Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Overheard #1 - A Compendium of the Best Dumb Things Said by NIMBYs

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,958

    Overheard #1 - A Compendium of the Best Dumb Things Said by NIMBYs

    Helping out at a meeting last night for an apartment proposal next to a university and a rural residential area, I heard this comment from a neighbor who happens to work at the university:

    We don't want a student ghetto in our front yards and back yards!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    stoopid

    I had an attorney whose house overlooked an old estate that was about to be developed say that he likes to drink his coffee on his deck in the morning NAKED. And if the land is developed he won't be able to do so.
    WALSTIB

  3. #3
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    6,087
    Sometimes neighbors don't check their own zoning before complaining. This one guy was complaining loudly that he did not want a heavy commercial big box store next door to his small ranch (eight acres). As usual, I asked for his address so I could mark it on the map (which happens to have the zoning on it). I then turned my microphone on and asked if the man was aware that his property was already zoned for what the big box was asking for and that he was just a nonconforming use. He looked stunned and sat back down. The next day I received a request for a zoning verification letter and that afternoon there was a real estate sign on the property. He now lives out in the middle of nowhere on about 100 acres in a nicer house after what his property sold for!

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Some old lady at a "smart growth" workshop complained that all the poor young gals having 6 kids should be given tubal ligations -- that they are the cause of excess population. I am so glad the person running the workshop found a polite way to inform her that the real problem was people living longer. That was so much nicer than my thought that perhaps she could volunteer to die since old folks are the cause of the problem, not babies.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184
    I was at a City Council meeting helping a friend whose firm was developing a mixed density housing project, when one of the people from the audience said the following:

    "Our community has values. These types of developments bring in nothing but riff raff, drug dealers, criminals, sex offenders, and single moms"

    Fortunately, one of the City Council members was a single mom with three young kids. The speaker got a lashing from her. the interesting thing was, the project was pretty controversial and there was a lot of animosity towards the developers until the lady said that. I was fully expecting the project tobe denied, but it got approved unanimously.

  6. #6

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Some old lady at a "smart growth" workshop complained that all the poor young gals having 6 kids should be given tubal ligations -- that they are the cause of excess population. I am so glad the person running the workshop found a polite way to inform her that the real problem was people living longer. That was so much nicer than my thought that perhaps she could volunteer to die since old folks are the cause of the problem, not babies.
    Wow. That's pretty bold.

  7. #7
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    I was at a City Council meeting helping a friend whose firm was developing a mixed density housing project, when one of the people from the audience said the following:

    "Our community has values. These types of developments bring in nothing but riff raff, drug dealers, criminals, sex offenders, and single moms"

    Fortunately, one of the City Council members was a single mom with three young kids. The speaker got a lashing from her. the interesting thing was, the project was pretty controversial and there was a lot of animosity towards the developers until the lady said that. I was fully expecting the project tobe denied, but it got approved unanimously.
    I get that all the time too..one of our councilmen is ademant about prohibiting a home for unwed mothers.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    I went to a public hearing before the Planning Commission of the City that El Guapo lives in and heard a neighbor of a potential 12 maximum children home day care say --- and I quote.

    "The children at the day care will make too much noise and disrupt my kids when we are playing in our back yard."

    My internal retort to this NIMBY's ridiculous comment was --- Arsehoe, I hope all of your neighbors plant tether ball poles and basketball hops -- then you'll see what attracting hordes of kids is all about.... Better yet, I hope a neighbor has a daily 30 kid water balloon fight and doesn't ever invite you and yours.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Wow. That's pretty bold.
    I didn't SAY it.

    I just think (GODWIN'S LAW) "Hey, didn't Hitler do stuff like that??" She had her children. And grandchildren, I bet. She was like 70 or whatever. And she was talking about "those folks (Hispanics) who are so poor and having 6 kids", yadda yadda. Ms. Compassion and all that. She is obviously ingnorant of the fact that people living longer is "the cause" of overpopulation and that birth rates have actually dropped world-wide. If she is so concerned about overpopulation and wants to get to the root of the problem, feel free to check out now, you controlling old bitty. If I want to have another baby, butt out **&*^%&! You got yours. (I think she said she had 4 kids.)

  10. #10

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I didn't SAY it.

