Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wage negotiations and public records

Registered
    Jun 2004

Wage negotiations and public records

After seeing a couple of jobs posted on several sites, i was wondering is it common practice when going to work for a organization that employs, let say 5 planner II's to request the wage information for those employees so that you can see where you are in terms of salary or do you just go by the salary range? What are the thoughts on that?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Good question.

I think it would be reasonable to make such a request when going to work for a municipality or other public entity when it is a matter of publci record.

When working in the private sector I don't think it would fly real well.

Good luck. If you ask let us know if you get the info.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sure....

Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    After seeing a couple of jobs posted on several sites, i was wondering is it common practice when going to work for a organization that employs, let say 5 planner II's to request the wage information for those employees so that you can see where you are in terms of salary or do you just go by the salary range? What are the thoughts on that?
    If its public information, go ahead and ask....but keep in mind that experience can make a difference in pay rates (range)....not just the title.....Also check with similar nearby cities to see if salaries are close..... In the end, you should go for what you think your worth and not worry so much about everyone else, gotta sell yourself to yourself first
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2004
    You could also see if wage information is available at the city's website, therefore eliminating the need to ask in the first place. Our wage information is readily available as well as the job descriptions (click on one of the alphabetical ranges to see job titles starting with those letters): http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/jobdesc/default.cfm

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    You could also see if wage information is available at the city's website, therefore eliminating the need to ask in the first place. Our wage information is readily available as well as the job descriptions (click on one of the alphabetical ranges to see job titles starting with those letters): http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/jobdesc/default.cfm
    I understand that the range is available. I am talking the actual wage of the person in those positions. to get an idea what they pay with experience. In NC it is considered a matter of public record and anyone can get your wage, hire date, position, tenure and so on.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. access to email as public records?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jan 2007, 12:06 PM
  2. Public records requests
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Feb 2006, 7:55 PM
  3. Public records requests in FL
    Make No Small Plans