Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mind Messin Movie Moments

Registered
    Feb 2004

Mind Messin Movie Moments

Stan, er, Michaelskis and I were discussing what were the biggest mind blowing movies/scenes out there.
    :
    the Statue of Liberty ending of Planet of the Apes
    Jacob's Ladder
    "Soylent Green is people!"
    Uh, that scene in the Crying Game - you know the one....
    When Bruce Willis figures out he's dead in 'Sixth Sense'

I'm sure that's a fairly definitive list and there are probably none that were missed. Right?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    When Bruce Willis figures out he's dead in 'Sixth Sense'
    YEP, that's the first one that came to my mind. Absolutely freaked me out.

BTW, what's up with the care bear?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    YEP, that's the first one that came to my mind. Absolutely freaked me out.

BTW, what's up with the care bear?
    Off-topic:
    Why, he's cute and cuddly and just makes me feel good looking at him. Doesn't he put a smile on your face too?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

How about

Dead Ringers....the whole movie.....
    oh and maniac cop when he realizes he's been bad.........snicker.......ha ha ha.......just checking to see if anyone saw this gem in the 80's
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The top for me would be from Empire Strikes Back when Vader revealed that he was Luke's father....messed with my adolescent head for a long time until [ROTJ[/i] came out a year and a half later.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Dead Ringers....the whole movie.....
    oh and maniac cop when he realizes he's been bad.........snicker.......ha ha ha.......just checking to see if anyone saw this gem in the 80's
    I've seen that title at the video store a few times and thought about getting it. Is it worth watching? Is it possible to describe the premise of the movie without ruining the experience?

I'm just waiting for Nerudite to post her top mind blowing picks. I recall seeing her name a dozen or more obscure movies once that I'd never heard of on another thread. Some of the best mind blowing moments are found in obscure indie flicks.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The Statue of Liberty in Planet of the Apes is pretty mind blowing. Mrs B and I own the box set that contains: Planet of the Apes, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, and Battle for the Planet of the Apes. It doesn't have the short run off-broadway sensation of "Stop the Planet of the Apes (I want to get off)" starring Troy McClure.

Can't comment on the other movies you mention Maister... haven't seen them.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2002
    Mess with your head?

1. The end of Momento
    2. The end of Unbreakable (awesome character, Mr. Glass)
    3. The Usual Suspects

These were all great movies, they haven't been mentioned yet, and I didn't see them coming. I'd include Al Pacino revealing himself as Satan in The Devil's Advocate, but I saw that one coming too easily. Didn't stop that from being a great movie though.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Dec 1998
    When I was a kid, "Poltergeist" was full of mind messin moments.

The twist at the end of "The Village" was one of those I didn't see coming.

2 Kevin Spacey movies: "The Usual Suspects" and "Se7en."
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    David Lynch's "Mullholland Drive" was a mind-blower!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Ah, just thought of one.

The scene in "The Beguiled" where Clint discovers that the crazy jealous woman and girls of the home chopped off his leg. That movie is full of subtle freaky moments.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Thought of another one. Anyone seen the movie "Final Approach"?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101874/plotsummary
    I won't ruin it for anyone but suffice it to say that by the end of the movie the viewer realizes s/he has been watching an entirely different genre of film than what they thought.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    yes, definitely Fight Club...I love this movie. Talk about repressed male angst.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    These were all great movies, they haven't been mentioned yet, and I didn't see them coming. I'd include Al Pacino revealing himself as Satan in The Devil's Advocate, but I saw that one coming too easily. Didn't stop that from being a great movie though.
    The moment in the 6th Sense when Willis discovers that he is dead definitely takes the cake in my book for being such a mind-blower. I did not see that coming in a million years.

Of course you have to include Vader being revealed as Lukes father in Empire Strikes Back.

Al Pacino revealing himself as the devil was not the shocking moment in Devil's Advocate, IMHO. I think the shock was that Reeves's character was the son of the devil. One of my favorite mind-shock movies though, along with Se7en and Twelve Monkeys.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Agree with Memento, one of my favorites, and Usual Suspects.

But what about No Way Out, the spy thriller with Kevin Costner?

P.S. I saw the Sixth Sense ending coming from a mile away

Registered
    May 2004
    o Twin Peaks, episode 7 or 8 I believe.
    o No Way Out
    o Resevoir Dogs

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Definately Fight Club!! (What a great movie)
    Seven
    The Game (with Michaels Douglas)
    Just watched Jacket with Adrian Brody, its a mind messin movie but at the same time a little slow
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (entire movie)
    there are others that come to mind, but I will have to think of them...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "Saving Private Ryan" when Tom Hanks gets killed trying to save France and Matt Damon. A waste on both accounts.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A lot of the best ones have been hit already...

I'll add:
    Vertigo
    The Machinist
    The Others
    Fallen

Ugh, I'm so bad at this when I'm put on the spot. I'll probably think of more and add to this later.

The scene in Jaws when the diver is surprised by the decomposing head that falls into the shark-bitten hole in the bottom of the boat. I was about 16 and went to see it with a hotty date and let's just say she knew after that that I was no He-Man Womyn Hater...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Some of the scenes in Alien still startle and creep me out.

Others

when charlotte dies in charlottes web,
    all of "after hours"
    all of mondo new york
    multiple scenes in kalifornia
    all of legend of the overfiend
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    A lot of the best ones have been hit already...

I'll add:
    Vertigo
    The Machinist
    The Others
    Fallen

Ugh, I'm so bad at this when I'm put on the spot. I'll probably think of more and add to this later.
    If you can mention Vertigo, then I can bring up Psycho. That was a freeky movie.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when Pee Wee learns that Large Marge was in fact a ghost. Shocking indeed.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2000
    No one has mentioned "Deliverance" or "Pulp Fiction" yet. The cocaine to the heart scene in "Pulp Fiction" still makes me want to vomit......... great piece of film making.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Moments where you think of BUN
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 11:44 PM
  2. Moronic Moments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jul 2006, 5:28 PM
  3. Best Television Moments