Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Building a desktop computer (AIB recommendations for…)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Building a desktop computer (AIB recommendations for…)

I am thinking about building a desktop computer. I have helped friends build them in the past and found it to be not too difficult, but being that I am all that up on latest technology I am wondering what you would recommend.

I would not be using it for gaming, but I want something that can burn DVDís, be part of a larger network for data sharing, and GIS programs. I also would like to put a good sound card into it so I can connect it to my home theater system and play music from the internet. I would also want to include an SD card slot, and a few USB ports on the front for flash memory, and a few USB ports in the back for the wires for I pod, cell phone, PDA, and Digital Camera Cradles.

Out side hardware would include:

17 inch flat screen monitor
    Photo quality printer
    Wireless keyboard and mouse

What specific hardware would you recommend. I would like to stay around or less than $600 plus the cost of the monitor and accessories.

(so this is were they go to kill a thread)
    Last edited by michaelskis; 13 Jul 2005 at 4:33 PM.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am thinking about building a desktop computer. I have helped friends build them in the past and found it to be not too difficult, but being that I am all that up on latest technology I am wondering what you would recommend.

I would not be using it for gaming, but I want something that can burn DVDís, be part of a larger network for data sharing, and GIS programs. I also would like to put a good sound card into it so I can connect it to my home theater system and play music from the internet. I would also want to include an SD card slot, and a few USB ports on the front for flash memory, and a few USB ports in the back for the wires for I pod, cell phone, PDA, and Digital Camera Cradles.

Out side hardware would include:

17 inch flat screen monitor
    Photo quality printer
    Wireless keyboard and mouse

What specific hardware would you recommend. I would like to stay around or less than $600 plus the cost of the monitor and accessories.

(so this is were they go to kill a thread)

hey take a look at this website for info on building a machine and as far as parts go to egghead.com in addition as mention on a previous thread fatwallet.com is a good source for finding some good deals on a monitor, memory, and harddrives.

good luck

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Google Desktop 2, deja vous.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Aug 2005, 8:07 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jul 2005, 8:38 AM
  3. I am now a hypocrite…
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14