Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Housing income tax credits

Registered
    Apr 2004

Housing income tax credits

I have heard of plenty of instances where tax credits are used to provide affordable housing for low-income families. Does anyone know by chance of any place in particular that used income or property tax credits alone (without redevelopment) to deconcentrate the number of poor in low-income neighborhoods and attract a higher income class? Or has this been done at all?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

tax credits

Quote Originally posted by Dacia0117
    I have heard of plenty of instances where tax credits are used to provide affordable housing for low-income families. Does anyone know by chance of any place in particular that used income or property tax credits alone (without redevelopment) to deconcentrate the number of poor in low-income neighborhoods and attract a higher income class? Or has this been done at all?
    The area I am in we looked at all the lihtc projects. The ones with other sudsidies and the few without. They have created the higher concentration of low income. Even the ones that have proceeded with all private as a match ,requiring 40% L/M occupied ,seem to be adding a much higher concentration in the area. You would almost have to do scattered sights over a wider area to have the positive effect. IF you find any let the world know.I would sure like to see the plan. The problem is the politicians seem to love the photo ops ,without any thought of real planning. This whole housing tax credit thing needs to be restructered.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would really have to stretch to think of any way the tac credits could help to attract higher income households to an area. I suppose you could redevelop a blighted spot with senior housing, but even that would not likely be enough. People will locate in the best neighborhood they can afford.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 11:25 AM
  2. AICP CM CREDITS
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Feb 2008, 5:50 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Dec 2005, 10:49 AM
  4. Replies: 10