Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Photos of Paris ring road - Periphèrique

Registered
    Apr 2005

Photos of Paris ring road - Periphèrique

Hi,

Anybody has pictures of this ring road (current and old)?
    I need to know what happens near to the ring (functional usage, morphological types, historical evolution, etc)

Thanks! :o)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by fatimalp
    Hi,

Anybody has pictures of this ring road (current and old)?
    I need to know what happens near to the ring (functional usage, morphological types, historical evolution, etc)

Thanks! :o)
    The Peripherique is a ring motorway that completely encircles the City of Paris, running very close (within a few blocks either way) of the city limits. The dense city is inside of it, the sprawling suburbs outside. Most of the main motorways that radiate outward from Paris end at this ring road and one must use local streets or the Metro to get further in. I suspect that land use along it is typical for the type of road that it is, with lots of highway-style commercial and many futbol stadia.

See:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.85...2047&t=k&hl=en
    for an aerial image of this road at its easternmost point (it is the north-south freeway running under that traffic circle). You can pan around and zoom in and out to get a feel for it. I am unaware of its history, but it appears to be tightly stuffed in there in places and follows a truly interesting routing as it dodges buildings and parkland along its way.

The Google Maps aerial image site also has what I think are absolutely amazing images of the Rio de Janeiro area. The urban morass of the inland part of that city just seems to go on forever!

By the way, welcome aboard!

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 21 Jul 2005 at 9:08 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Take a look at this site, on which the pictures are taken at road level and are said to be from 2002. You click on the dots along the map, and you see views in both directions (clockwise and counterclockwise) from that location along the road. You can follow the road as if you were driving along it. And the site shows this for lots of roads from across the whole of France.

Are you sure that le périphérique follows the city limits? It follows the old city walls but the city limits have most likely been extended since. La Défense is far outside of it and I'm more or less sure that it is part of the city of Paris, it is the last métro station on its line.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Are you sure that le périphérique follows the city limits? It follows the old city walls but the city limits have most likely been extended since. La Défense is far outside of it and I'm more or less sure that it is part of the city of Paris, it is the last métro station on its line.
    There is an area of City of Paris outside of the Peripherique that kind of resembles how O'Hare Airport relates to the rest of the City of Chicago verses the Tri-State Tollway, but the rest of the way around, the city limits and the Peripherique follow each other pretty closely.

Mike

Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Just a quick answer to say that Le Peripherique follows indeed the City of Paris limits and La Defense is not part of the city of Paris. The Old City Wall limits follow the current subway lines 6 and 2. I have not enough time for the moment to answer the thread's main question but I'll be back soon
    Don't hesitate to ask me precise questions about the Peripherique.

Registered
    Apr 2005

Thank you! :)

Anybody knows where i can find old pics and maps that shows the area before the ring road?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 05 Apr 2015, 2:07 PM
  2. Your ring tone(s)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:36 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 1:57 PM
  4. Let Freedom Ring
    Friday Afternoon Club