Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Drug-Use Songs

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Anti-Drug-Use Songs

For some odd reason I was thinking today about the songs that have been made that provide an anti-drug-usage message. Yes, there have been a few. As of this thread writing I can think of three (3). I'm sure there are many more.

Kicks
    This mid-1960's tune, by Paul Revere & The Raiders, is a good rocker and hits home with lyrics such as ".....you need help, girl....." and ".....better find out before it's too late....." and ".....you'll have to pay the price.....".

The Pusher
    This Steppenwolf tune was on an album they did in the late 1960's. The lyrics include the classic line, "......God da## the pusher man.....". The songs opening lines set the stage for a user admiting to use and trying to go straight....."You know I've smoked a lot of grass.....".

Later in the tune, John Kay and Steppenwolf sing of ".....seeing a lot of people walkin' around with tombstones in their eyes....".

I have this album on vinyl. I'm gonna have to pull it out and give it another listen.

Monkey On My Back
    Does any child of the 80's recall this tune, by Aldo Nova? I have the cassette somewhere but I can't recall the exact lyrics. I know that it was a song that slammed heroin users. Good rocker.
    _____

Any other tunes out there that promote a drug-free life or come out strongly against drug usage?

What say you?

Bear Waving His Hands So You Can't See The Doobie Brother's Albums

Registered
    Sep 2001
    "Pusherman" was written by Hoyt Axton, who also wrote another song "Snow Blind Friend" about the perils of coke.

My list of anti-drug songs includes:

Surfin' on Heroin by Forgotten Rebels
    Heroin by Velvet UndergroundU ( I know alot of people think it glorifies drug use, but if you listen to the desparation in it, you'll get another more graphic image of addiction)
    Sister Ray by VU (comments as above)

Now I wanna sniff some glue and Carbonna not glue by the Ramones. Once again, people think these songs glorify huffing, but the desparation is there. It is even clearer when you know about Dee Dee's heroin addiction.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think the song is called "ooh, that smell" and describes some unbathed dopehead.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Monkey On My Back
    Does any child of the 80's recall this tune, by Aldo Nova? I have the cassette somewhere but I can't recall the exact lyrics. I know that it was a song that slammed heroin users. Good rocker.
    That was Aerosmith, America's greatest rock band. It was released in 1989 on the Pump album. Steven Tyler wrote it about 3 years after overcoming drug addiction. He's been drug-free as long as I've been alive and still going strong. This song is great. I think I'm gonna play it right now. "Got to get that f'n monkey off my back..."

Also, let's not forget Mr. Brownstone by Guns N' Roses.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    i realize this is a bit unrelated, but since the song was mentioned...
    for years i have been dreaming of doing "mr. brownstone" for karaoke and the dj NEVER has it. it's such a disappointment.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Fugazi: Glue Man - "I spent it all. On the bag. On the drag."
    Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb - "Just a little pin prink; they'll be no more aaahhhh!, but you may feel a little sick"
    U2: Bad - "If I could, I would, throw this lifeless lifeline to the wind"
    Alice In Chains: God Smack - "What in god's name have done? Stick your arm for some real fun"
    Red Hot Chili Peppers: Under The Bridge - "Under the bridge downtown is where I drew some blood; I could not get enough; Forgot about my love; I gave my life away"

There are countless others.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RadioAgony
    i realize this is a bit unrelated, but since the song was mentioned...
    for years i have been dreaming of doing "mr. brownstone" for karaoke and the dj NEVER has it. it's such a disappointment.
    He doesn't have Appetite for Destruction?!? I would bring it and have him play it if I were you.
    -Steven Tyler

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    That was Aerosmith, America's greatest rock band. It was released in 1989 on the Pump album. Steven Tyler wrote it about 3 years after overcoming drug addiction. He's been drug-free as long as I've been alive and still going strong. This song is great. I think I'm gonna play it right now. "Got to get that f'n monkey off my back..."

Also, let's not forget Mr. Brownstone by Guns N' Roses.
    Bear is Right. Aldo Nova did release a song called Monkey on My Back in 1983. Aerosmith's song is different.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...a+lyrics&hl=en

And sorry, but I have to disagree with you on your assessment of Aerosmith. Ever since they started targetting teenage girls as their core market, their songs have been crap. Every single song sounds the same. They are truly the biggest sellout band on the face of the earth.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Bear is Right. Aldo Nova did release a song called Monkey on My Back in 1983. Aerosmith's song is different.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...a+lyrics&hl=en

And sorry, but I have to disagree with you on your assessment of Aerosmith. Ever since they started targetting teenage girls as their core market, their songs have been crap. Every single song sounds the same. They are truly the biggest sellout band on the face of the earth.
    Boo.

Aerosmith is the greatest American rock band ever. There's no denying it. There's nobody better.

They are a legend and every album is a hit. The only place I see them lacking has been in recent years. "Jaded" is the only thing I really have a problem with. But in the 70s, late 80s, and early 90s, they were the best rocking band in the world.

Also, what band can you name that has been performing with the same 5 guys after 30 years? And what other 57 year old man attracts teenage girls and does back-flips onstage?
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Prince Pop Life (a song from the mid-1980s about the shallowness of shallow attention-getter type people) includes the lines:
    "Whatcha puttin' in your nose?/Is that where all your money goes?".

