Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Improvement

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Can we agree the project is exempt from environmental review?
    Fergetabboutit, use duct tape!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We're moving into a new house soon. A lot like Dan's dream home, but with no land and much more pedestrian friendly (okay, it's not that nice, but it's a great house). My 7 and 4 year old daughters are fighting over who gets their new room painted first. I came up with half a solution, whoever picks their bedroom first, the other gets the room painted first (one of the bedrooms has a built in cabinet to hide in). Now I just need to find a way to see who picks bedrooms first - rock paper scissors and flipping coins just starts more arguments.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Now I just need to find a way to see who picks bedrooms first - rock paper scissors and flipping coins just starts more arguments.
    Pay per view cagematch? help you pay your moving costs!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    We're moving into a new house soon. A lot like Dan's dream home, but with no land and much more pedestrian friendly (okay, it's not that nice, but it's a great house). My 7 and 4 year old daughters are fighting over who gets their new room painted first. I came up with half a solution, whoever picks their bedroom first, the other gets the room painted first (one of the bedrooms has a built in cabinet to hide in). Now I just need to find a way to see who picks bedrooms first - rock paper scissors and flipping coins just starts more arguments.
    who packs up their room first, picks first or any other mundane moving task....

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    who packs up their room first, picks first or any other mundane moving task....
    The children are very competitive, although the 4 year old usually loses - it's an age thing. I try to give her a head start and explain that she's younger and the older one is faster, but I can hear the "it's not fair" crying already. They both are helpful during moves though. They carry all the little things like pillows and blankets that were used to pad the furniture. I'll probably do something like that though.

Would people pay for a cage match between children? I think they might.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    we're closing on a house at the end of the month and The Girl spent the whole day yesterday laying out the furniture in her new room and picking paint colours - she getting excited now
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    we're closing on a house at the end of the month and The Girl spent the whole day yesterday laying out the furniture in her new room and picking paint colours - she getting excited now
    Mine have paint picked out, pink for one and purple and green for the other. They haven't laid out furniture yet, but they seem to change their rooms around monthly.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Pergo!

A DIY project in my upstairs. I started in my walk-in closet, thinking that the learning curve wouldn't be as noticeable in there. Almost done with the big room, and does it look nice.

Yes I will share a pic.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    sounds more fun than my bathroom project. I didn't have a choice of where to start.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The toilet paper holder in the half-bath (used exclusively by yours truly), is ready to fall from its mounting. The question I have for Cyburbia's throbbing brian: do I let it fall completely off the wall or do I proactively repair it? These types of decisions perplex me.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Go ahead and do it proactively because it will fall off at the most inappropriate time - plus you're (supposedly) a planner and tend to do most things proactively. Make sure you have a glass of wine before, during and after the tedious job.
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Stop leaning on it when you get off the crapper, old man!

Porcelain or mounted on drywall? Porcelain is probably not the area you want to mess with as a duffer. If it's drywall, then you can knock the repair out pretty easily.
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Fergetabboutit, use duct tape!
    Success!! I did it!! The toilet paper holder has been repaired! During the mid-day thunderstorm. It took one

I'm so proud of myself.

This isn't really a home improvement, rather it's a repair.

EDIT: I'm a man of many talents.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 10 Aug 2013 at 1:10 PM. Reason: talented....
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Jan 2009
    So far the moldy bathroom has fresh drywall and paint, new switches and a GFCI outlet. I have some of the tile set, but I need the rest cut and the wife and I decided to use tile for the baseboard so we had to order some more, which we needed anyway since we just didn't have enough to begin with. This bathroom will eventually be done and I can go on to painting the kids rooms as promised.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Although our house was built in 1912, it was remodeled substantially in the 1940s to accommodate a spouse that had limited mobility. What had been the kitchen became a small bedroom, a half bath was turned into a full bath, and the back porch was enclosed and enlarged to house a small, galley-style kitchen and sun room. We remodeled the kitchen some years ago, taking the wall out between the kitchen and sunroom and enlarging the kitchen.

The former kitchen, however, has always been a difficult room to use: there are three doors along the 12' wide rear wall leading to the back porch, the bathroom, and the kitchen. The opposite wall has the pass-through to the stair hall and living room. Originally, there was another door (yikes!) in the one wall without a present opening that originally led to the dining room but was closed off with the remodel. It was in this 1940s remodel, I guess, that the owners installed some sort of plaster-type finish to virtually all of the doors and ceilings throughout the house. There are random splotchy gobs of plaster mixed with these swirls for lack of better terms. My wife and I have hated them only slightly less than the thought of the tons of labor trying to be rid of the stuff would entail.

