Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hooked on Rubiks Cube 20 years past its debut

Registered
    Oct 2001

Hooked on Rubiks Cube 20 years past its debut

I have to admit I couldn't afford a Rubiks Cube when they first came out. I was poor and in college. I spent about 30 minutes in the 80's playing with one owned by someone else. But I never got the grove of the thing.

Flash forward 20 years later and I was over at my sister's house and picked up her's. I was like a cat with a mouse in a glass ball. Hooked was not the word. I went out and bought one that day. I'm not normally an impulse shopper. So it is 20 years after the fact and I'm just now getting the vibe.

It took me about 25 hours of screwing around with it to solve it. Now I can do it in about 40 minutes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    It took me about 25 hours of screwing around with it to solve it. Now I can do it in about 40 minutes.
    I found one at my grandparents a while back. Haven't picked one up since the 1980's. I solved it like I never put it down. Now my nieces and nephew think I'm a genius.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Got one for x-mas when it came out. Hated it. Could not do it (maybe I am dumb). Pulled the stickers off and put them back in order. Threw the thing in the closet and told it to go f$%^ itself.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Got one for x-mas when it came out. Hated it. Could not do it (maybe I am dumb). Pulled the stickers off and put them back in order. Threw the thing in the closet and told it to go f$%^ itself.
    That was the hard way of cheating. The easier way is to just take the darn thing apart. If you turn one of the sides an eighth of a full rotation, you can pop out one of the corner pieces. After that the other pieces are pretty easy to pop out and you are left with a framework holding together the center pieces. It goes back together pretty easily.

Now if you want to be really evil... pop out a corner piece and put it back in where the colors are no longer on the same corner. It makes the cube impossible to solve and will drive some people insane trying to do it.

I do remember during the craze there were a couple of products to help you solve it without using many brain cells. There were replacement stickers you could put on since it is usually obvious if you remove the existing ones and put them back. There was also one called the "Boob cube" that was the same color on all sides. So no matter what you did with it, it was always solved. The funniest thing about the boob cube was that the description for it in the Sears catalog said it was the same color on all FOUR sides. Hmmm... so we know which copywriter at Sears needed more than the boob cube to look smart.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I liked the one that they did that looked like a chain... I had an easier time with that one.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I liked the one that they did that looked like a chain... I had an easier time with that one.
    The Missing Link!! I still have that toy! I was the quickest one in 4th grade to solve it! I was a master!! Nice memories, thanks Nerudite!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I still have mine from the '80's around here somewhere. I never could solve it. My kid has tried a few times but doesn't have any patience.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    We were just talking about Rubik's cube over the weekend. A big craze here, followed by Rubik's Revenge which was a 4 x 4 x 4 cube, and also Rubik's Challenge, which was a flat one with little plastic wires in it. I seem to remember it having the Olympic Rings on one side.

Whatever happened to Mr Rubik? I seem to recall him being Hungarian, although this may be complete rubbish.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    Whatever happened to Mr Rubik? I seem to recall him being Hungarian, although this may be complete rubbish.
    Rubik is Hungarian. He is currently hanging out with me, eating sauerkraut soup and drinking Bull's Blood wine. We are trying to devise new ways of making the rest of the world crazy once again!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    In the early 80's my brother could do it in a minute. He had a manual and learned it in a couple days.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    A big craze here, followed by Rubik's Revenge which was a 4 x 4 x 4 cube, and also Rubik's Challenge, which was a flat one with little plastic wires in it. I seem to remember it having the Olympic Rings on one side.
    I had both of those toys, too! Rubiks Revenge was very tough!! I took it apart and never got it back together. Piece of junk!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I also had Revenge. Couldn't do jack with it.

My brother had a Cube, but never really tried to solve it because of his short attention span at the time.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I can handle ol' Rubik in about 5 minutes now. I haven't tried the other variants though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I could never solve that thing....then again I dont have the patience for those sorts of things...I had one and played with it alot but I usually took it apart and put it back together

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Apr 2010, 8:35 AM
  2. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 5:06 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last post: 22 May 2007, 12:47 PM
  4. Advertisements From Years Past
    Friday Afternoon Club