Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Floodplain Planning

Floodplain Planning

I am looking for materials that are durable enough to use to construct bridges, trails, and boardwalks in a fairly active river floodplain. I am also looking for information and manufacturers on an 'incline tramway' as a way to get handicapped people down the river bluff to the trails in the floodplain. The bluff is at a slope greater the 45 degrees, and I feel that is the only way to get those folks down there without seriously impacting the natural areas and exacerbating the erosion problems on the bluff.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If the area is so prone to flooding; if the bluff is so steep; if the natural areas are being impacted; I have to ask: what the intent is in getting people there in the first place? I'm not putting down the idea, I just wonder what the goal is, and if there might be another way to achieve it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Floodplain Planning

The goal is to make the area an interpretive area for landscape restoration and planning for the general public. The New Mississippi Museum of Natural Sciences is located on this site. This makes for the perfect combination of the actual natural area as an exhibit to help complement the museum's dioramas. Do you know of any materials and manufacturers of trails and the 'incline tramway' I asked about in my original question? Please feel free to respond.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This sounds like a great concept. I'm not sure if they do trams - I would suspect so - but how about the Otis Elevator Company? They might be able to suggest other ideas as well.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 5:11 PM
  2. Floodplain development
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 9:27 PM
  3. floodplain determinations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 16