Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Business incubation

Registered
    Mar 2005

Business incubation

i am a senior majoring in urban and regional planning and the director of an ambitious and unique economic development organization on campus dedicated to the slowing of the 'brain drain' out of upstate New York. I have a strong interest in business incubation and how they serve as a base for entrepreneurs and economic development. I have done a lot of research on business incubators - does anyone know of any private incubators? any links would be appreciated. I would love to see how the results of private incubators compare with public incubators.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    not sure how much this will help, but this is the website for the Research Park at the University of Illinois

http://www.tech.com/

the research park is a public/private venture, the developer constructs the buildings, but the tenants are allowed to utilize University resources.

If you dig around that site, there IS, however, quite a bit of information on how the incubator (called EnterpriseWorks) opperates, it may be useful.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Informal business incubation is not well documented, but anecdotally at least, is very common. Sometimes it is merely the serendipity of a location. A characteristic of older downtown buildings that is often unseen is their role in incubation, as their low rents are attractive to start-up businesses and their location is in close proximity to the services they need, leading to increased networking. At other times a property owner will lease space at a low rate in order to help a business get established. A large number of new companies are often spin-offs from existing businesses, and very often, there is a relationship between the fledgeling and the parent that helps to incubate the new business. Add these and other possibilities together, and I am sure that they represent far more businesses than those coming out of conventional incubators.

Is yours going to be an on-site or a virtual incubator? It may be too late to offer some advice, but a some points to consider:
    1) Most innovation comes from research conducted by businesses, not universities or federal labs.
    2) Educators and technocrats want to be located on campus. Businesses tend to prefer a location off campus. If you want to be better received by the community and your clients, locate the incubator in a business district. This is true for educational programs and services (such as the SBA) as well.
    3) Be focused but also cast a wide net. You do not need to concentrate on an industry. You could just as easily build an incubator around a resource or process that might apply to many industries.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    We have one in Greenville that actually runs three sites. One is an older downtown building, the other two are higher quality suburban buildings. They both cater to startup businesses that don't have the ability to afford a full support staff. They're doing well.

www.theofficesite.net
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that there are many Universities that act as business incubators. Western Michigan University has a joint venture with a restaurant company in Kalamazoo. The company owns The Union Cabaret and Grill, but the Business and Hospitality management at the university runs the business, and the music department is responsible for the entertainment.

It is a phenomenal place and has been around for a few years and is packed on most weekends.

Click Here for more info. I guess Kalamazoo does have it all!

Also, I think that the National Business Incubation Association might have some good information too.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Piascik & Associates PC, Richmond, has launched a new program to help companies establish business operations in Virginia. The Piascik Passport program offers assistance in obtaining business licenses, tax ID numbers and legal help, as well as access to incubator-type office space in the firm's new headquarters. The firm will also help the families of company employees with personal issues such as finding temporary housing, school enrollment and cultural assimilation. The firm's new offices are located at the Innsbrook Corporate Center, 4470 Cox Road, Suite 250, in Glen Allen. This is a private, for-profit accounting company that offers icubator services to its clients.

Richmond also has a nonprofit creativity incubator. I think the website is threec.com

It's: Creative Change CenteróC3
    Richmond has other incubators as well; they are publically funded.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Going in to business for yourself
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 2:33 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Oct 2008, 3:32 PM
  3. New business permits
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 May 2006, 12:34 PM