice or as steep as a lot of other ones, but it works. Ozzfest was supposed to play hear this summer, but it has been postponed to September. I think Country Thunder might be held here as well, but not sure.

It's about a half hour from St. Paul.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    I finally found one:

http://www.floatrite.com/amphitheatre.html

Float-rite Ampitheatre is located off the Apple River in Somerset, WI. It doesn't appear as nice or as steep as a lot of other ones, but it works. Ozzfest was supposed to play hear this summer, but it has been postponed to September. I think Country Thunder might be held here as well, but not sure.

It's about a half hour from St. Paul.
    Sorry, I'm brand new here, but I would have mentioned that one, except it wasn't in Minnesota proper.

We put up border patrols to catch those nasty impaired drivers coming back home. Shocking, isn't it?

The MN Wild hockey team owner wanted to build one, I believe environmental regs shot it down. Other ampitheatres have made the papers over the years. Each one NIMBYed better than the last.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 73
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 5:01 PM
  2. Greetings from the Twin Cities
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Sep 2009, 11:56 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 May 2009, 9:48 PM
  4. Portland versus Twin Cities
    Design, Space, and Place