Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Purchases

Registered
    Sep 2001

Ebay Purchases

I know many of us check and use ebay regularily, so what do you buy? or do you just window shop?

My most recent purchase is a set of pulp magazines from the 50's with the first serialized version of Heinlein's "Door into Summer".

Most of my purchases are books and some bike parts.

Hopefully the vintage mountain bike I am currently "winning" on does not get bid up much more than what it is at now. The bike is a hard to find mid 80's Fat Chance in my size, double rare in Canada.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Use to shop ebay, but ran into a lot of problems with their preferred pay program (paypal), so I stopped. My paypal account was hacked several times, and since the security on the system wasn't good enough to keep out the hackers, I decided to leave. Not a lot of users take non-paypal transactions anymore.

After cancelling the account last year, I've been tracking how many spams I've gotten based on that account. It's down to about one a month, from one a week at first. Of course, paypal says "your account is closed. We dont know why you're getting spam." Hellooo - it's because your security sucks!

I used ebay for books, mostly, plus needlework supplies.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I buy unpopular (to most) video games and odd music, computer parts, etc.

Ms B bought tongue rings, unusual pint glasses, and childrens clothes.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It's gotten so big, you can't find anything generic. You end up with about a gazillion hits you have to sift through. I've bought a few books there, but gave up several years ago.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I mostly buy old books. I've sold books and records on e-bay.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I bought several old cameras a while back. After getting three via UPS in one day, the Mrs. put a stop to my purchasing.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    I bought several old cameras a while back. After getting three via UPS in one day, the Mrs. put a stop to my purchasing.
    I have an old one you can have, no charge. It belonged to the ex's father, 35mm, probably from the '50's or '60's. Or is that not old enough?

Registered
    Mar 2005

I was afraid of that...

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    Use to shop ebay, but ran into a lot of problems with their preferred pay program (paypal), so I stopped. My paypal account was hacked several times, and since the security on the system wasn't good enough to keep out the hackers, I decided to leave. Not a lot of users take non-paypal transactions anymore.
    I would like to start selling some of the excess around my house, and needed to give ebay access to a checking account to do it. I was afraid of the security issue, so I opened a brand new account at my bank, not connected to my other accounts. I gave paypal access to it, got a debit card for it and put $20 in there. I figure I will only use this account for ebay and if I lose 20 bucks, well, then I lose 20 bucks -- and no more. (Problem is the time and motivation to take the photos and put stuff up for sale. So far, I've spent $8, but haven't sold anything yet ).
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have bought name brand purses and jeans a few times off Ebay and am getting ready to look around there to buy my son a pair of shoes called Heelies he wants these shoes that have a removable wheel on the bottom and they're about 80$ at the mall but I have found an "off" brand on ebay for 1/3 of the price...
    I have never sold anything on ebay, but have considered it and probably will in the future...(trying to think of something to do with that STUPID (beautiful) wedding dress )

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I have an old one you can have, no charge. It belonged to the ex's father, 35mm, probably from the '50's or '60's. Or is that not old enough?
    Sure, I'll PM my address to you. Most of mine are older than that, but that era is cool too.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Have bought many things on eBay...old punk rock collectables, video games, dvd's, poker chips, gifts for others....I've used it on and off for about 6 or 7 years.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I have bought name brand purses and jeans a few times off Ebay and am getting ready to look around there to buy my son a pair of shoes called Heelies he wants these shoes that have a removable wheel on the bottom and they're about 80$ at the mall but I have found an "off" brand on ebay for 1/3 of the price...
    I have never sold anything on ebay, but have considered it and probably will in the future...(trying to think of something to do with that STUPID (beautiful) wedding dress )

I was trying to get my wife to put her wedding dress on ebay. A very popular wedding dress shop in Baltimore went bankrupt and lot of would be brides would not get the dress they ordered. She still hasn't done it yet. I've bought a watch, my books for school, and records on ebay.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Toy soldiers, history books (out of print), tour de france stuff

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I've bought wedding-related stuff such as silk flowers and silk bags off of ebay. Recently, BEK and I have been collecting decorative soapstone eggs from Kenya and have managed to buy several of them from ebay for very good prices.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I was trying to get my wife to put her wedding dress on ebay. A very popular wedding dress shop in Baltimore went bankrupt and lot of would be brides would not get the dress they ordered. She still hasn't done it yet. I've bought a watch, my books for school, and records on ebay.
    The only reason I haven't put it there yet is because I didn't see many of them going at a reasonable price (reasonable for the seller )...there are so many "new" dresses and sites on Ebay I thought it may be a waste of time...I may try it and put a reserve on the dress so that it doesn't get bought for "nothing"...you may want to see if she can try a co-signment shop...I am going to see how a co-signment shop works and decide then what to do with it....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mostly sporting goods for me, a bike, bike parts, ski gear, roof racks.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Used to get old beer signs, hockey stuff, etc. I tried to get concert tickets once, but was outbid by someone who programmed it to automatically bid $1.50 over the highest bidder...
    Haven't used it for a while. Every now and again I will check into it and see what's out there.