    I just think (GODWIN'S LAW) "Hey, didn't Hitler do stuff like that??" She had her children. And grandchildren, I bet. She was like 70 or whatever. And she was talking about "those folks (Hispanics) who are so poor and having 6 kids", yadda yadda. Ms. Compassion and all that. She is obviously ingnorant of the fact that people living longer is "the cause" of overpopulation and that birth rates have actually dropped world-wide. If she is so concerned about overpopulation and wants to get to the root of the problem, feel free to check out now, you controlling old bitty. If I want to have another baby, butt out **&*^%&! You got yours. (I think she said she had 4 kids.)
    Well, from a resource depletion standpoint, four American children is probably equal to what, 100 Africans? So, who is really impacting the world more? She should use a little logic in her thinking before opening her mouth

  11. #11
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    10,235
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    She should use a little logic in her thinking before opening her mouth
    That's probably the least of her concerns.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Well, from a resource depletion standpoint, four American children is probably equal to what, 100 Africans? So, who is really impacting the world more? She should use a little logic in her thinking before opening her mouth
    Actually, the last time I did the research (about 5 years ago?), ONE American child uses up the same resources as 100 to 200 Indian children. However, I doubt that can be said of the children she was specifically concerned about: the children of migrant farm-workers. I doubt they have such lavish lives.

    And I used that data to argue that we should let American women under age 25 get a tubal ligation if they want one. Unwanted American children are a huge drain of resources and I think do a lot of damage to this world. I wrote a paper about that: denying American women under age 25 access to tubal ligations is not environmentally sound policy.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Big Owl's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near the edge
    Posts
    1,657
    you know it going to be good when it starts "I am not racist but..." and it is going to be very good when it starts "I am the Pastor of the _____ Church and I am not racist but..." Nothing good ever follows that opening line.

  14. #14
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184

    Total Thread hijack

    HIJACK!
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Actually, the last time I did the research (about 5 years ago?), ONE American child uses up the same resources as 100 to 200 Indian children. However, I doubt that can be said of the children she was specifically concerned about: the children of migrant farm-workers. I doubt they have such lavish lives.

    And I used that data to argue that we should let American women under age 25 get a tubal ligation if they want one. Unwanted American children are a huge drain of resources and I think do a lot of damage to this world. I wrote a paper about that: denying American women under age 25 access to tubal ligations is not environmentally sound policy.
    Are unwanted american children a larger drain of resources than wanted american children? Based on your logic above, the more lavish the lifestyle, the larger the drain. Wouldn't that mean that the level of lavishness determines the size of the drain, not the wanted/unwanted status of the American child?

    Hijack over

  15. #15

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    HIJACK!


    Are unwanted american children a larger drain of resources than wanted american children? Based on your logic above, the more lavish the lifestyle, the larger the drain. Wouldn't that mean that the level of lavishness determines the size of the drain, not the wanted/unwanted status of the American child?

    Hijack over
    We should all just kill ourselves now. We are ALL a large drain of resources.

    Hijack over and out!

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    HIJACK!


    Are unwanted american children a larger drain of resources than wanted american children? Based on your logic above, the more lavish the lifestyle, the larger the drain. Wouldn't that mean that the level of lavishness determines the size of the drain, not the wanted/unwanted status of the American child?

    Hijack over
    Sigh. No, unwanted children are not a larger drain. But the law that denies women under age 25 access to tubal ligations was written with the idea that it is protecting young women from making a foolish and irreversible mistake they will regret. I am sorry but having yet another baby out of wedlock that they do not want because some upper-middle-class lawmaker thinks he (or she) knows what is best for them amounts to forcing an unwanted irreversible mistake upon them. I have a sister-in-law who had a third child she did not want because of this law. A lot of women who would like to have a tubal ligation under the age of 25 already have one or more children. Having yet more will drain their resources for many years, making it that much harder to climb out of poverty, etc. It is wrong on so many levels to deny these young women a real CHOICE in the matter. It is a well proven fact that if you give women control over their own reproduction, they choose to have fewer kids on average. If women are well-educated, have reproductive rights (rather than her husband and other male relatives owning her reproductive rights), ...and I can't remember the other factors (I think there are two others)...birth rates fall dramatically. If you want to address overpopulation, the first thing you have to do is give reproductive rights to women as individuals. The lawmakers in Washington should butt out and let women under 25 decide for themselves. And because they are American, the harm we do to these young women (and their children and extended family) has a more substantial impact on the global environment than it would if they were living in some third world country. So we are not only harming these young women and their children, we are really doing a disservice to the world with our controlling legal crap where rich educated people think they know what is best for you, never mind that they have never even met you.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,856
    I have two that still amaze me:

    One, several hundred households in an affluent neighborhood signing a petition against a Jewish retirement center that wasn't even accessed via their neighborhood; it was just nearby; but, they weren't "prejudiced".

    Two, residents of 1/2 million dollar homes (and this was a number of years ago), protesting against $300,000 homes next door, which would "lower their property values". They acted like the rezone was for tenement housing.

  18. #18
    Cyburbian jenniplans's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Here, there, everywhere
    Posts
    274
    Slightly off topic...

    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    But the law that denies women under age 25 access to tubal ligations was written with the idea that it is protecting young women from making a foolish and irreversible mistake they will regret.
    Is this really a law? If so, what the heck!. We can smoke and vote at 18 and drink at 21, but we (women) aren't smart enough to manipulate our reproductive health until after 25? I'm sorry, but I've NEVER wanted kids and knew it at 12. I'm a big girl and can handle the consequences of my decisions...

