Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Definition help - "tandem houses"

Registered
    Jun 2003

Definition help - "tandem houses"

I am in the process of reviewing some development guidelines from a developer. He uses the term “Tandem Houses”. What are Tandem Houses? Are they the same as Duplexes? please help me with a definition!!

Thanks
    “I injured a rock… Hospitalized a brick… I’m so bad I make medicine Sick!!!!”
    Muhammad Ali

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why don't you just call him and ask for a plan that shows what he's calling 'tandem houses' and then relate it back to whatever your municipality uses for a similar use. I don't know what a tandem house is either. My guess is that your developer is the only one that knows for sure what he's talking about.
    Last edited by nerudite; 26 Jul 2005 at 10:13 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This sounds like "developer-speak." If duplex is a word that gets people nervous, then they come up with a new term. I would guess your definition is correct, but you might as well give them a call and ask.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've seen the term used over here in marketing BS to described a pair of houses on a single lot that are not attached (we call them detached dual occupancies in planning instruments). We would expect a duplex to be attached houses. A tandem probably has a shared direveway and may have attached garages.

I think Cardinal is probably right about why the term was invented and I agree with nerudite about how to make sure of the meaning.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Along the same lines, Sumner, Wash uses the definition "two unattached ground-related dwelling units occupying the same lot". I have no idea what "ground-related" means, but can guess - talk about doublespeak!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Tandem means "having two identical components arranged one behind the other. ie: a tandem axle." So, I agree with what's been said so far, but off hand, I would have agreed with you about the duplex-type house. I guess you'll have to ask.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    (Dan) Changed the thread title from "Definition help" alone. Thread titles in the Planning and Built Environment subforums should be descriptive.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:13 AM
  2. Definitions Good definition for "race track"
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Jul 2010, 5:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Jul 2009, 11:05 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 16 Mar 2009, 10:32 AM