Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: (Washington, DC) Mayor proposes moving Metro offices to Anacostia

Registered
    Oct 2001

(Washington, DC) Mayor proposes moving Metro offices to Anacostia

This is a good idea. Government and public authority offices should not be in "high rent" districts:

washingtonpost.com
    Williams Proposes Moving Metro Offices to Anacostia

By Debbi Wilgoren
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, August 4, 2005; A01

Development east of the Anacostia River got a shove yesterday from Mayor Anthony A. Williams when he proposed that the Metro system sell its valuable downtown headquarters and build an office complex on empty land at a rail station in Southeast Washington.

Williams (D) said he also wants the city to build a mid-size municipal building at the Anacostia Metro station. Together, the projects would bring more than 1,300 daily workers to an area that is a 10-minute drive or train ride from downtown but is desolate, save for the morning and evening rush of commuters through the station.

The proposal comes at a time of unprecedented focus on the economic development potential of the Anacostia River, the waterway that has served as a painful socioeconomic dividing line.

A stadium for the Washington Nationals is the best-known project planned for the river's western side, near the booming Navy Yard area. A headquarters for the U.S. Department of Transportation is under construction there, and thousands of residences are planned.

Last month, President Bush asked Congress to give the city control of 110 acres of parkland on the eastern side of the river, opening the door for housing, a major museum or memorial and a waterfront park. The D.C. United soccer team has expressed interest in building a stadium in the area.

Williams's Anacostia Waterfront Initiative includes a host of other amenities along both sides of the eight-mile waterfront: neighborhoods, shops and cultural attractions; redesigned roads and bridges; and a river-walk trail.

"The momentum is there," Williams said. "WMATA would be adding greatly to it."

Several Metro board members said they were interested in selling their eight-story headquarters, east of MCI Center at Fifth and F streets NW. Real estate analysts said the building, which covers a city block, could sell for upward of $75 million. It was completed in 1974, when the East End itself was a neighborhood in need of renewal.

But Metro board Chairman T. Dana Kauffman questioned whether moving Metro's main operations control center, along with about 1,100 managers and employees, would be cost effective.

"It's not just a question of unplugging the PC and rolling it out. We'd have to relocate the brains of the operations control center," he said. "If it has a significant upside that we can turn into a real benefit for customers -- that's one thing. But if it's just a development opportunity for a jurisdiction, that's another."

Dan Tangherlini, D.C. transportation director and Metro board alternate, said it would be a boon to move the operations center, which, like the building, is outdated.

The center, he said, "is high-tech circa 1985. Why not sell the stuff that's worth a lot, in an old building in need of updating, and use the opportunity to get a new one?"

Metro board member Charles Deegan, who represents Prince George's County, said the cash-strapped agency should leverage its downtown asset: "The bus company doesn't have to be in the high-dollar neck of the woods."

The Anacostia Metro site, which the transit agency unsuccessfully tried to sell last year, spreads over 5.25 acres, officials said. About 3.5 acres are available for development. Williams said the site could support housing and retail, as well as offices for city agencies now renting elsewhere. The complex also would include headquarters for the Anacostia Waterfront Corp., a publicly chartered company created to steer redevelopment along the river.

The D.C. Council passed legislation requiring the corporation to locate east of the river rather than on the more-developed western side. Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8), a vocal proponent of that legislation, issued a statement yesterday saying he strongly supported Williams's proposal.

"We welcome the growth because of the potential for bringing more positive activity and jobs to our area. . . ," Barry's statement said. "We're just glad our time has come."

Williams called Barry the inspiration for the proposal, which he said was modeled after Barry's effort as mayor to trigger revitalization of the 14th and U Street corridors by locating the Reeves Municipal Center there.

Building at the Metro station would add a hub to the Anacostia neighborhood, which is showing signs of recovery after decades of decline.

Eight blocks north along Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, at the foot of the 11th Street bridges, an office and retail complex called the Anacostia Gateway broke ground last month.

King Avenue, which winds through the Anacostia business district, is starting its third year in the Main Streets revitalization program, which uses marketing and strategic planning to enhance existing businesses and attract new ones. The city's first light-rail project is also planned for the neighborhood.

An office complex would mean "more workers and increased customer base" for businesses and storefronts along the blighted street, said Yavocka Young, executive director of the Main Streets project. "Ithink it would be a great opportunity."

Staff writers Steven Ginsberg, Lindsey Layton and Lori A. Montgomery contributed to this report.

2005 The Washington Post Company

Advertising Links What's this?

Metro Part: Radiators and More
    Looking for a Metro part? With more than a thousand Metro radiator and cooling parts in stock, you're guaranteed to find your Metro part.
    www.radiator.com
    A-Air - Geo Metro AC Compressors
    Auto A/C compressors and AC parts for Geo Metro, Prizm, Spectrum, Storm and Tracker.
    www.a-aironline.com
    Remotes for Your Metro
    Replace lost keyless entry remotes. Pay only 50 percent of dealership prices.
    www.keylessride.com

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I disagree totally. Government offices should be in the heart of the city, for symbolic reasons if nothing else. Moving major functions to cheap, often out of the way locations often further weakens downtowns.

Of course, we could simply move government offices to trailers hidden beneath freeways-the evil drones deserve no better. Or, maybe we should privatize all government functions (maybe to off-shore locations) for efficiency. You want real police, hire a private security force.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I disagree totally. Government offices should be in the heart of the city, for symbolic reasons if nothing else. Moving major functions to cheap, often out of the way locations often further weakens downtowns.

Of course, we could simply move government offices to trailers hidden beneath freeways-the evil drones deserve no better. Or, maybe we should privatize all government functions (maybe to off-shore locations) for efficiency. You want real police, hire a private security force.

I disagree. If Metro moved from downtown to Anacostia, it wouldn't be missed. Downtown Washington, has enough going for it, that it wouldn't miss Metro. Anacostia could use more employers and employees along MLK Jr. Blvd. Just as long as they are not lighting up underneath The Big Chair.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I disagree. If Metro moved from downtown to Anacostia, it wouldn't be missed. Downtown Washington, has enough going for it, that it wouldn't miss Metro. Anacostia could use more employers and employees along MLK Jr. Blvd. Just as long as they are not lighting up underneath The Big Chair.
    You are right, downtown Washington is really booming right now. Metro's HQ was built in a low rent district but that was 20 years ago. It's now time to move to lower rent digs and cash out their investment. The payoff would probably avoid a fare increase for a year or more and for me as a rider that's worth doing.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    It's not like this is a move to some edge city office park. Anacostia is a long-blighted part of the inner city that will redevelop along perfectly urban lines.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cirrus
    It's not like this is a move to some edge city office park. Anacostia is a long-blighted part of the inner city that will redevelop along perfectly urban lines.
    And not just that the host city is boing to pave the way. They will not only facilitate Metro building a new HQ building, but will build a DC government office building there. DC made a similar move to locate the Reeves Municipal Building in a blighted neighborhood at 14th. and U st. several decades ago. Now 14th. and U thanks to the municipal investment and a new subway station is the new bohemia in DC.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Didn't Marion Barry relocate some city offices to MLK Blvd. when he was mayor to spur some development and to bring jobs closer to his constituents from 'his' side of the river.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Jul 2005, 11:23 AM
  2. (Washington, DC) Fixing Metro
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jun 2005, 11:24 PM
  3. Replies: 1