    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    The lawmakers in Washington should butt out and let women under 25 decide for themselves.
    Amen sister! And I swear if they even try to repeal Roe vs Wade...

    Sorry, this is a very touchy issue for me and I'm not quiet when it comes to my opinion on it.

  19. #19
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,077
    The idiots in the $400,000 homes protesting the proposed $300,000 development's stormwater detention pond as being a harbor for the West Nile Virus. No mention of their own SDP killing people though...

    Oh, and when the woman went on a huge rant about the fact that if her street was extended into the new subdivision she wanted the name to change at the point where it entered the new subdivision because her street name was a premium name and she just couldn't fathom how people, who's homes were worth $100,000 less than hers, could justify having an "upscale" street address.

    Both of these were in the same case. Both were said by God-fearing Christian small business owners. Why do I mention that? Well, because they mentioned it.

    I was ashamed to be a Conservative that night. It was like I had Al Franken glasses on. Everywhere I looked in the audience, I saw life's winners and they were ****s all the way down to their core.

    I went home and read the Gita. Omm.....
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    Slightly off topic...


    Is this really a law? If so, what the heck!. We can smoke and vote at 18 and drink at 21, but we (women) aren't smart enough to manipulate our reproductive health until after 25? I'm sorry, but I've NEVER wanted kids and knew it at 12. I'm a big girl and can handle the consequences of my decisions...


    Amen sister! And I swear if they even try to repeal Roe vs Wade...

    Sorry, this is a very touchy issue for me and I'm not quiet when it comes to my opinion on it.
    When I wrote the paper (again: about 5 years ago) it was a law. I have personally known 3 women affected by it: 1) The sister-in-law who had a third child she did not desire 2) my other sister-in-law who is 4' 11" tall, had major back surgery when she was 16 and is essentially a cripple when she is pregnant -- she only has two kids because a doctor felt it was medically necessary for her to get a tubal ligation before age 25 and 3) a woman who had to go through the bureaucratic paperwork to get a tubal ligation before age 25 due to her life-threatening heart condition. She had one child -- at great risk to herself (I don't recall if she found out during her pregnancy or just what about the heart condition) -- and wanted to live long enough to raise that child, not risk her life with another pregnancy.

    I think men can get theirs snipped at age 18. But women have to have compelling medical reasons, signed off by a doctor, to get "fixed" prior to age 25 -- no matter how many kids they may have.

  21. #21

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

    I was ashamed to be a Conservative that night. It was like I had Al Franken glasses on. Everywhere I looked in the audience, I saw life's winners and they were ****s all the way down to their core.

    I went home and read the Gita. Omm.....
    Don't feel bad, EG. In San Francisco, it is somehow "progressive" to oppose your neighbor adding a granny flat to his single family home.

  22. #22
    The opponent steps to the microphone and makes a very reasonable argument against a proposed affordable housing subdivision. He saves the best for last, announcing that the location -- astride an interstate highway -- places the housing perilously close to the planned route for nuclear waste en route to Yucca Mountain. Accidents happen, he intones, and wouldn't the plan commission be horrified if a tractor trailer hauling such waste crashed and exploded right there and all those people in those affordable homes were vaporized?
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    nimbys

    I am really irritated when NIMBYs become re-born environmentalists whining about the impact on wetlands and their wells. And, what is worse is when one of the professional planner whores in the area add their "professional" opinion.
    WALSTIB

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Seabishop's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,833
    The property values arguments never cease. It doesn't matter that around here property values have skyrocketed over the past 5 years. The guy who bought his house for $100,000 in 1980 and now sits on $500,000 real estate will still complain about property values if someone builds another house within a half mile of him.

    People think it is their responsibility as a good citizen to oppose any development proposal from WalMart down to a single family house.

    I always wonder about the interpersonal relations that goes into some of these protests. Its one thing to protest a big retailer, but who is #sshole enough to protest their neighbor's modest expansion or granny flat? When the duplex you've been fighting for 4 years finally gets built do you suck it up and play nice or do you give your new neighbors the evil eye for the next 20 years?

  25. #25

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    ... And, what is worse is when one of the professional planner whores in the area add their "professional" opinion.
    Off-topic:
    Or when the environmental planning firm who did your Environmental Impact Report for your General Plan allows itself to be hired by some landowners to help the latter avoid one of the environmental mitigation measures that firm itself had proposed

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Overheard (AIB overheard in Ithaca)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 2:02 PM
  2. Overheard in your town
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Feb 2011, 10:33 AM
  3. Overheard by Cyburbia
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Aug 2006, 1:35 PM
  4. Overheard at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Mar 2006, 3:21 PM
  5. Terrorism NIMBYs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Jan 2004, 4:07 PM