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Prince Pop Life (a song from the mid-1980s about the shallowness of shallow attention-getter type people) includes the lines:
    "Whatcha puttin' in your nose?/Is that where all your money goes?".

Mike
    Speaking of Prince, in the song "Sign O' the Times", he says "last September, my 17 year old cousin tried reefer for the very first time, now he's doing horse, it's June." I believe "horse" is slang for heroin.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Molly (Sixteen Candles) Sponge. Listening to it now.
    Habitual Offender

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Ringo Starr "No No Song" (I think that's the name of it)
    "no no no no I don't smoke that no more....then it makes it hard to find the door"

Registered
    Mar 2005

I was gonna go to class before I got high
    I coulda cheated and I coulda passed but I got high
    I am taking it next semester and I know why
    - cause I got high [repeat 3X]

I was gonna go to work but then I got high
    I just got a new promotion but I got high
    now I'm selling dope and I know why

I was gonna go to court before I got high
    I was gonna pay my child support but then I got high
    they took my whole paycheck and I know why

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I think the song is called "ooh, that smell" and describes some unbathed dopehead.
    That song was done by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Snow Blind by Styx from Paradise Theater
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Aerosmith is the greatest American rock band ever. There's no denying it. There's nobody better.

QUOTE]

How about VH? Aerosmith didn't put out anything good until they cleaned up their act in the 90's.

My vote is for BEAT IT by Michael J. I think he was referring to drugs....it WAS the 80's

Registered
    Dec 1998
    "Angel Dust" - Gil Scott Heron
    "White Lines" Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five
    "White Horse" - forgot the name of the group, but old school hip hop fans will know
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 album! Oh wait.. you said anti drug use... my bad...

Although the endless guitar solos with samples of a recording of an LSD experiment gets a bit tiring...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr

QUOTE]

How about VH? Aerosmith didn't put out anything good until they cleaned up their act in the 90's.

My vote is for BEAT IT by Michael J. I think he was referring to drugs....it WAS the 80's
    Yes, Van Halen is great...I love them too.

Aerosmith is just a tad better, a tad more definitive, a tad more influential, and a tad more innovative.

And Aerosmith actually cleaned up their act in 1987. Permanent Vacation, Pump, and Get a Grip sold a combined 20 million copies in the USA alone. Please come up with a band that had that much success after being dormant for 8 years.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Nobody's mentioned the song that none other than Johnny Cash called the best anti-drug song ever, a song he like so much he recorded his own version. I am referring, of course, to Nine Inch Nails "Hurt"
    "The needle tears a hole, the old familiar face"

Then there is Social Distortion's "Drug Train"

I wish Aerosmith would retire already. They stopped making original music decades ago. If selling lots of albums means greatness, then Twinkies must be great food. How can it be bad if so many people like them?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr

QUOTE]

"Beat It" doesn't refer to kicking a drug habit, although that interpretation might be useful to inspire an addict to "beat" their habit.

..."You better run, you better do what you can
    Don't wanna see no blood, don't be a macho man
    You wanna be tough, better do what you can
    So beat, but you wanna be bad

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
    No one wants to be defeated
    Showin' how funky and strong is your fight
    It doesn't matter whose wrong or right

Just beat it"...

This is an agressive song about avoiding agression. Machismo be damned.

I'm with you on VH. Eddie Van Halen's "Beat It" guitar solo played a not insignificant part in helping Michael Jackson's Thriller album to shatter sales records. Now Michael is tarnished by the accusations of his trying to "Beat It" with little boys, and Eddie - despite "beating" cancer and a successful tour last year seems to be headed back toward alcoholism and being overly picky about choice of lead singer. Maybe Ed should try recruiting Michael to sing with Van Halen. They both could use each other.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    "White Lines" Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five
    Awesome example (and great song too). This is one of those 'sticky' songs for me. I'll probably be humming it for days now.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Nobody's mentioned the song that none other than Johnny Cash called the best anti-drug song ever, a song he like so much he recorded his own version. I am referring, of course, to Nine Inch Nails "Hurt"
    "The needle tears a hole, the old familiar face"

Then there is Social Distortion's "Drug Train"

I wish Aerosmith would retire already. They stopped making original music decades ago. If selling lots of albums means greatness, then Twinkies must be great food. How can it be bad if so many people like them?
    I think you should retire.

As long as every Aerosmith record continues to go gold or platinum and the concert tickets get sold, Aerosmith will still be around. Sorry.

Also, as far as the Twinkie analogy...So many people eat Twinkies because they taste good, and so many people like Aerosmith because they look and sound good.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Ramones & Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers Chinese Rocks

Rolling Stones Sister Moriphine

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Casey Jones - Grateful Dead

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
    Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

This old engine makes it on time,
    Leaves Central Station 'bout a quarter to nine,
    Hits River Junction at seventeen to,
    At a quarter to ten you know it's travlin' again.

Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.

Trouble ahead, Lady in red,
    Take my advice you'd be better off dead.
    Switchman's sleeping, train hundred and two is
    On the wrong track and headed for you.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but you still don't see.
    Come round the bend, you know it's the end,
    The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Dec 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. Replies: 65
    Last post: 28 Jul 2012, 10:04 PM
  3. Good Anti-Sprawl songs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 10 Jan 2005, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 6