That's why I should have my head examined.

A largish chunk of the stuff came loose recently, and I dabbled at it a little bit and it came off as if it was on some type of wallpaper that had lost its adhesiveness (though there are no tell-tale wallpaper seams anywhere to be seen). Yesterday I grabbed a putty knife and started going at it and it came off real well for a little while -- about a quarter of the wall area is now free of the surface. And then it started to fight back. You knew it would, didn't you? I got out a paper scoring tool which had absolutely 0% effect. I did manage to score it a little using the corner of the putty knife, but haven't tried paper-remover on it yet to see if that helps get it off.

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. This wall will be the only one I do in any event.

Ever bite off more than you could chew? How'd that end up for you?
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Hints from Veloise

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    ... some sort of plaster-type finish to virtually all of the doors and ceilings throughout the house. ...
    A largish chunk of the stuff came loose recently, and I dabbled at it a little bit and it came off as if it was on some type of wallpaper that had lost its adhesiveness (though there are no tell-tale wallpaper seams anywhere to be seen). Yesterday I grabbed a putty knife and started going at it and it came off real well for a little while -- about a quarter of the wall area is now free of the surface. And then it started to fight back. You knew it would, didn't you? I got out a paper scoring tool which had absolutely 0% effect. I did manage to score it a little using the corner of the putty knife, but haven't tried paper-remover on it yet to see if that helps get it off.

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. This wall will be the only one I do in any event.

Ever bite off more than you could chew? How'd that end up for you?
    Spray bottle of water. Moisten the area adjacent to that which came loose easily, wait 5 minutes. Adjust amount of spray and wait time as needed.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Often the easiest solution is to rip out all of the old plaster/drywall and put up new drywall. This will also give you a chance to update anything that is in the wall, like electrical or plumbing, and you will have a better finish on the wall than you would get by patching. I did this while removing the fake brick and paneling from my kitchen and family room this summer. I was able to add an outlet, route the cable through the wall (instead of a hole in the floor drilled by the previous owner), and plug a couple holes where the mice found their way into the exterior wall. I also put in a short section of new wall where there had been a cabinet, allowing me to move the fridge to a better spot. I found a drywall guy on the Craig List who did an outstanding job for $1500, which is not bad since I have an 18' ceiling in the family room.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    We have been doing many home improvement projects and I have a long list of new improvements that I need to send to the Historic Commission in the next few months... including a new walkway using the old stone curbs that I was able to acquire from the contractors. That way the curbs will be reused on site rather than end up in a landfill or being crushed.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Help!

I pulled up the carpet pad in the kid's room. Now how do I get all the glue off the concrete? There's a lot!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    go to home depot, lowes, etc. and buy a floor scraper. Basically it's a blade with a broom handle. They also come in hand held models, but spend the money and save your back.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    go to home depot, lowes, etc. and buy a floor scraper. Basically it's a blade with a broom handle. They also come in hand held models, but spend the money and save your back.
    Good grief, there's no product that will just dissolve that stuff?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    You may need to do this:

Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Good grief, there's no product that will just dissolve that stuff?
    It's actually not hard work if you get the long handle so you don't have to bend over and it's just carpet glue.

If you stop spilling the wine or just get some more white tile you won't have this problem.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It's actually not hard work if you get the long handle so you don't have to bend over and it's just carpet glue.

If you stop spilling the wine or just get some more white tile you won't have this problem.
    I agree that this should take care of most of it. If not, the big floor sander is your best best.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Sep 1999

I would have sex with a goat before I would add more white tile to this house.

Actually, I'm sitting on my gardening knee cushion and using some wide thin scrapey thing (for drywall? ) and a chisel, and the glue's coming up pretty well.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I would have sex with a goat before I would add more white tile to this house.

Actually, I'm sitting on my gardening knee cushion and using some wide thin scrapey thing (for drywall? ) and a chisel, and the glue's coming up pretty well.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    That's one excited goat!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    POTD!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. $400 Home Improvement Project
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 11:23 AM
  2. Street improvement district
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2008, 10:25 AM
  3. Replies: 13