Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is your Sheriff this tough?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Is your Sheriff this tough?

With recent jail over crowding in many places, maybe this guy is the answer.

With temperatures being even hotter than usual in Phoenix (116 degrees just set a new record), the Associated Press reports: About 2,000 inmates living in a barbed-wire-surrounded tent encampment at the Maricopa County Jail have been given permission to strip down to their government-issued pink boxer shorts.

Do you think that a program like this would work in your community?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Off topic
    This story allows me to use one of my favorite (sarcasm) sayings:
    "You know its not the heat...Its the humidity"
    The sheriff has been around for a while and so has this story. I think its pretty clear that he is the only with the intestinal fortitude to pull this off....ok, Maybe he and the guy in Okemos, MI who fired his employees for smoking on their personal time.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    From what I know about the man, and from living in AZ, that "article" doesn't tell the full story. Tents yes, but they aren't pup tents and the guys aren't sleeping on the ground. Massive tents have been set up with bunk beds inside. Also, there are fans and I think when it gets too hot they do have swamp coolers that they can turn on for mild comfort. The pink boxers however are not a joke.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2002
    This guy has been around for a while. Lots of tv stuff too including 60 Minutes I believe. I've always wondered why more places don't go back to the old chain gangs to get more public works projects completed.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Love it, love it. I've always had issues with stories you hear about country-club type prisons. Hey, if I can't afford cable tv for myself, I certainly don't want to be paying for it at the prison!!
    I'm surprised that this guy has been re-elected so many times, but impressed - good for him!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The Sheriff in Davidson County, NC was tough he had a car painted with a spiderweb on it, the inside of the jail was painted pink, and things like that, i can't remember everything maybe some other folks from NC fill you end on the details. But he did get removed from office for embezzellment but on the good side his bar-b-que sauce was tasty

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    With recent jail over crowding in many places, maybe this guy is the answer.

Do you think that a program like this would work in your community?
    I like that. Enough giving prisoners color tv, computers, basketball courts, etc. They commited crimes, they should not have such luxaries.

As far as would a program like that work in my community. Maybe, but I think in the winter when it is below freezing for weeks on end, they might want to wear a little more than pink boxers.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our sheriff is a woman and she is tough but compassionate. The County goes out of our way to treat prisoners well. Just recently the Commissioners approved additional budgeting for better health services for the prisoners (which included money to improve security during services). Our jail is not really over-crowded. I guess our people are just a little better behaved than other places, or our criminals are smarter.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Originally posted by MD planner
    I've always wondered why more places don't go back to the old chain gangs to get more public works projects completed.
    Unions....its because of unions. This is not to incite debate or mud slinging. But
    I know this because one day in high school, myself and another member of our soccer team took it upon ourselves to cut the grass on our playing and practice fields. We didn't get in trouble because we were "defacing" school property, or were driving "unathorized" vehicles on the grounds or for any other number of reasons. We got in trouble because the union that represents the maintenance staff was upset that we were taking work away from them.

No joke.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner
    Unions....its because of unions. This is not to incite debate or mud slinging. But
    I know this because one day in high school, myself and another member of our soccer team took it upon ourselves to cut the grass on our playing and practice fields. We didn't get in trouble because we were "defacing" school property, or were driving "unathorized" vehicles on the grounds or for any other number of reasons. We got in trouble because the union that represents the maintenance staff was upset that we were taking work away from them.

No joke.
    That is a great point and yet another reason that Unions Pi$$ me off.
    If something needs to get done, it needs to get done. When I was at my last job we where in a Union and it was a joke. While some people still worked as hard as they could, others did the absolute minimum to prevent getting fired, knowing that the Union would look after them.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nope.

http://www.sheriffcabral.com/about/

Our sheriff's office actually does nothing but transport those facing trial and some prisoners, and run the county jails. It does not respond to criminal complaints or arrest people.

Used to be that, in Indiana, the Sheriff had a per diem for feeding the prisoners. If he spent below that amount, he could keep whatever was left over. It was a racket of immense proportions, and the allegations of prisoners that all they were ever fed was bologna was, apparently, true.

As an opponent of the death penalty, I believe that prisons are too easy. A life sentence should be about hard time, not TV, free weights and pinochle. A nice dark hole somewhere, however ...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Mar 2012, 12:43 PM
  2. Probably a pretty tough GTC
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 31 May 2005, 4:31 PM
  3. Tough as.... ah....nails?