Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: List of America's 237 most liberal and most conservative cities

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

List of America's 237 most liberal and most conservative cities

From the Bay Area Center for Voting Research:
    http://www.votingresearch.org/index.html

Click on underlined Liberal or Conservative for lists.
    Beginning of their Press Release:

NEW STUDY RANKS AMERICA’S MOST LIBERAL AND CONSERVATIVE CITIES

Detroit tops liberal list; Provo, UT most conservative

BERKELEY, CA – A new nationwide study released today by the nonpartisan Bay Area Center for Voting Research (BACVR) ranks the political leanings of every American city and finds that Detroit, Michigan is the most liberal and Provo, Utah the most conservative.

Found through AP Wire Article from the Indy Star:
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...14/1006/NEWS01
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Strange that the "most conservative" cities are almost exclusively in the Sun Belt, not the Deep South where I would have expected. This is likely due to the high number of African-Americans in the South and older retirees in the Sun Belt. Also, the Cuban-Americans in Hialeah, FL tilt the balance there. Interesting.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Strange that the "most conservative" cities are almost exclusively in the Sun Belt, not the Deep South where I would have expected. This is likely due to the high number of African-Americans in the South and older retirees in the Sun Belt. Also, the Cuban-Americans in Hialeah, FL tilt the balance there. Interesting.
    You cannot make a blanket statement like that. There are pockets of blue and red in just about every state. Atlanta proper (City of Atlanta, Decatur, and DeKalb County) are very liberal while the outer suburbs are very conservative. It is difficult to make a blanket statement that this is a conservative or liberal area. The definitions of these two terms are relative as well. A conservative in the Northeast may be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. In the south that is called a liberal. We need get beyond easy generalizations of these topics and delve deeper into specifics.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DRJ
    You cannot make a blanket statement like that.
    Actually, I can make whatever type of statement I choose, as long as it is within the bounds of this board's rules. However in this case, I was not generalizing. I was referring to the specific list posted in THIS thread. This study and list appear to be concerned with the central cities, not their respective suburbs or states.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Patently ridiculous. Way too much weight given to black voters. “Liberal” and “votes democratic” are not synonyms.

Gary more liberal than San Francisco and New York? Please.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Moderator note:
    Okay, let's not get personal here. DRJ - jmello is correct in that his response was relevant in terms of the list being discussed. jmello - you need to relax a bit, I didn't see DRJ's response as the vicious personal attack you seem to think it is.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Dallas listed as more liberal than Austin???

These lists are fun, but I really don't know how you can rank liberal cities vs. conservative cities. It's like deciding where the best place to live is.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I think we should take a look back at the 2004 election thread that showed the results by county. In, heavily Democratic states like California only a small percentage of the land area voted Democratic, while the majority of the land voted Republican.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Dallas listed as more liberal than Austin???
    Yeah, when I saw that I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard! Anyone who is familiar with Dallas and Austin knows this is very, very wrong.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Doesn't make sense to me, a list of 237?

You can make everyone happy then. I saw cities that were on both lists... Lakewood, Colorado; Hialeah, FL? Come on, you can't be both.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Look at me, I'm a liberal! This is highly amusing. While Detroit is entrenched in Democratic politics, it is hardly a liberal bastion. There is really not that much the separates the Dems from the Republicans in our state, both lean very much on family values, hunters rights, pro-manufacturing, and I doubt that Detroit would pass as a gay/hippie friendly city in anyones views (a true litmus test of liberalism).

As divisive as politicos make race in this region, I would suspect that would hinder us from being liberal as well. But make no mistake about it, we're all about FDR in Detroit and exemplify the Dems that no longer exist elsewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    While Detroit is entrenched in Democratic politics, it is hardly a liberal bastion. There is really not that much the separates the Dems from the Republicans in our state, both lean very much on family values, hunters rights, pro-manufacturing, and I doubt that Detroit would pass as a gay/hippie friendly city in anyones views (a true litmus test of liberalism).

Cambridge, MA is only # 8? I would argue that it's MUCH more liberal than Detroit. What is their methodology? They’ve obviously never been to Cambridge (or seen the “02138 – America’s most liberal zip code” T-shirts).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Doesn't make sense to me, a list of 237?

You can make everyone happy then. I saw cities that were on both lists... Lakewood, Colorado; Hialeah, FL? Come on, you can't be both.
    I think both lists are the same cities, just reversed in order. I believe it is 237 of the largest cities in the nation (probably cut off at some pop. point).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlanBoston
    Cambridge, MA is only # 8? I would argue that it's MUCH more liberal than Detroit. What is their methodology? They’ve obviously never been to Cambridge (or seen the “02138 – America’s most liberal zip code” T-shirts).
    I think they are usiing liberal as codespeak for minorities? I would think Ann Arbor would be the liberalist place in Michigan, but alas its mostly white.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Yay for Cambridge.. number 8 isn't bad. I knew I'd like living there.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Actually, I can make whatever type of statement I choose, as long as it is within the bounds of this board's rules. However in this case, I was not generalizing. I was referring to the specific list posted in THIS thread. This study and list appear to be concerned with the central cities, not their respective suburbs or states.
    I did not mean to say that this was against board rules. I meant that the dissecting of the topic was difficult since the are conservative and liberal elements in every city. Even San Francisco, arguable one of the more liberal cities, has a more conservative element to it in and around its financial district.

With Detroit, Gary and Flint on the most liberal cities list, it appears that this group formulated it's statistics in such a way as to maybe show that liberalism is responsible for urban decay. Ya think?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The 'Bay Area Center for Voting Research' rated New York City, at #21. Ridiculous...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cirrus
    Patently ridiculous. Way too much weight given to black voters. “Liberal” and “votes democratic” are not synonyms.
    I couldn't agree more. The presumption that political party choice is an absolute reflection of ideology is bogus. Such an approach completely ignores regional political differences.
    Should we assume Republicans in California are equally conservative as Republicans in Texas because they vote in the same percentages? And the idea that blacks vote democratic because they are very liberal is b.s. too. Party politics, especially locally, are about way more than ideology. And when we're talking about racial politics we're really not talking about political views in any meaningful way.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    There may be some insights to be gleaned from this survey, but I would say it is significantly flawed at best.

Local talk radio personality Thom Hartmann talked about it this morning. He said he doesn't think it's very meaningful because it never says what questions were asked. Liberal is a pretty generic term, highly open to interpretation. People's professed beliefs do not always match up to their actual way of life; i.e. "Walk their talk".
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I think we should take a look back at the 2004 election thread that showed the results by county. In, heavily Democratic states like California only a small percentage of the land area voted Democratic, while the majority of the land voted Republican.
    The LAND voted??????
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NDL
    The 'Bay Area Center for Voting Research' rated New York City, at #21. Ridiculous...
    Speaking of NYC at #21, I saw this in Newsweek yesterday:

"New York has Staten Island, and half of Queens, and cabdrivers."
    --National pollster John Zogby, explaining why New York City was ranked only the country's 21st-most-liberal city.
    Last edited by Bubba; 16 Aug 2005 at 9:35 AM.

Surprised that Colorado Springs isn't ranked higher. I can't imagine a place more right-wing neo-conserative than that.

Registered
    May 2003
    So people who vote for Kerry are liberals and people who voted for Bush are conservatives?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that cirrus had already made this point.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    The LAND voted??????
    Well, you know that THE LAND, being created by GAWWWWWD, is inherently going to vote for God's Own Party

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 130
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 2:16 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 4:38 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Feb 2011, 12:18 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Feb 2011, 10:01 PM
  5. America's most drunk cities