Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Choice of Jobs

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Choice of Jobs

If you could have any PLANNING job right now in any location, where and what would it be?

Personally I would want to own my own Planning and Development firm located in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, or Madison.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    How funny that you posted this thread. I was going to post a thread this morning inquiring how everyone felt about their jobs and where they would be if not thier current location.

My point being that I have been here for 5 years (not THAT long I know) but I still enjoy my job and quite honestly there isn't anywhere else I would prefer to be right now. When I wake up in the morning I do not dread going to the office, I actually look forward to it. I mean of course there are mornings I do not want to get out of bed but it isn't because of the job. Of course I wish I made a little more money (I really do mean a little more, I am content with my salary but need a little more to keep up). There is a ton of stuff going on in this community, I am liked by the people I work wiht, my co-workers are great, I have a nice view of the Missouri River out my window and get to walk down historic main street whenever I want.

If I had to choose to be somewhere else or practicing a differenct aspect of planning I would choose to redevelop blighted areas, primarily lots of areas of St. Louis City. I would like to restore and reuse all of the hundreds of beautiful vacant buildings in te St. Louis City area, bring back some life there, reduce the crime and just clean it up. Redevelopment is the aspect of planning that I enjoy and would choose to do more of than I currently get to do. Otherwise I am working where I want to be working.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would be a professor at Texas State University and head up the planning track. I would get the program accredited through PAB and establish studio courses and more design instruction. I would do land planning on the side for mainly public entities (comprehensive plans, redevelopment plans, etc.) and some private development groups doing the "right kind" of projects. This consulting would possibly include planning for reconstruction of war-torn cities. I would employ graduate students for this consulting because they are poor and starving and need the experience. My leadership and local projects would make San Marcos, TX the mecca of planning thought in the south! (key assumption in this is that I am suddenly blessed with incredible planning knowledge and skill... maybe have a new planning paradigm named after me! )

I would also be that "cool" professor that all of the students hang out with at the bar, even though I would have a solid reputation for running a difficult, but fair class.

The planning program would eventually "spin-off" an architecture and landscape architecture program, rather than the other way around.

Despite all of that, I would still have time to relax and spend time with my family and enjoy my other hobbies.

Once all of this is complete, I will stage a coup at APA and overthrow the organization. The current APA website will be closed and redirected to Cyburbia. Those with the highest degrees of slackertude will rule with an iron fist, finally returning APA to prominence and getting them out of their ivory tower and obcession with all things Red China!!! MUUUWAAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Interesting topic considering a professional choice I made yesterday not to take an interview based on this "ideal" job I have...I'm not willing to sacrifice too much b/c I don't think I am all that picky (OK...maybe a bit geographically, but that's flexible as long as I can get to a metro area without being a big deal trip).

I want to move to a larger metro area. Would love to be in the NY Metro! The ideal job would have a land use and economic development component. I don't want to do site plan reviews allday nor do I want to hand out business assistance grants and tax breaks all day. A blend of the two disciplines in a county or town or city would be nice.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I actually like my current job and the small city I work for quite a bit. It's a great community, with very few exceptions. I'm not a prairie person however, and so I wish I could live closer to the ocean. I'm looking forward to living in Nova Scotia in a decade or a bit less, but I don't know too much about the towns out there right now so I'm not sure of a good one to work for. It would likely be on the north portion of NS though, Pictou County area eventually.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have none of the real skills or inclinations for this, so maybe this is not an ideal "job" per se but more an admiration of a certain type of developer, namely the small developer who specializes in "infill" commercial and residential development. I would love to have the capital to invest in downtown Vacaville, for example, to develop some of the underutilized properties I see around me. Of course, I have no clue how to implement this ideal job, so....we are merely dreaming here.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Right now all I can say is that if most days were like today I would not be responding to this thread because my "choice" job would have absolutely nothing to do with planning or government.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I am really happy here in Northern Colo. working for a small city government. Nice area and good job with lots to do.

My ideal job would be to own a lodge that is on a lake either in Northern Idaho, Minnesota, UP, or Canada. We would charter fishing and hunting trips, as well as skiing. We would be closed from New Years to April, and I would run the bar in the lobby at night, talking to all the guests...

...oh wait... planning...

I would like to either have a small design firm or run a small govt's planning office. I love Colorado, but someplace else with more definate winters and cooler summers would be great.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would work for a private firm handling all of their resort planning. (actually have a resumeand app into a firm like this right now, but am way underqualified, so we'll see)

Z: sounds like Park City/Summit County UT would be the place for you. Summit County is hiring right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    I would work for a private firm handling all of their resort planning. (actually have a resumeand app into a firm like this right now, but am way underqualified, so we'll see)

Z: sounds like Park City/Summit County UT would be the place for you. Summit County is hiring right now.
    I was about to say the same thing! Too bad you just got into that house!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    Yeah, too bad...

I also have a friend in Jackson Hole, WY that always sends me their ads for planning positions.... there's no lake but one hell of a "skiing hill"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is not a planner, but if I was, here are a few thoughts.....

Toronto
    I love transit, skyscrapers, skylines, the Great Lakes, cool downtown bars. If I was to be a planner in a major community, this would be the answer.

Marquette
    I love Lake Superior, the far north, fun winters, cool summers, fishing, clean lakes, waterfalls, cool town bars. If I was to be a planner in a small community, this would be the answer.

Other places I would consider.....Seattle area, Kalispell (Montana) area, Denver (but I wouldn't have a lawn ), Tampa Bay area, Duluth, Sault Ste. Marie.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I want a job where I can work on whatever the hell I find fascinating and worthwhile and have people throw money at me. I have the first part down but haven't figured out how to get people to throw money at me. Need for actual money may cause the entire thing to go straight to hell in the very near future.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Except for the heat wave we've had this summer I am in the place I have wanted to be for the past 5 years. Unfortunately, the same crap that has turned me off planning in small communioties is just as bad/worse in the city I work for now. I can see my planning career ending in the next 2 years.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd like to be city planner in a small beach town, like New Smyrna here in FL.

Ha, RJ. 4k clubbbbe me!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I'm actually getting out of planning, especially transprotation planning. We have multi-billion dollar projects in the pipeline that probably won't send the light of day. It's very disconcerting.

Now a real estate analysis and consulting firm based out of my house or DC/Alexandria would be the best job for me.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 1997
    I've worked so many places and done so many different jobs that I can no longer grok the notion of an "ideal." I have liked all of the jobs and all of the places in one way or another. And I have disliked them all, too.

I am a long ways from the enlightened state in which I can say I always feel that way, but I know in my heart that you carry the ideal with you.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like my job and my location. I am a home town boy. I want to help turn the ship around and I am interested in what I do mostly. I don't want to be management as they have to kiss both employee and their bosses ass and are closer to the firing line.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Well, I turned down a planning job on Sanibel Island a long time ago. If I had not turned it down, I would not have met my husband. So it worked out for the best, but sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to be the planner for Sanibel.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My ideal job would be one of two things:

1.) Campus Planner, for the University of Illinois or some other major public university

2.) If Chicago were to get serious about the 2016 Olympics, that would be a dream job.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I myself actully waited for a year and a half for a job to come available in my field in my area. My wife is a Grad student and relocating isn't possible till she is out. And now that i have a job, i love it and look forward to going to work everyday, now how much i enjoy the day after i deal with people all day is another story for another day

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 2:28 PM
  2. What school? Choice: NYU, USC, Pratt
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 7:41 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Jan 2007, 11:12 AM
  4. Choice of City
    Cities and Places