Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: State planning versus local/regional planning

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005

State planning versus local/regional planning

Has anyone experienced the transition from State planning to local planning? If so, information on some similarities and differences would be appreciated. The reason I ask is due to a consideration to relocate back to IL so my wife can be closer to her family while advancing her career. A lot of states, including IL, have yet to or probably won't establish a top down approach to land use planning which requires consistency and compliance with the State Comprehensive Plan the way Florida does. More than likely, any job offer would come from a local planning agency which could translate into 3 years of State planning having minimal value in terms of qualifications. All comments are appreciated.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    State Planning? I believe that is a real problem. Local citizens have a better feeling on how the area should growth rather than having the State officials tell them how the State thinks it wants to grow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why would three years in state planning have little value? The same principles and practices in planning hold true at the state, regional or local levels. Oh, do check out the regional planning organizations in your search.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Having worked closely with provincial planners in th apast, I'd say you'll be OK, especially for long term/policy planning jobs. You probbaly have a depper understanding of programming and strategic thought that a local planner doing development review.

Since you are changing jurisdictions, your direct experience will be limited, and any job you get will be based on what your knowledge of planning theory and porgramming.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mileage2762004
    State Planning? I believe that is a real problem. Local citizens have a better feeling on how the area should growth rather than having the State officials tell them how the State thinks it wants to grow.
    It is true that local governments have a better idea on community wide impacts associated with growth. For this reason, local governments were required to prepare, adopt and implement comprehensive plans. However, there was no guidance initially and municipalities adopted plans with vague goals and policies that failed to look long term in relation to protection of scarce resources (particularly wetlands). The State plan has 25 goals and over 360 policies and local government plans must be consistent with the State plan. It's one of the most effective comprehensive planning systems to date.
    check out this site for a comparison of States and the different strategies employed. http://www.vapreservation.org/growth/state.htm

Registered
    Mar 2005
    So, my question is kindof the opposite. What about going from local/regional to State planning? The job I'm looking at is headed in a different direction than where I am now, but I think that's good -- actually closer to where I want to be (not there, mind you, but closer, I think). But I'm thinking there's probably huge differences because it's a home rule state. Will I be able to accomplish anything at the State level or is it all education and training related, rather than hands-on? Any ideas?
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning versus scheming
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Jul 2011, 11:26 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 5:33 AM
  3. Planning for local business/ local agriculture
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Jul 2006, 1:10 PM