Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wannabe planner

Registered
    Feb 2005

Wannabe planner

any input on UIC (university of illinois chicago)? my undergrad and career are in business, but i'm really looking to get into planning. specifically, i'm looking for info about a masters there with a focus on transportation or design.

would also be interested to see what the collective experiences are with regard to how to pay for grad school. any help or advice would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Quote Originally posted by murdoctm
    any input on UIC (university of illinois chicago)? my undergrad and career are in business, but i'm really looking to get into planning. specifically, i'm looking for info about a masters there with a focus on transportation or design.

would also be interested to see what the collective experiences are with regard to how to pay for grad school. any help or advice would be much appreciated!

thanks!
    I applied to UIC last year. It looked great on paper, but when I went to visit, I was not impressed with their facilities. They didn't really seem to have a center for planning students--as I recall (and I may be wrong), it is kind of just thrown in their with other programs. The faculty were nice to me, but the couple of students I talked to seemed less than thrilled with their experience. Still, I'm sure it's a decent program, especially if you are determined to stay in Chicago. (Is it the only planning program in Chicago? I think it very well might be). Anyway, I applied because of the location (and was accepted), but decided it was not worth it after visiting. Also, their degree is actually called "Urban Planning and Policy," so it may be more policy-oriented than design-oriented, I can't really remember.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had positive experiences with UIC, though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I visited and applied at UIC. I liked the program- from what I could see of it- and was attracted by its policy orientation. My visit went well: I didn't get into detail about the facilities and resources, but the policy program seemed very strong. The stature of their Great Cities Institute gives the program some good exposure and provides some great research opportunities for those looking for assistantships in urban affairs.

Since my interests cross into regional and even rural planning and development, UIC's certain and specific focus on urban issues wasn't an ideal fit. I decided on the Humphrey Institute at Minnesota and am looking forward to starting there next month.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Aug 2009, 7:05 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Oct 2008, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2006, 6:39 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Sep 2005, 4:32 PM
  5. Olmsted Wannabe
    Design, Space, and Place