Hello,

I've posted enough FAC stuff that it was finally time for a more serious one:

Most of you are aware of the flag etiquette standards that require U.S. flags to be lit at all times outdoors, either by sunlight or other means. Most places choose to place a spotlight in the ground that shines light directly into the sky, illuminating the flag and sky. This type of lighting is inefficient and causes light pollution. Also, the fixtures can be easily damaged or get moisture inside them.

My City has had a Dark Sky Ordinance on the books for about a year now, which includes a special exemption for flag uplighting as long as it does not exceed 1,300 lumens. I've gotten tired of taking down the flags at City Hall when I leave, and would rather leave them up at night. This means I need some way to light them. I would like to make our City Hall a prime example of how to properly light a flag for the Dark Sky requirements, but do it without uplighting. I've snooped around on the internet some and have found those little balls that go on top of the pole with lights built in. The problem with those is they are real pricy (like $600) and seem to have a difficult installation.

I felt that I probably wasn't the only city with this problem, so I'm asking this in Design, Space & Place since it seems a bit like an architecture/LA question. Does anyone have examples for downlighting a flagpole or any links to information on it? I tried the Dark Sky website, but was a little disappointed that they didn't have links to products.