Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intuition or instinct

Registered
    Feb 2004

Intuition or instinct

Last night I was doing grocery shopping and at one point I rounded an aisle and found myself approaching a guy who was maybe in his mid 50's and who appeared not to be doing weekly shopping but was at the store to buy a particular item or two. Our eyes met for maybe one second but in that one second there was a mutual recognition that we despised each other's guts. All this in one second and with no apparent reason behind it either. It wasn't like he was dressed in any offensive manner or was making any gesture or action that one could take exception with. We just both somehow knew that we Loathed each other's very existence. Later, as I'm in the checkout line this same guy gets in line behind me and slams the little bar that separates customer purchases behind my order with unreasonable force. I look at him once more. Again mutual hatred. I wanted in the worst way to pistol whip that M-F*er right then and there.

Today I find myself asking the question why. Why should two people take an instant dislike to one another who have never met before, spoken a word, made no gesture or present any outward negative appearance or image or even as far as I can tell unpleasant association? the first answer that popped into my head was 'they looked at me the wrong way'. That doesn't realy explain it, though, does it?

It doens't happen often but it has on occasion occured before where I've experienced these reactions to men or women I have never met in my life and already formed a negative opinion in a nanosecond for no apparent reason.

Has anyone else experienced this or give a plausible explanation for this phenomenon?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I think that it is some subconscious testosterone rush that goes back to early hunter/ gatherer time in humanity when the cave man had to protect his territory. Let me guess... you were in the Beer aisle at Hardings?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 28 Jul 2005 at 10:56 AM.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    ...or give a plausible explanation for this phenomenon?
    Well...if you hadn't been mounting his mate in the aisle, there may have been less immediate mutual hatred.

Oh....you wanted a plausible reason....maybe your pheromones reacted badly with each other.

Edit: well is appears M'skis beat me to the primal drive joke, but I stand by my post nonetheless.
    Last edited by mendelman; 28 Jul 2005 at 11:03 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The best reason I can think of is that he reminds you of someone you have good reason to hate. People also have traits they just don't like - types of people that over time have pissed you off (aggressive jerks, etc.)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Let me guess... you were in the Beer Isle at Hardings?
    Dude, how did you know?!!!! Although I hasten to point out that while Beer Isle might be a fun place to move to the rent's kinda pricey.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Has he met Stan?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Beer Isle
    please tell me that this is just marketing schtick by Hardings.

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:

No, it's simply the limitations of spellcheck and Mskis own particular verbal impairment.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:

Yes. There is a river surrounding the beer coolers. The beer flows cold and they give free samples. But that would be a great bar idea. Have a all the Taps in the center of the room on an Island. Call it the Isle of Beer.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Maybe you were bitter enemys in a past life. I feel the same confusion when I meet someone new and it seems we have known one another for years. Maybe there is something to the past lives thing?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ok, so far we have primitive testosterone chest thumping theory, unconscious associations, and past lives. Any others? It might be interesting to hear from some dames on this. If they experience this phenomenon it would tend to rule out the cave man theory (unless of course the respondents are Dutch Womyns Rugby players...... )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I can't think of a single time that this has happened to me. It usually requires some sort of crude or otherwise disgusting behavior for me to make such a judgement.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Could be a past life sort of thing. People have been known to describe places and people without ever meeting them, and when they do meet they feel a mutual comfort, framiliarity and in your case, hatred.

The More you Know
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Yeah, that's happened to me too. Expanding on the primitive testosterone theory, I think it has something to do with men seeing each other as competitors...for jobs, women, resources of one kind or another. On top of that we live in a competitive society. Is that what those "fight clubs" are for? For men to deal with these urges? I never saw the movie. Guys go to bars, drink, lose their inhibitions, and next thing you know they're acting on those urges brought on by looking the wrong way.

You shoulda kicked that mofo's sorry ass!
    Adrift in a sea of beige

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think its a past life thing too...I can;t say it has ever happened to me...I am trying to think of a time but one doesn't come to mind

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I think its a past life thing too...I can;t say it has ever happened to me...I am trying to think of a time but one doesn't come to mind
    Same here. Must be the caveman theory

I have never experience the hatred thing - well, unless you count that I have felt someone instantly hate me, but I have never returned that feeling that I know of....but there are a few moments in my life that I can't quite recall at this time...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    par·a·noi·a
    n.

1. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.
    2. Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

(From Dictionary.com)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    par·a·noi·a
    n.

1. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.

(From Dictionary.com)

It's clear from your post that You're Out to Get Me - aren't you? Best hope we don't meet up in the grocery store (whether its in Michigan or even one on Beer Isle).
    The good news is that they have medicines to treat this sort of thing.

So far I have heard several guys say they suffer from this afflicition but no women have come forth to admit to it. Looks like the Caveman Testosterone Theory is prevailing.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    So far I have heard several guys say they suffer from this afflicition but no women have come forth to admit to it. Looks like the Caveman Testosterone Theory is prevailing.
    I want to say something here but I figure everyone will think it is nutty and I am too bleary-eyed to say it well. And that whole testosterone caveman reaction is making me nervous -- this doesn't feel like a safe place to put forth nutty ideas.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    par·a·noi·a
    n.

(From Dictionary.com)
    just remember it is not paranoia when they are out to get you, pass the tin foil please.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I want to say something here but I figure everyone will think it is nutty and I am too bleary-eyed to say it well.
    ...and this fact has served as a deterrent for you posting, you say? Huh, when did this start?

(ducks for cover)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    ...and this fact has served as a deterrent for you posting, you say? Huh, when did this start?

(ducks for cover)
    Fortunately for you, my aim is also very poor when I am bleary eyed. I'll get back to you with my nutty ideas -- I am a little busy at the moment.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In any event I am convinced this phenomenon has nothing whatsoever to do with attitudes or thinking processes. The reaction seems more visceral or emotional. And comes on far too quickly for any type of reflection or consideration. In other words this happens instantaneously.

Registered
    May 2003
    I hate you!!!!

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Instinct
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2009, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Apr 2006, 2:41 PM