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    After cancelling the account last year, I've been tracking how many spams I've gotten based on that account. It's down to about one a month, from one a week at first. Of course, paypal says "your account is closed. We dont know why you're getting spam." Hellooo - it's because your security sucks!

I used ebay for books, mostly, plus needlework supplies.
    I looked into EBay a while ago and got a couple messages on my work email saying "Your Ebay account may have been hacked into. Please respond with your account name, password, CC# you have saved on this account and your SSN... "

Kind of made me think. WOuld they really need me to confirm my SSN and Credit Card number? And Why are they emailing me at work. I put my Ebay account under a different email address...

Watch yourself, Cyburbia!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I've sold a few things there, but had only bought a book until earlier this year. I "bought" a laptop, but the seller also sold it though a second-chance auction to someone else. He took both our payments and didn't send either of us the laptop. We both filed grievances with PayPal and we both got some of our money back, but not all of it. It was a rather painful lesson that ebay purchases are not all guaranteed and that people can be bad (and he was even Canadian!!!!)

Since I found craigslist, though, I haven't really felt the need to use ebay anymore. It's much easier, buying and selling, as long as you're in a big enough community. We sold a lot of stuff through craigslist before we moved and made a lot more than we would have having a yard sale or something.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by geobandito
    Since I found craigslist, though, I haven't really felt the need to use ebay anymore. It's much easier, buying and selling, as long as you're in a big enough community. We sold a lot of stuff through craigslist before we moved and made a lot more than we would have having a yard sale or something.
    Ditto. I just sold my Land Rover on Craigslist, after two eBay transactions were not finished by the buyers. Now, my antique pick up is listed there too (cross fingers) and the car I want to buy is there!

I'm made 1000's on eBay though, most buyers are very good.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Used to get old beer signs, hockey stuff, etc. I tried to get concert tickets once, but was outbid by someone who programmed it to automatically bid $1.50 over the highest bidder...
    Haven't used it for a while. Every now and again I will check into it and see what's out there.

I looked into EBay a while ago and got a couple messages on my work email saying "Your Ebay account may have been hacked into. Please respond with your account name, password, CC# you have saved on this account and your SSN... "

Kind of made me think. WOuld they really need me to confirm my SSN and Credit Card number? And Why are they emailing me at work. I put my Ebay account under a different email address...

Watch yourself, Cyburbia!

That's called "Fishing" and is never legitimate.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've been buying old maps and I recently started buying old postcard folders that show 15-20 pictures of a city or region.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    E-Bay is blocked at work. I have never bought anything from E-bay. Every time I look on there to buy something I realize that I can get it for the same price at a local store.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I buy a wide variety of things from time to time on Ebay... recently headliner fabric for my Volvo 740. When an old lady crashed into my Volvo...I bought all the parts on Ebay (grill, headlights, turning light)

I have also gotten ski boots, norwegian pewter things, dale sweaters, brass turkish coffee grinders (use for pepper grinders)
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I bought some dishes about 5 years ago. They match some that my grandmother had given me. Fireking Azurite Charm in case any of you know what I am talking about, they are light blue and square.
    The price on these has gone way up with Ebay available, I can't hardly afford to buy them anymore.

And they were the dishes my grandparents ate off of every day!

Recently I thought I would get back on and look. I was looking for a gold fish pond pump. But impulse bought local before I could get all the pay pal stuff lined up.
    King B had his concerns about the security with pay pal and insisted that I start a seperate account, so I did.

I am currently waiting for my last purchase to arrive. It should be any day. A rhinestone pin that says I SELL HOMES. I thought that would be cool and flashy!

I have never sold. But I might.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    queenb...check out http://www.replacements.com/ for china replacements...I have used them.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 90
    Last post: 24 Apr 2006, 3:15 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 May 2005, 4:06 AM
  3. Another ebay auction
    Friday Afternoon Club