Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Harvard Design Magazine: Spring/Summer 2005 Edition

Registered
    Aug 2001

Harvard Design Magazine: Spring/Summer 2005 Edition

The current spring/summer edition of Harvard Design Magazine has a special issue on urban planning, Urban Planning Now: What Works? What Doesn't?. Does anyone here subscribe to this periodical? I saw it on the bookshelf last week, and I contemplated buying it, but held off until I got more opinions. It looks interesting and I may subsribe to HDM so I can have this issue.

Articles in this issue include:

The Return of Urban Renewal Dan Doctoroff's Grand Plans for New York City, by Susan Fainstein

Plans for Manhattan's Far West Side A Portent of New Urban Redevelopment?, by Robert Yaro

Democracy Takes Command New Community Planning and the Challenge to Urban Design, by John Kaliski

Can Planning Be a Means to Better Architecture? Chicago's Building Boom and Design Quality, by Lynn Becker

The Ghosts in City Hall Urban Planning and the Emotions, by Margaret Crawford

An Anatomy of Civic Ambition in Vancouver Toward Humane Density, by Leonie Sandercock

Omaha by Design-All of It New Prospects in Urban Planning and Design, by Jonathan Barnett

Design by Deception The Politics of Megaproject Approval, by Bent Flyvbjerg

From New Regionalism to the Urban Network Changing the Paradigm of Growth, by Peter Calthorpe

Is Eminent Domain for Economic Development Constitutional? Empowering or Enervating Planners, by Jerold Kayden

Making Planning Matter A New Approach to Eminent Domain, by Gerald Frug and David Barron

Paved with Good Intentions Boston's Central Artery Project and a Failure of City Building, by Hubert Murray

Public Planning and Private Initiative The South Boston Waterfront, by Matthew J. Kiefer

Are America and Europe Alien Worlds for Planning?, by Peter Hall
    Many timely and salient articles. Anyone have any thoughts to share?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have not seen it but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads-up!

Registered
    May 2006

Harvard Design Mag

We get a copy in our student mailboxes. I remember reading subscription info inside; for some reason $18 a copy sticks in my head but that could be wrong. That issue was awesome but you have to be careful; I think that was the most planning heavy one you will see all year and you better like "architecture" if you get a subscription.

Kevin
    from the GSD

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 10:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Mar 2007, 9:42 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 10:02 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 05 Apr 2005, 7:00 PM