Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: bikeway dreams

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005

bikeway dreams

I am a new member to Cyburbia. I joined because I want to get some feedback or advice from any professionals out there. I am a recent graduate (Fall 2004) in landscape architecture and now work for a firm in Sacramento. I am learning a wealth of information in planning and becoming an expert in CAD and photoshop, which is good. My firm works mostly on planning and designing communities (subdivisions) with some parks, cemeteries, and streetscapes thrown in. I feel as though I am contributing to sprawl when I work on these subdivisions and it is not the work I have a passion for. I have a passion for creating livable and walkable cities with an emphasis on connecting these cities with trails and bikeways. I am taking a GIS class at night at a local college here and I am debating on going back to get my masters in urban design. Does anyone out there have any good advice or share the same interests?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome! Hope others can give you the info you need.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from slightly north of the Alamo City!

I've thought of shifting my career focus toward design to create these neighborhoods. In my ideal, perfect world, I am independently wealthy and can sink gobs of money into designing my dream neighborhood (city really) without regard for profits. Alas, I work for the government...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Welcome.

Sorry not career advice for you at the moment, but your experience in photoshop could come in handy here.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome from Fairfield, CA -- just 45 miles "west" on I-80.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from NW Florida.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Hagen
    I feel as though I am contributing to sprawl when I work on these subdivisions and it is not the work I have a passion for. I have a passion for creating livable and walkable cities with an emphasis on connecting these cities with trails and bikeways.
    Get out while you still can. Don't let the passion get smothered by repetition sprawl with subdivision names (notice I didn't say neighborhood names) like Whispering Willow, Cedar Bend or Hickory Stream "an exclusive community".

Enjoy Cyburbia and don't let the hypocrisy of our profession get you down.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome... if you want to get into planning, get away from GIS/CAD. You'll get pigeon-holed there for a long time to come. See this thread. If you are in a large enough firm, you may be able to work with your supervisor about learning more in areas you are interested in. If you like bicycle planning, maybe look into some of the things that Davis is doing (just 15 minutes away from you!), and keep abreast of any job openings there. Work the California APA meetings as much as you can, there are a lot of planners out there and a lot of gatherings. There are many local chapters in your area (Sacramento, Bay Area, etc.) Good luck!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from a bear in NW Ohio, just hanging around with a bunch of planning geeks. You will like these people. Even when they annoy you. Kinda like a brother or something.

Enjoy your stay.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from SW Indiana.
    I too have a interest in and work experience with urban trails.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome from NW Washington
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello from Houston! Yes, we do have planners here
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hagen
    I am a new member to Cyburbia. I joined because I want to get some feedback or advice from any professionals out there. I am a recent graduate (Fall 2004) in landscape architecture and now work for a firm in Sacramento. I am learning a wealth of information in planning and becoming an expert in CAD and photoshop, which is good. My firm works mostly on planning and designing communities (subdivisions) with some parks, cemeteries, and streetscapes thrown in. I feel as though I am contributing to sprawl when I work on these subdivisions and it is not the work I have a passion for. I have a passion for creating livable and walkable cities with an emphasis on connecting these cities with trails and bikeways. I am taking a GIS class at night at a local college here and I am debating on going back to get my masters in urban design. Does anyone out there have any good advice or share the same interests?
    hi! one of my good friends has her bachelors in landscape architecture. for a number of years she worked for a greenways company in NC. she really enjoyed her job and from the sound of it got to work on interesting projects. right now she is back in graduate school getting her degree in urban & regional planning. ultimately she would like to teach environmental planning to landscape architecture students.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey- welcome!

It seems like you could have taken your intro from something I have written in the past! Those jobs are out there but are limited and very limited in $$ generally. If you don't have a family, kids and large debts though....now would be the time to venture into the more "ideal" side of planning. Check out these guys at Alta Planning & Design. From what I have read on their website, I think they do some really good work that may fit into your future path. Good luck!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Hello. You have come to the right place! Have fun and post often.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome aboard mate!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Greetings from Kansas!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 26 Feb 2014, 10:28 AM
  2. Wildest dreams....
    Friday Afternoon Club