Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 637

Thread: Home Improvement

  1. #26
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Tex, They're called transition strips. You can get them at most home improvement stores. Sometimes also called thresholds, i think.

  2. #27
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,592
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    I do have a question... what are the strips you can put where the carpet and tile come together? And, if you have any idea, are they hard to install?
    I can't remember what they're called - but they're easy to find at Home Depot, etc. You can choose between, metal, plastic, or wood. You'll have to cut the "strip" to whatever size you need (I'm assuming this is for use in a doorway, right?). Installation is fairly easy (screw strip into floor), unless you have concrete floors...

  3. #28
    Cyburbian Habanero's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,218

    Ah HA!

    Thank you! I'm going to start another project soon.. those strips, hopefully easy, and we're putting up a moon and star border in the second bathroom.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

  4. #29
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,740
    Blog entries
    3
    The new house ... well, work is coming along. The final touch, however, will be the master suite. It's a 20' x 20' area (400 square feet, or about 50 square meters), but unfortunately it has motel-style bathroom facilities. The sinks are in the bathroom, with the toilet and shower in a separate room. I'll be knocking out walls and creating a real en-suite bathroom.

    So ... what I'm thinking about doing is following the example of the Trixie in Brooklyn who's begging for cash to pay off her credit card debt. Well, I've been maintaining Cyburbia since 1994. I don't get much from book or T-shirt sales. I'm considering a beg-a-thon! I need about $10,000 to remodel the master bedroom and bath. Help a struggling single planner/Webmaster lead the lifestyle of his married peers!

    If every planner in the United States donated 50 cents, I could have a comfortable master bedroom and master bath ... a fantastic reward for the thousands of hours I've put into Cyburbia.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  5. #30
    Cyburbian Habanero's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,218

    Dan-

    I'd give you a dollar, or buy you a beer or five in Denver-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

  6. #31
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    [rant on] Screw it. Just screw it. I know that the sinks only need washers replaced to fix the drips. But now I have blood blister on my left thumb. The set screws are stripped. I'm calling the plumber. Screw it. Just screw it. [/rant off]

    Have a nice weekend while I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot getting new faucets.
    Habitual Offender

  7. #32
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    [rant on] Screw it. Just screw it. I know that the sinks only need washers replaced to fix the drips. But now I have blood blister on my left thumb. The set screws are stripped. I'm calling the plumber. Screw it. Just screw it. [/rant off]

    Have a nice weekend while I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot getting new faucets.
    Never mind. I shifted gears. We have five bathroom faucets--two in the hall bathroom, two in the master bathroom and one in the half-bath.. Three of them leak. I can't find white finished faucets anywhere that are reasonably priced. As a result, I bought three chrome finished faucets thru the intrawebs. I can transfer the non-leaking faucet in the master to the hall bathroom and replace the half-bath and master bath faucets with the chrome units. Problem solved without the need for a plumber and less expensive.

    Damn, I'm good. Usually.
    Habitual Offender

  8. #33
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    Under the watchful tutelage of ZG who did all the measuring, a new back splash was installed in our kitchen this morning. It looks better than the old wallpaper.



    I'm no Bob Vila but I'm not that incompetent in terms of home improvements. Really.
    Habitual Offender

  9. #34
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Under the watchful tutelage of ZG who did all the measuring, a new back splash was installed in our kitchen this morning. It looks better than the old wallpaper.



    I'm no Bob Vila but I'm not that incompetent in terms of home improvements. Really.
    Wow! That looks great! I am going to have to remember that for this year when the kitchen gets a major upgrade. Much simpler than tile I assume.

  10. #35
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,721
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Under the watchful tutelage of ZG who did all the measuring, a new back splash was installed in our kitchen this morning. It looks better than the old wallpaper.
    Is that tin or just a shiny tile of some sort? Those look very similar to the tin interior roof tiles my parents have in their dining room. If tin, that seems like a pretty cool idea.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  11. #36
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,861
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Is that tin or just a shiny tile of some sort? Those look very similar to the tin interior roof tiles my parents have in their dining room. If tin, that seems like a pretty cool idea.
    It looks like tin but it's some kind of plastic. The designs are raised and it looks pretty authentic. We were looking at glass tiles at Home Depot but then saw these panels and decided they would look fine, and would be much easier to install. They come in all different patterns and finishes; the manufacturer is Fasade.

  12. #37
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Is that tin or just a shiny tile of some sort? Those look very similar to the tin interior roof tiles my parents have in their dining room. If tin, that seems like a pretty cool idea.
    It's vinyl. Here's the product.

    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...-202025353-_-N

    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Wow! That looks great! I am going to have to remember that for this year when the kitchen gets a major upgrade. Much simpler than tile I assume.
    Thanks. It was very easy to install.
    Habitual Offender

  13. #38
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    No one seems to want to accommodate me with basic domestic cleaning to facilitate the minor interior improvements I'm planning to complete tomorrow during our poor weather. They have known this for a week.
    Habitual Offender

  14. #39
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,861
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    No one seems to want to accommodate me with basic domestic cleaning to facilitate the minor interior improvements I'm planning to complete tomorrow during our poor weather. They have known this for a week.
    Oh, I thought it was your week to be the maid.

  15. #40
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065

    New faucets!!

    I installed three new faucets this morning. Completed before 10:30 am. Not bad for a weekend warrior considering my limited skills.





    Habitual Offender

  16. #41
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    23,539
    Have posted this before - but when I have visited Mom on vacation there is always a project to do.

  17. #42
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,999
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I installed three new faucets this morning. Completed before 10:30 am. Not bad for a weekend warrior considering my limited skills.





    RJ the Rogaine is for trying to grow hair on your head, not shining up the faucets!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  18. #43
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    RJ the Rogaine is for trying to grow hair on your head, not shining up the faucets!
    That is correct. It's used on the chrome on the top of my head.
    Habitual Offender

  19. #44
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,861
    RJ is planning to paint two sets of french doors, the front door, and the trim this weekend. I need to sand them all before he starts. Today I hauled out the power washer to clean them first.

    I had no idea you could get so wet using a power washer...

  20. #45
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,289
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    RJ is planning to paint two sets of french doors, the front door, and the trim this weekend. I need to sand them all before he starts. Today I hauled out the power washer to clean them first.

    I had no idea you could get so wet using a power washer...
    He'll be so disappointed when he finds out he missed the wet t-shirt.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  21. #46
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    He'll be so disappointed when he finds out he missed the wet t-shirt.
    I'm not always home when the good stuff happens.
    Habitual Offender

  22. #47
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,861
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    He'll be so disappointed when he finds out he missed the wet t-shirt.
    It was in the 50's here. It was more like the wet hair, turtleneck, and sweatshirt thingy...

  23. #48
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,289
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It was in the 50's here. It was more like the wet hair, turtleneck, and sweatshirt thingy...
    RJ has a vivid imagination, it would have been a wet t-shirt to him.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  24. #49
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,065
    I'm only partially incompetent. See, I did this this morning.

    Before:


    After:


    All the credit goes to my beloved ZG for the sanding. She's also going to paint the trim...later.

    I hate painting.
    Habitual Offender

  25. #50
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,075
    Maybe it is the age of the carpet, or maybe it is because of the puppies peeing on it, but I am thinking of replacing the carpet in my office. I like the idea of cork. Has anyone tried cork flooring? Does it hold up well? Will it get indented from the furniture?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. $400 Home Improvement Project
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 11:23 AM
  2. Street improvement district
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2008, 10:25 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 11:53 AM
  4. home improvement question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 11:32 PM
  5. Home Improvement questions...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 22 Jan 2005, 8:58 AM